By using Norwichtalk.com services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

Introducing The Member Map

Status
Not open for further replies.
admin

admin

Administrator
Staff member
In the navigation above you will notice a new tab called 'Member Map'. This is one of the many features that I've wanted to introduce for some time. 

In this application you can pin your location, and you can be as specific or vague as you wish. I've put my full postcode in for example (with my Canaryboy account),but you could elect to just enter your town, or the first part of your postcode (e.g. NR2). If browsing on a smartphone you can even pin and update your location using GPS by pressing the target button.

The resulting pin can be clicked on and your user avatar and a link to your profile appears. 

Just visit the link and click 'Add Location', then either type part of your address or postcode, or if mobile surfing and lazy press the target button! 

It would be great if we could get a few pins on the thing from people all over the place, I hope that as this forum grows the map will show us to have a truly global fanbase, and maybe it will lead to some friendships and meet ups some day.

http://www.norwichtalk.com/membermap/

Unfortunately I've not worked out how to change the colour of those blue pins to green just yet, hoping to do that soon - the less blue on this forum the better  :angry:

EDIT: Wouldn't recommend entering your town/city as it will probably pin you in some random place in the US with the same name, stick with the first part of your postcode or find the postcode of a supermarket / garage / travelodge in your town and use that. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Chris Brown

Chris Brown

Fatal error: Call to a member function mapTemplate() on a non-object in /home/norwicht/public_html/admin/applications_addon/other/membermap/modules_public/membermap/map.php on line 77

admin

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Fatal error: Call to a member function mapTemplate() on a non-object in /home/norwicht/public_html/admin/applications_addon/other/membermap/modules_public/membermap/map.php on line 77
Where are you seeing that mate? Just by visiting the page?

On a mobile? 

The Great Mass Debater

The Great Mass Debater

Good feature - though I will have to have a good think about whether I want to reveal my location. Simply because I dont want it used as a stick to beat me with (ie 'You could go to games from there') etc. Never mind that I have three children under 3! Good idea though for the less cautious!

admin

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Good feature - though I will have to have a good think about whether I want to reveal my location. Simply because I dont want it used as a stick to beat me with (ie 'You could go to games from there') etc. Never mind that I have three children under 3! Good idea though for the less cautious!
You can just write your town, no need to give away an address.

Can probably even just write your county, although that's probably a bit too vague!

Andy

Andy

Worked ok for me viewing the main site on an I-pad.

admin

admin

Administrator
Staff member
OK I've just rebuilt the skin sets and the rebuilt the cache.

Can you both now see if you still get the line 77 error?

Chris Brown

Chris Brown

AUZp8Rs.png

Canaryboy

Canaryboy

Worked ok for me viewing the main site on an I-pad.
For some reason I can't see your location on the member map Andy, but got a notification that you had pinned it.... could it be because you have typed 'Norwich' and somebody else has, and when two people type the exact same location it only shows one pin  :unsure:

Andy

Andy

I was on the map for a bit but I seem to have disappeared now. I entered "NR4" as my location,

splutcho

splutcho

You were just on the map with me Andy, but it was so close to KeiranShikari that it's not easily seen. Isn't there a way of having two people on one pin when they type Norwich?

admin

admin

Administrator
Staff member
You were just on the map with me Andy, but it was so close to KeiranShikari that it's not easily seen. Isn't there a way of having two people on one pin when they type Norwich?
Andy just doesn't appear to be on the map at all for me. 

It doesn't produce a pin which says '4' and then you click on the 4 and it shows you 4 members, unfortunately. One member one pin.

This application was only out of beta literally yesterday. 

Status
Not open for further replies.