By using Norwichtalk.com services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

Coronavirus

morty

morty

Staff member
Well, there's not much else to talk about, is there!?

Here's a nice little video that neatly explains our strategy on this!

Fenway Frank

Fenway Frank

I think that the government are damned if they do and damned if they don’t. I’ve just had a chat with my sister about my 84 year old mum, I’m not so concerned about myself, it’s other people. If I wake up with a slight sniffle in the morning do I isolate ? It’s difficult because you don’t want to overreact but at the same time we have to be more aware of mixing with other people.

morty

morty

Staff member
It has just become an extension of Brexit / The general election for some people, somehow thinking Boris has made this whole plan himself. I have isolated all this week. Started cold / flu symptoms last Sunday, cough, headache where it felt my brain was rattling round in my head when I coughed. Called 111 on Thursday, as had a decision to make about travelling back to work next week. They weren't interested in testing me, which was fair enough. Started feeling a bit better Friday, and am now on the mend. And now Trump has banned flights from UK I am not going back to work on Tuesday. In fact no idea when I will be.

My girlfriend is a carer for her mum, who is in her 70's. She is pretty worried about all this.

Last edited:
OldRobert

OldRobert

Good video Morty. I don't know how they'll get on trying to get us over 70s to self isolate for 4 months if that's what it in fact comes to. One of the criteria seems to be 'thou shalt not leave the home'. You have to walk the dog, not everyone has a garden, if the supermarket hasn't delivered some essentials, you may not be able to get them without going out yourself. You cannot expect someone else to trail round shops to find these things for you when bloody idiots have been allowed to walk out with excess pasta, loo rolls, milk etc.

morty

morty

Staff member
Good video Morty. I don't know how they'll get on trying to get us over 70s to self isolate for 4 months if that's what it in fact comes to. One of the criteria seems to be 'thou shalt not leave the home'. You have to walk the dog, not everyone has a garden, if the supermarket hasn't delivered some essentials, you may not be able to get them without going out yourself. You cannot expect someone else to trail round shops to find these things for you when bloody idiots have been allowed to walk out with excess pasta, loo rolls, milk etc.
I could well be home for a while, so am looking to see if I can volunteer for any local support groups to help out anyone who can't get out and needs shopping getting in etc. We need to rediscover the concept of community spirit.

dj161

dj161

I could well be home for a while, so am looking to see if I can volunteer for any local support groups to help out anyone who can't get out and needs shopping getting in etc. We need to rediscover the concept of community spirit.

you can nip down the chippy for me if you like

morty

morty

Staff member
So, went to Morrissons...

90026920_10156827574830877_2357944381308141568_o.jpg

Fenway Frank

Fenway Frank

It ridiculous but will now get worse. If you are old and think you could be indoors for 12 weeks, or a family that will need two weeks worth of food in the house then the panic buying will continue.

Canaryboy

Canaryboy

We are guilty of a little bit of stockpiling, although four weeks ago so not caused these empty shelves.

We did knock on our elderly neighbours door though and offer to get her whatever she needs and gave her our telephone number, she's sorted (son lives 4 miles away) but does make me wonder how many lonely elderly people are going to really struggle through this. Unfortunately the various initiatives I've seen to help elderly leaves them open to being scammed by cretins (e.g. calling cards),and police are going to be really stretched!

I think times like this seem to simultaneously bring out both the best and worst in people.

Fenway Frank

Fenway Frank

Unfortunately the various initiatives I've seen to help elderly leaves them open to being scammed by cretins (e.g. calling cards),and police are going to be really stretched!
I must be quite naive, I hadn’t thought of that

OldRobert

OldRobert

I watched Boris this afternoon, and he did NOT say that we have to stay in for 3 months, what he did say was that he wanted us to have minimum human contact and keep any unnnecessary journeys and visits to a minimum, all providing we felt well. The next thing I hear is the f*cking BBC telling the country that all over 70s have got to stay indoors for a minimum of 13 weeks on the news at 6pm. What is the bloody point of Boris and his Government trying to do their bit if the National Broadcaster immediately give out false information within MINUTES. F*ck that made me angry, and it wasn't the only thing they got wrong. I'm sure it must have been deliberate. We know they hate this Government because they won't appear on they pathetic little programs...................sooner they shut the f*ckers down the better.

Fenway Frank

Fenway Frank

Especially Piers Morgan...
He was a massive bellend this morning, then there was Susanna whining that her family hasn’t been tested. How about letting them test important people first.

morty

morty

Staff member
He was a massive bellend this morning, then there was Susanna whining that her family hasn’t been tested. How about letting them test important people first.
I don't follow him on Twitter, but see endless retweets from other people, and he is the very last thing that this country needs right now. He is endlessly bitter at no politicians wanting to come on his show, mainly because anyone who does just gets shouted over. Now is not the time for petty, political point scoring. Whatever you think of Boris, he has been handed the biggest social / economic issue to deal with, possibly since WW2.

G

gerryinromania

Yes OR and others. Getting really pissed off with the media and experts all twisting what the government and their experts, health experts are saying. The bbc seem to be going out of their way to scare people, bloody disgraceful. As you pointed out OR, we aged ones are advised not compelled to stay in. Hows that supposed to work anyway, I live in Romania, I'm here airbnb, what am I supposed to do, live in a bloody bus shelter 3 or 4 months, if I have to, but can't stay where I am? Am I over 70? am I hale and hearty? yes , apart from creaky knees. Do I have an identity card ? NOOO

Fenway Frank

Fenway Frank

That virus won’t get me in my mask

Attachments

• 57591585-A900-45DD-9340-407D2AD02393.jpeg
    57591585-A900-45DD-9340-407D2AD02393.jpeg
    77.7 KB · Views: 371
OldRobert

OldRobert

Think you'll be alright with coronavirus, but you look as though you've got more than a touch of Mekonitis!:D