By using Norwichtalk.com services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

I've just had an epiphany

the jarrold

the jarrold

It's true, I've come to realise that I don't like football very much. Now as a NCFC season ticket holder I obviously enjoy supporting my team, but outside of that..... For example I never or rarely watch other televised matches, never watch MOTD, never watch England friendlies but do watch them in tournaments. I hate the hype of the premier league too. I've never played FIFA, and rarely complete a season on footy manager before getting bored. I'm wondering if I'm alone in this and how much football means to others on here, this is after all, a football message board. Apart from my team it's just not a big part of my life.

Canaryboy

Canaryboy

I've been feeling similar recently actually, I'm a Norwich fan not a football fan these days. 

(Including not being able to get into football manager, which I've bought every year for about 17 years and probably won't buy again). 

I'm hoping to move to the Manchester area by the end of next year though and there is a thriving non-league scene around there, I really want to find a non-league side to adopt as my second team and do a bit of ground hopping around the Northern Premier League to try and rediscover my love for football. 

G

gerryinromania

Norwich City for me. I used to go to games here in Romania, but got jarred off with all the playacting, corruption and bought officials,so I gave it up. Can't be arsed to bother with England or Romania, unless absolutely nothing else to do, and they're on the tv, certainly wouldn't bother with trying to get a stream on the puta for them. Have cable tv, so lots of different leagues, but don't bother. F1 is starting to feel the same also. Look forward each year to my January trip back then I get a couple of NCFC games in,makes me believe again, no matter how we are doing

Beauseant

Beauseant

I'm in the same boat. I started watching in the late 60s and the game has changed beyond recognition, mostly for the worse. Of course facilities are better and violence and racism have largely been eradicated, but the soul of the game has gone. You can't tackle in case your follow through knocks a player over and guarantees a booking and cheating has become so endemic that it's also accepted in analysis that if there is "contact" a player is justified in going down like a sack of King Edwards and rolling around in agony. Players and managers have no loyalty to clubs and spin machines control what and how much information reaches the fans (or rather customers.....)

Finally the game is being priced beyond the reach of its traditional working class fanbase. Other than that it's fine.....

the jarrold

the jarrold

Totally agree that football has lost its soul or rather sold it to the highest bidder. Maybe wall to wall football doesn't help. I can remember the days when a live televised game was a huge event. I'm not wishing for a return to that but it seems the more there is to watch the less I like it. It's strange though because I think I read that the Premier League attendance and audience figures increase most years so I guess there are thousands out there who are happy with the product.

Interesting that F1 is mentioned above as another example. I used to get up every season at 4am to watch the opening race from Australia when Mansell, Prost and Senna were racing. Don't even watch on a Sunday afternoon anymore. It too has become detached from its audience as the money has increased.