By using Norwichtalk.com services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

Help wanted for storybook

W

Writer

Hi y'all, as a brief introduction, I am a Villa fan and Northampton fan, and also happen to be writing a book. It happens to be a fantasy / sci-fi book, and within its budding pages, one of the protagonists is by happenchance a football fan, its not a major plot arc and stuff, and to avoid when no-one reads my book, no-one of accusing me of having an avatar in the book... I decided to make this protagonist not be a Villa / Northampton fan. The temptation was strong I must admit, but I overcame it. Anyway part of this particular plot arc is that in 1983, our world took a detour it wasn't supposed to take from its intended timeline. Our story starts in 1993, ten years after this. Anyway as a plot mechanism for this splitting of time, I wanna kind of throw in little bits of history differently so the many people who don't read it know that time has gone differently. So that is the function of having a football team in (I can't promise that Norwich are gunna win the league in this alternative future but maybe who knows, plenty is still to be writ). Anyway I chose Norwich for the following reasons ... if I had no allegiances or bias I always think that Norwich aura vibe is one of the ones I like most in the football league (other honourable mentions go to Sheff Wed / Villa (not being biased) / Wolves / Forest) and this particular story arc starts in Northampton - and for some reason Northampton is on lookeast, thus I always seen it to have a little tiny affinity with East Anglia, so its not as untenable a prospect as said protagonist being a Middlesborough fan. And also Norwich even if they were the worst most horrible plague on football in the world would be infinitely preferable to the pimp on the arse of the rat in the cesspit of humanity that is Peterboro'. 

Anyway my drawn out point is that if any of you have any memories of supporting Norwich from end of the 1992/93 season (yes I know it was a good one for you!) then I would appreciate hearing about them so I can crib them and give you no credit...

Things I would mainly like to hear would be - memories of matches - little things no-one may have noticed. Feelings, emotions, and tensions you remember. Things that had got you a little angry. Players you loved and describing them, nicknames, opinions (I used to go watch Northampton a lot and there was a player called John Frain - a LB who would always run up the pitch to make sure he got to take throw ins - so I used to think he was bossy keen bean because I was too young to have developed any notion of some players doing jobs and being better at other stuff),or there was this player called Freestone (I think) who just smiled all the time and once he smiled at me and I fell a little in love... (I once had this terrible vhs video from the back of a van that was called 99 great premier league goals. It should have been called 99 premier league goals, and near everyone of them was a deflection conceded by Bryan Gunn, or a Brian Deane scuff which was repeated like 11 times). Things you enjoyed from going to carrow road or away, smells, weird observations. I only started remembering football in these days (I really liked Liverpool apparently but my favourite player was Dean Saunders so when he left to go to Villa my fate and eternal misery was sealed). Also well this story book is part journey in and out of time - so any memories of say between 1993 - 1996 would be grand.

Thanks in advance - I'll stick around as long as no-one keeps providing me with any useful material...

And GOOD LUCK NOT ONLY FOR THIS SEASON BUT FOR ALL SEASONS PAST PRESENT AND FUTURE, not only for Norwich's eternal well being and their future battles for good vs, but that you are ALL HAPPY WHETHER YOU WIN OR LOSE BECAUSE THEN YOU WILL BE THE GREATEST SORT OF WINNER

Gaffer

Gaffer

I remember the first game standing up in the new Barclay singing 'we'll never sit in the Barclay'. The away fans were being a nuisance in the upper tier.