By using Norwichtalk.com services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

Norwich City vs Birmingham City (Home) Tuesday 21st February.

Status
Not open for further replies.
morty

morty

Staff member
Wagner hinted at changes, and rightly so, I managed to get a stream for the match on Saturday, and it was a dull watch, especially after Sargent went off, we really offered very little going forward. The idea that Idah may be our only fit striker isn't ideal, but if it is the case, then we're going to have to adapt things to play to his strengths.

I think Andy O went off too, so not sure if he was injured, or just having a stinker? I would like to think we can make something of these two home games in a week, but we'll see...

Gunvald Larsson

Gunvald Larsson

At the start of the season I, like many others, thought we would be doing much better than we are at the moment. I did not, however, agree with the view that we had 'the strongest squad in the Championship'. Whoever thought that one up must have been really deluded. We have a squad of players past their best (Krul, Hanley, Gibson, Pukki),players who are inconsistent (Dowell, Hernandez, Giannoulis, Aarons, Nunez),players who are often injured (Byram, Sorenson, Hayden),players who have 'potential' (Idah, Tszolis, Gibbs, McCallum) plus a few who are actually pretty decent (Sargent, Sara, Gunn, Omobamidele). That lot were never going to set the world on fire but should be doing better than 10th, especially in a generally poor Championship. We are unlikely to get into the play-offs so we really do need a good clear out at the end of the season. Wagner is a decent coach and if Webber/the board back him in bringing the right players to replace the ones who need to move on we could be in with a shout next season.

morty

morty

Staff member
I think we have a decent range of players, but the main issue is that one of them isn't an Emi Buendia.

The other issue was that Dean Smith was totally rigid in his approach, rather than playing to any of their strengths.

N

Number 9

At the start of the season I, like many others, thought we would be doing much better than we are at the moment. I did not, however, agree with the view that we had 'the strongest squad in the Championship'. Whoever thought that one up must have been really deluded. We have a squad of players past their best (Krul, Hanley, Gibson, Pukki),players who are inconsistent (Dowell, Hernandez, Giannoulis, Aarons, Nunez),players who are often injured (Byram, Sorenson, Hayden),players who have 'potential' (Idah, Tszolis, Gibbs, McCallum) plus a few who are actually pretty decent (Sargent, Sara, Gunn, Omobamidele). That lot were never going to set the world on fire but should be doing better than 10th, especially in a generally poor Championship. We are unlikely to get into the play-offs so we really do need a good clear out at the end of the season. Wagner is a decent coach and if Webber/the board back him in bringing the right players to replace the ones who need to move on we could be in with a shout next season.
What gets me is the inconsistencies and lack of professionalism.
My job, I have to get it right or my customers don't Pat me & I go out of business.
Most people who work are in the same position, you learn your job & have to turn up and do it properly.
How our players get it wrong so often and make so many mistakes is beyond me, just not professional.

morty

morty

Staff member
DW: "Josh has an ankle injury, so unfortunately he will be out of tomorrow's game, and then the game at the weekend."

DW: "Teemu is a doubt for tomorrow's game, and we'll make a late call on him."

DW: “I have every trust in our medical and performance department. We didn’t have a fitness issue in the last game.”

DW: “I was happy with how we fought (at Wigan). We weren’t good enough in our ball possession and made individual mistakes.”

DW: "We need to fight for every inch to make sure we get all three points, and this is what we'll do."

DW: “The most important thing is that you are honest. This how development can happen. It makes sense to say if something was good or it wasn’t. We like to be consistent on a good level, but it means nothing for tomorrow.”

DW: “The supporters want us to be successful like we want to be. I’m looking forward to a game under the lights at Carrow Road.”

DW on Birmingham: "They're an experienced team, and nobody should look at the table or recent results. They're direct. We should look at ourselves to fight this."

DW on striker situation: “It’s clear who will get the shirt. I love Adam and he is a real talent. He has worked so hard since his injury and now he is getting lots of minutes under his belt. If he can deliver physically then he needs these minutes.”

DW on Adam Idah: “Yes, absolutely. I ask my players to fight for everything and work for the team. All my players do this, including Adam. I hope he scores the winner tomorrow.”

DW on Aarons: "200 games only speaks for itself. Max is a top professional, who always trains and gets more of an understanding week by week. A top player and a top professional. The good thing about Max is that he worked hard and he got his reward. He works and is tireless. Max is a great example of that."

OldRobert

OldRobert

Our fit striker doesn't fill me with confidence for 3 points, I'd rather play one of us up front!

morty

morty

Staff member
Rumours our Arsenal loanee (Whose name I can't spell) may be in for a start tonight.

G

gerryinromania

Took me 15 minutes to find a stream, after that, I enjoyed my evening. Saw a good game from us, really good goals and enjoyed my sipping stuff. Well done the boys and the fans. Thought our goals were really good, Nunez just cms away from his hattrick, good defending, and Tzolis is ramming a few comments down the throats of quite a few experts over there

morty

morty

Staff member
Really enjoyable evening, good atmosphere in the Barclay.

Lots to unpack. Most happy with the midfield, Sara and Nunez starting to look the money, Sara just uses the ball so well and keeps things moving, and I will say very well complemented by Kenny, who I thought was close to being my man of the match tonight. We talked in the last game thread about the intelligence in switching the press on, and when is best to do it, and it seems that Kenny is the key to that. When he decides we press, when the time is right, he drives forward centrally, pulling their entire midfield out of shape, as for the last 10 attacks we have been punting it out to Aarons.

Nunez looked much, much better played centrally, and that goal, absolute belter. His second also has a lot to admire about it.

Idah worked his socks off again, and was unlucky not to score.

We still have that self destruct button to push in defence, but overall, you can see the small improvements all over the field, the most important one being how quickly players react when we lose the ball, getting in the opposition's faces, so the breakdown isn't as catastrophic. Tonight was a good example of "two strikers aren't always better than one".

OldRobert

OldRobert

Totally agree with the misusing, which could apply to several of our players I feel. However I still think a big clearout is going to have to happen.

morty

morty

Staff member
Totally agree with the misusing, which could apply to several of our players I feel. However I still think a big clearout is going to have to happen.
I dunno, was looking at the players out of contract this summer thread, and we have already cleared some dead wood.

OldRobert

OldRobert

I"m looking particularly in relation to getting promoted and staying there for longer than 10 minutes. I don't want another season of complete humiliation, we've been there several times and we've all got a cupboard full of T shirts. It's time we showed that we can be a PL team for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.