By using Norwichtalk.com services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

England Euro 2016 Qualifiers

splutcho

splutcho

Squad for Switzerland:

Goalkeepers: Fraser Forster (Southampton),Ben Foster (West Bromwich Albion),Joe Hart (Manchester City) 

Defenders: Leighton Baines (Everton),Gary Cahill (Chelsea),Calum Chambers (Arsenal),Phil Jagielka (Everton),Phil Jones (Manchester United),Danny Rose (Tottenham Hotspur),John Stones (Everton) 

Midfielders: Jack Colback (Newcastle United),Fabian Delph (Aston Villa),Jordan Henderson (Liverpool),James Milner (Manchester City),Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal) Raheem Sterling (Liverpool),Andros Townsend (Tottenham Hotspur),Jack Wilshere (Arsenal) 

Forwards: Rickie Lambert (Liverpool),Wayne Rooney (Manchester United),Daniel Sturridge (Liverpool),Danny Welbeck (Manchester United)

Appalling squad and I expect a Switzerland win.

Not quite sure what Wayne Rooney has ever done in an England shirt to be awarded captaincy either but there we go.

Agent Dale Cooper

Agent Dale Cooper

Not quite sure what Wayne Rooney has ever done in an England shirt to be awarded captaincy either but there we go.
Scoring 40 goals in 95 caps by the age of 28 might have something to do with it. Who else is there that deserves it more? Arguably Joe Hart is the most natural leader in the squad, but other than him I don't see anyone else in that squad who is remotely ready to be an England captain.

In other news, that really is a dreadful squad. Colback and Delph?! Good god.

Canaryboy

Canaryboy

Roy Hodgson has called Colback "the ginger Pirlo". 

He should be sacked for that alone. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Canaryboy

Canaryboy

Scoring 40 goals in 95 caps by the age of 28 might have something to do with it. Who else is there that deserves it more? Arguably Joe Hart is the most natural leader in the squad, but other than him I don't see anyone else in that squad who is remotely ready to be an England captain.

In other news, that really is a dreadful squad. Colback and Delph?! Good god.
The loss of Gerrard & Lampard, Terry & Cole (and Rio if we go back further),has definitely left us short of players of obvious captain material. I also find Rooney an uninspiring choice, especially considering his consistently lackluster tournaments, but Hodgson's decision to discard almost every experienced player has left him the only realistic outfield candidate. 

I said it the other day on the Hodgson thread, but I still really don't understand why he is no longer selecting Gareth Barry - he is captain material. 

Last edited by a moderator:
The Great Mass Debater

The Great Mass Debater

I'll re-post from the locked thread...

Agree with Rooney being captain, not because I think he'd be a great captain, but who else could it realistically have been? And doesnt that speak volumes? Hodgsons latest squad shows IMO just how little talent we have at international level at the moment. I think Chambers has only ever made something like 20 senior appearences. Dont think international fortunes will be changing for a long while yet...