By using Norwichtalk.com services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

Any vegetarians?

Canaryboy

Canaryboy

What the hell do you eat meal-wise?

Me and the missus are thinking about becoming a meat-free household, but not strictly vegetarian, idea is to eat meat two or three times in restaurants but ban meat from the house (couldn't give up the rump steak, chunky chips and peppercorn sauce at the local).

It isn't until you try and do an online shop with no meat that you realise just how much meat humans eat, a real struggle to think of meal ideas! 

Any good websites for vegetarian recipes, or any personal recommendations?

Lone Star Canary

Lone Star Canary

I'd think you'd be better off with meat at home then at restaurants since home cooking is almost always better for you than eating out.

Of course, there's a joke about English cuisine here...

That said... we eat a fair bit of meat.  Beef prices here have been at record levels and increasing all the time (multi-year drought has forced ranchers to sell/thin their herds, so there's been enough reduced availability to increase market prices).  Pork has come down a fair bit after priced spike due to some sort of porcine outbreak last year that wiped out stock, so a lot of my beef BBQing has shifted to pork.  I've been eating more fish, mostly salmon whenever I can get a good deal on it, and also the Alaskan whitefish that is used to may artificial crab.  We eat about the same amount of chicken as always, which to say is maybe 15% of our meat intake.

And yes... carrot juice is murder. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Fenway Frank

Fenway Frank

Bit ironic Americans joking about English food isn't it ? Apart from bbq, which is fantastic to be fair, I can't really think of any other foods that America does any better than us.

Lone Star Canary

Lone Star Canary

I thought I'd sent a reply but I guess not...  in no particular order we have:

TexMex (not the same as Mexican)

Southern comfort/soul food (fried chicken, chicken fried steak, okra, cornbread, grits, black-eyed peas, etc...)

Cured/smoked hams (hang 'em for about 7-9 months in the Mid-South, from Missouri to Kentucky/Tennessee to Virginia)

Cajun & Creole food in Louisiana

That said, we do mosey over to an English pub (the Gooner pub I've mentioned in the past) at least once a month for Scotch eggs, bangers & mash, shepherds pie, and fish & chips.

Whenever I get over there, I'll make y'all some fajitas.

Canaryboy

Canaryboy

I couldn't live in the US, I'd end up 22 stone and my life expectancy would drop by 10 to 15 years. 

Had some incredible pastrami in New York, in some place which is famous for it. Pizza in Chicago was pretty damn good. Also some great Chili dishes which I guess would be considered "tex mex". 

American food is all borrowed from Europe and South America of course, due to migration, but often with a unique twist. 

Portion sizes were something else though, couldn't hack it for too long. Plus I once saw somebody in Florida pour maple syrup on sausages for their breakfast at 8am, that make me feel sick!

Lone Star Canary

Lone Star Canary

Actually, a lot of the southern food is based on traditional Native American items from the Five Civilized Tribes (Cherokee, Chickasaw, Choctoaw, Creek/Muscogee, and Seminole),particularly anything involving corn, tomatoes, or squash.  But yes, a lot of cuisine is an adaptation from Old World items. For example the southern preference for a full breakfast (from England) rather than a continental one.  I'd put less emphasis on South America and more on Africa, however... sweet potatoes, okra, etc...

I'm guessing the pastrami came from the Carnegie Deli... I thought about mentioning chili, which is of Texas origin (that Cincinnati crap is something completely different).

Lone Star Canary

Lone Star Canary

Ipswich vegetarians are welcome to try these... apparently they are locally available.

Human-Shaped Fungus Grows in England (Norfolk, even!)