By using Norwichtalk.com services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

A few outside thoughts about Norwich

K

Kid Chameleon

I'm a Spurs fan and there are some things I feel I need to get off my chest about your club. I don't get why they consistently fail to compete in the Premier League when they have a team that comfortably wins the Championship.

I think you've persisted long enough with Daniel Farke and Steve Bruce seems like a good fit. Former player who played in your 84/85 league cup winning team and plenty of experience at the lower end of the Premier League table. I think he is more likely to keep you up than Daniel Farke and it looks like he's going to be available in the not too distant future.

I'm a 90s nostalgic and I would love to see all the old teams from the early days of the Premier League back in the top flight. I want Norwich back for good and beating Bayern Munich again, I want your Tractor Boy mates from down the road, I want Nottingham Forest, Sheffield Wednesday, Sheffield United, Oldham Athletic, Queens Park Rangers, Coventry City and AFC Wimbledon (in lieu of the Crazy Gang). I want them all back.

I'd also like to thank you for your help in the development of Oliver Skipp last season. Skipp is a player I particularly want to succeed because he's from my hometown and went to schools and football clubs I remember from my own childhood.

I have a couple of questions for you:

1) Are you content with Norwich going up and down between the top two divisions or do you want them to do better?
2) Would you want Steve Bruce to be your manager?

morty

morty

Staff member
No, I'm not trying to troll. This is just something that's been on my mind for a while.
Our self financing model is the reason we can't get established, most of our fans are all too aware of it, so accept it. But unfortunately the rest of football no longer plays by our rules, and there may well come a time where we are no longer sustainable. Every single thing our owners do is for the good of the club, they are long term fans and will not risk the long term future for short term success.

Of course I would love us to do better, but if you look at the money kicking around, that won't happen without some external investment. But, to be honest, the last ten years has been amazing, right from we went down to league one, won it, got promoted from the Championship to the Premier league, rinse and repeat. There is always something to fight for every season, rather than just hoping to stay in a league you will never, ever win.

We survive by being well run, and developing players like in recent seasons Jamal Lewis, James Maddison, Emi Buendia and Ben Godfrey.

The reason you will be unlikely to see a lot of those clubs mentioned in your first post, back in the Premier league is that most of them are in a shit financial state.

And Steve Bruce? Not for me, we expect a certain brand of football, and it isn't his!

morty

morty

Staff member
How do you feel about the fact there is another competitor, in Newcastle, for a Champion's league place?

K

Kid Chameleon

How do you feel about the fact there is another competitor, in Newcastle, for a Champion's league place?
I don't see them as a threat at this stage but maybe in about five years. For this season, my heart is set on us winning the Europa Conference League.

As a neutral, I'm actually excited for Newcastle. I loved watching the 95/96 title race and would love to see drama like that again. I wouldn't want a Saudi takeover for Tottenham because I'm proud of our history and I don't want it tainted by the notion of "bought" success. We'll find a way to compete on our own terms as we always do.

morty

morty

Staff member
I don't see them as a threat at this stage but maybe in about five years. For this season, my heart is set on us winning the Europa Conference League.

As a neutral, I'm actually excited for Newcastle. I loved watching the 95/96 title race and would love to see drama like that again. I wouldn't want a Saudi takeover for Tottenham because I'm proud of our history and I don't want it tainted by the notion of "bought" success. We'll find a way to compete on our own terms as we always do.
It took Man City a few seasons before they won the Premier league so, no, they aren't an immediate threat.

There are a lot of dynamics that could change, and a lot of debate around what they did, I think they are mostly just glad to be rid of Mike Ashley, who, lets face it, only ever wanted to turn a profit, and has zero emotional attachment to the club. "Bought success" really applies to just about every Premier league club apart from Norwich, but I take your point.

Not so sure about the moral outrage over Saudis, really it is nobodies business other than Newcastle's. I can see the big six clubs not being happy with it, as they prefer the status quo, and like I say, this removes a Champion's league place, potentially, from one of them. I think we will see the idea of the super league re-emerge, at some point soon.

N

Number 9

I'm a Spurs fan and there are some things I feel I need to get off my chest about your club. I don't get why they consistently fail to compete in the Premier League when they have a team that comfortably wins the Championship.

I think you've persisted long enough with Daniel Farke and Steve Bruce seems like a good fit. Former player who played in your 84/85 league cup winning team and plenty of experience at the lower end of the Premier League table. I think he is more likely to keep you up than Daniel Farke and it looks like he's going to be available in the not too distant future.

I'm a 90s nostalgic and I would love to see all the old teams from the early days of the Premier League back in the top flight. I want Norwich back for good and beating Bayern Munich again, I want your Tractor Boy mates from down the road, I want Nottingham Forest, Sheffield Wednesday, Sheffield United, Oldham Athletic, Queens Park Rangers, Coventry City and AFC Wimbledon (in lieu of the Crazy Gang). I want them all back.

I'd also like to thank you for your help in the development of Oliver Skipp last season. Skipp is a player I particularly want to succeed because he's from my hometown and went to schools and football clubs I remember from my own childhood.

I have a couple of questions for you:

1) Are you content with Norwich going up and down between the top two divisions or do you want them to do better?
2) Would you want Steve Bruce to be your manager?
I'm not in favour of going up & down.
I believe that enough of our players would be sufficient to stay in the Prem but Farke's naive tactics, despite blitzing the Championship, have been to our detriment in the big league.

Morty's point about being self funded is true except most of those, including Farke, who use that as an excuse for not reaching potential fail to appreciate the impact financially that surviving a few seasons in the Premier League would have on the club.

N

Number 9

Really?

K

Kid Chameleon

Yes, because I see it as an opportunity for us to help establish a new competition which is what we did when we were the first British club to win a European trophy back in 1963. When Tottenham Hotspur win a trophy, people take notice. "Tottenham won this" sounds a lot better than "Tottenham fielded a weak team and were beaten by a team whose name we can't remember" and if we take the competition seriously other clubs will too and the competition will grow in stature and importance.

K

Kid Chameleon

Just to reflect a bit more on the situation at Norwich, I don't think it would require a lot of investment to get the team to have a proper stab at staying in the Premier League because you've already got a pretty good team. Brentford and Watford are both outperforming you because they want it more, not because they've spent a lot of money.

It's sad really because compared to most of the clubs I mentioned in my opening post, you're within touching distance of re-establishing yourselves in the top flight and, if the ECL takes off, you may even have a shot at bringing European football back to Carrow Road.

Thomas the Tank Engine

Thomas the Tank Engine

Just to reflect a bit more on the situation at Norwich, I don't think it would require a lot of investment to get the team to have a proper stab at staying in the Premier League because you've already got a pretty good team. Brentford and Watford are both outperforming you because they want it more, not because they've spent a lot of money.

It's sad really because compared to most of the clubs I mentioned in my opening post, you're within touching distance of re-establishing yourselves in the top flight and, if the ECL takes off, you may even have a shot at bringing European football back to Carrow Road.
It's quite frustrating as a Norwich fan because although our current owners are good people, they are sadly out of touch with modern football and at probably their age lacking drive and ambition. I think they, like a lot of our fans, are content for us to be 'little Norwich' bouncing around the top two divisions, without much of a chance of having a sustained period in the top flight.