By using Norwichtalk.com services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

Bolton in trouble...

David Evans

David Evans

Beginning to wonder if they can survive until the end of the season at this rate, which would be bad news for us, Leeds and Sheffield but West Brom will gain 3 pts essentially.

N

Number 9

If it all goes Pete Tong, will our points against them be taken away? What difference would it make to the league?

Fenway Frank

Fenway Frank

If it all goes Pete Tong, will our points against them be taken away? What difference would it make to the league?
This what I’m wondering. I think they would either have to make all results against them void or the league would help them financially to the end of the season.

David Evans

David Evans

I don't think an EFL club ever been wound up, the closest situation I can think of is Chester City, financially struggling for a long time, they breached several league rules due to their situation, were expelled from the league in February and their record expunged. This meant all previous results were wiped from the season, if you'd beat Chester home and away you'd lose 6 points and any goals scored essentially.

There are some similarities in this case that are concerning, Chester City failed to fulfil a fixture at Forest Green after players refused to play for not being paid. They then cancelled another game after failing to pay a policing bill and that's when the league took action and in total were charged with five separate competition rules breaches. Luton Town had drawn twice with Chester that season and got a four-point swing over promotion rivals Stevenage, who had already beaten City twice.

In our situation that means only West Brom would gain any significant advantage, having lost one of their games to Bolton it could put them back in the hunt for autos as the top three drop 6 points and they only drop 3 points. Bad news for Ipswich though as this might be their only hope for 3 point between now and the end of the season! Could be useful to Reading and Rotherham though who were beaten by Bolton and they are yet to play Millwall, Wigan and Ipswich.

The only other issue is Leeds would gain 3 goals in goal difference on both us and Sheffield.

David Evans

David Evans

To update this though, I've been checking the #bwfc timeline, there's this Journo who seems well respected and is reporting that this weekends game should go ahead and the ownership change is ongoing, I suspect a lot of the issue now are probably Anderson wanting to save as much money as possible and leaving the new owners to fill the gap he's leaving.

EDIT: He also thinks Buendia is one of the best in the league so I trust his judgement ;)