By using Norwichtalk.com services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

Greta Thunberg

Fenway Frank

Fenway Frank

Getting weird now isn’t she ? I admire what she wants to do, you only have to look at what’s happening in Brazil to see that things need to change, but it looks like the pressure is getting too much for her. Is she a mouthpiece for her parents?

morty

morty

Staff member
I find it all rather disturbing, and frankly bordering on child abuse. She is a vulnerable, autistic child, who has been weaponised by her parents. They are using her knowing full well that anyone criticising her can be branded a bully.

Of course we need to look after the planet better, but scaring the shit out of your children and sending them on protests is just weird.

I'll take my environmental advice from scientists, thanks.

N

Number 9

It's all very sad.
Teachers pumping kids full of rubbish, rather than helping them have a rounded out view of the world their part in it.
Mind you, I get wound up watching parents smoking near their kids.

N

Number 9

Does my head in too, I’m very anti smoking
I think people smoke if they want, it's up to them to choose. Their children dont get to choose if they're just sat in a pushchair or car breathing it in.

OldRobert

OldRobert

She has Aspergers which probably accounts for some of her behaviour being put under such pressure by parents and opportunist left wingers. However most of what I saw in the speech to the UN were obviously coached facts followed by a typical sixteen year old strop, which all of you with children of that age or who have been that age will have seen many times..................usually in the supermarket.

I cannot take seriously the rant of an hysterical sixteen year old girl telling me I have robbed her of her childhood when our fathers and his generation fought two world wars, to allow her the freedom, which she says she has been denied, to stand up in the UN and squeal a load of bollocks, who comes from a country which hides behind neutrality while everybody else fights and dies to protect them and their freedom as well as their own, shows the hypocrisy of her opinion.

She says she shoudn't be at the UN she should be at school...........................quite.

Canaryboy

Canaryboy

I'm environmentally conscious but I'm finding the whole thing a little bizarre.

And in many areas humans are making progress without the need for all this drama, in areas such as renewable energy and recycling.

We could do with ending a throwaway culture, be harder on planned obsolescence and things like phone companies making it impossible to change a battery, educate more on disposable fashion versus clothes which last 10 years, but why is she blaming older people?

Pretty sure 40 year olds are far less likely to be desperate for an iPhone upgrade every 2 years, I'm mid thirties and I got 5 years out of my last phone. Apple just announced record revenue and profits, Primark just announced record revenues and profits.

Consumer behaviour isn't changing, there is no enlightenment.

I'd personally love to see research into biodegradable/organic packaging accelerated, I hate the amount of single use plastic I use, but these things are already on the agenda.

She's not too clear on what it is that she wants. There's not much we can do about China and India burning huge amounts of dirty coal I'm afraid, and she wouldn't fare too well if she tried to take her protests there.

N

Number 9

Apparently she's stuck in South America, the super yacht has gone, everyone has flown home.
Wonder if she can swim.....

OldRobert

OldRobert

She has more hot air than most......................no problem getting home.:rolleyes:

N

Number 9

She's going to a conference in Chile so will be trying to get home in December.
Not many eco friendly ways from South America to Sweden.
The others flew home and their flights were 'carbon offset'.
Wonder what madam will do after lecturing the universe on being naughty consumers.

Canaryboy

Canaryboy

"carbon offset", bit of a con in itself. Means planting a few saplings, will be many years until they convert enough co2 into oxygen to make her journey carbon neutral.

OldRobert

OldRobert

How did she get to Chile? Halo Air? Walk on water?

OldRobert

OldRobert

Was that the same one she went on to the US before which had to be flown back to Europe? Very eco friendly.

morty

morty

Staff member
I'm environmentally conscious but I'm finding the whole thing a little bizarre.

And in many areas humans are making progress without the need for all this drama, in areas such as renewable energy and recycling.

We could do with ending a throwaway culture, be harder on planned obsolescence and things like phone companies making it impossible to change a battery, educate more on disposable fashion versus clothes which last 10 years, but why is she blaming older people?

Pretty sure 40 year olds are far less likely to be desperate for an iPhone upgrade every 2 years, I'm mid thirties and I got 5 years out of my last phone. Apple just announced record revenue and profits, Primark just announced record revenues and profits.

Consumer behaviour isn't changing, there is no enlightenment.

I'd personally love to see research into biodegradable/organic packaging accelerated, I hate the amount of single use plastic I use, but these things are already on the agenda.

She's not too clear on what it is that she wants. There's not much we can do about China and India burning huge amounts of dirty coal I'm afraid, and she wouldn't fare too well if she tried to take her protests there.
Aye, pretty much where I am with this. We are doing things to improve matters, so sorry if that isn't enough for brainwashed idealistic teenagers, but once they get in the real world they will realise that it just isn't economically viable or indeed practical to take all these measures that they want. Take electric cars, the whole thing is an absolute nonsense. The mining techniques to get lithium for the batteries is massively ecologically unsound, and taking into account the electricity used to charge them, the whole carbon footprint is no better, Yes it may cut on air pollution, but works out worse in other ways.

At the end of the day there is a happy medium, where we are now, in between doing nothing at all, and wearing shoes made from hemp and gluing yourself to roads.

Fenway Frank

Fenway Frank

Always made me smile when Sky were reporting on all the plastic in the oceans. It has to be one of the richest companies in the world so why didn’t they get a big boat and collect some of it up instead of just filming it and saying how terrible it was ?

morty

morty

Staff member
FB_IMG_1570109783466.jpg

N

Number 9

That pic is obviously a bit extreme, but the basic fact is as Morty said earlier, electric cars have to plug in somewhere and that electric has to be generated from somewhere