By using Norwichtalk.com services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

External investment in Norwich City.

morty

morty

Staff member
Here we are again with the recurring eternal question...

In 1993 we finished 3rd in the inaugural Premiership (as it was called then). This will never happen again, not ever. It would be an absolute miracle if we even finished in the top 15 now. Times have changed, football has changed, it has even changed since we were in the Premier league two seasons ago. Only time will tell, over the season, but is our model becoming less and less achievable? I love what we do, the fact we do things the right way, spend within our means, and are careful about long term sustainability, but we are in a very real danger of being overtaken. Really the only thing keeping us where we are is the fact that financial fair play is actually adhered to in the Championship (and totally ignored in the Premier league) otherwise we would be mid table Championship at best, as we can't even really compete financially there either.

Like I say, I love our model, but is time running out for it? Obviously this thread is inspired by the Newcastle takeover, which has robbed us of a potential relegation rival, and has made our dream of Premier league sustainability, that little bit harder. I see lots of our fans holding their noses, saying they wouldn't want any of that dirty Saudi money, but I feel they may have to adjust their expectations. You can only sit on your moral high horse for so long. We saw how fans were quite happy to lose us approx 3 million quid because they didn't like BK8, and I'm sure the same fans could find a moral objection to any potential investor, and that indeed begs the question, are investors actually put off by this?

Sooner or later, we are going to have to accept some dirty money, or the club will die. Sure, life would be lovely if we could all live by perfect moral principals, but if that was the case then none of us would have an iphone, or wear anything by Nike. Theres only so long we can punch above our weight, we aren't going to find a Godfrey or an Emi every season...

Prem-owners-rich-list.jpg

G

GJP

I see lots of our fans holding their noses, saying they wouldn't want any of that dirty Saudi money, but I feel they may have to adjust their expectations.

When Andros Townsend was available in the summer a lot of our fans turned their noses up saying we're too good for him.

I'd have had him here in a shot, just as I would a truck load of "dirty" money.

morty

morty

Staff member
When Andros Townsend was available in the summer a lot of our fans turned their noses up saying we're too good for him.

I'd have had him here in a shot, just as I would a truck load of "dirty" money.
Who knows, that extra 3 million we could have got by just averting our eyes to women eating hotdogs, could have got the Ajer deal over the line...

Numan

Numan

All that money available and most of those Championship teams are still rubbish. Why? Possibly they hire players/managers on reputations rather ability. Our current crop appear to have been bought for their potential rather than their current ability and that may not be enough to keep us up. More evidence of long-term thinking or simply buying cheapo rubbish players. I personally believe it's the former rather than the latter.

Last edited:
morty

morty

Staff member
All that money available and most of those Championship teams are still rubbish. Why? Possible they hire players/managers on reputations rather ability. Our current crop appear to have been bought for their potential rather than their current ability and that may not be enough to keep us up. More evidence of long-term thinking or simply buying cheapo rubbish players. I personally believe it's the former rather than the latter.
I find it quite incredible that other clubs don't just look at what we do and copy it.

I mean it doesn't seem to be rocket science, run yourself well, scout well, develop your academy, and don't over-reach.

Weird.