By using Norwichtalk.com services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

Marouane Chamakh

E2 Canary

E2 Canary

If the rumours are true and we're signing Marouane Chamakh on a free transfer, here's a bit of info about him. I also posted this on the other place because there's already a thread about him there, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to pop it on here too for those who prefer the atmosphere and the colour scheme.

I saw Chamakh play at Stade Chaban Delmas (amazing 30's concrete stadium shrouded in clouds of pot smoke) when I lived in Bordeaux for a year in 2008. They won Ligue 1 that year, with Chamakh knocking in 14 goals. The street party was INSANE. 

The match I remember best, Bordeaux beat Toulouse 2-1 and Chamakh looked hard-working. He, and everyone else, was outshone by Yoann Gourcuff, a very exciting attacking midfielder who was on loan from AC Milan but never fulfilled his superstar potential. Chamakh was the second or third best Girondins player that day. 

A quick scan of the stats from his golden years at Bordeaux shows he mostly scored with his head. But he didn't feel like a classic English number 9.

Here's an article from an Arsenal blog that analyses his style of play. It's pretty accurate based on what I saw of him in 08/09 at a couple of matches and on the telly.
https://arsespeak.com/2010/07/14/maroune-chamakh-his-playing-style-analysed-in-detail-bordeaux-arsenal-scouting/

If you give it a read, it might please the doubters to see how he's apparently best deployed in front of three attacking midfielders, which is a formation we're equipped to play. 

I was underwhelmed when he went to Arsenal. Not quite the calibre of player they were used to up front, and I couldn't see how Wenger would change that. But if he'd moved to Norwich in his mid 20s it would have been a big deal for us.

He's not the answer to all our prayers, but perhaps to some of them. How's that for blind enthusiasm?

Last edited by a moderator:
Din

Din

Palace fans opinion is that if he was able to stay fit he'd still be in their squad, however his injury problems have really held him back. Sounds as if though at this level if we can keep him fit he'd be a good option, big if though.