By using Norwichtalk.com services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

Norwich City vs Charlton Athletic (FA Cup 3rd round) Sunday 9th January 2pm

Status
Not open for further replies.
morty

morty

Staff member
Assume Smith will do the presser tomorrow morning, I saw him hint that he's optimistic of getting the game on, so assume we have players coming back. On that note, I was discussing on Twitter how Smith seemed deliberately vague about when players are returning from injury, Farke used to give us a complete rundown in his pressers as to where players were, and was talking to a Villa fan, and that's how Dean rolls, he's a "the player is back when he's back" kinda guy. As an aside Normanns posted a photo on Instagram the other day of him on a running machine, declaring he is on his way back. Bit non specific about the timescale, though.

In theory a well timed game for us, get some players back playing, and theoretically anyway, a nice break from the Premier league and a confidence boost. That said, it has "banana skin" written all over it.

G

gerryinromania

Think he will put out a fairly strong team, minus Pukki, Aaron, both needed later. Think/hope it will be a welcome relief to all, and give them a chance to up their game. Not going to be easy though

morty

morty

Staff member
First question is inevitably on Todd Cantwell. Smith says the past few weeks has been about building up his fitness and he is available for Sunday. Speculation is firmly for Stuart Webber. Smith has 'no idea' if there have been any approach for his services.

DS: 'I have had a chat with Stuart more generally about this window and what the options are. But if we get our best players back in Jan from injury that might not be the worst window for us.'
'We are not close to doing anything. We are just having a look at this stage what is out there.'

DS: “It’s looking a lot healthier. Rashica will train today. Hanley has done some training. Krul is back. Pukki is back. Aarons and Cantwell are back.”

'I've gone away and reflected on the last few performances. Two words come to mind, context and perspective'. Smith feels in a more upbeat mood today, understandably so given the return of several key players to his squad. Mathias Normann will take a bit longer.

Smith admits #NCFC's team will be very 'mixed'. A lot of players coming back as well as West Ham and Everton on the horizon. But Smith plans to take the competition seriously. I like the FA Cup. It’s one of only three opportunities to win something in the season. Why not go all out to try and achieve something?”

Smith has spoken throughout this presser about finding a 'balance' because they have players who need minutes ahead of games against West Ham and Everton.

Funny line from #ncfc DS on injury and illness backlog now easing. 'We have can have 8v8 on the training ground now instead of 3v3.'

DS confirms he has spoken to Gilmour on the #cpfc negativity. 'He wants to prove people wrong, he wants to prove what a good player he is. For us.'

They don't lose games through a lack of will, they have been beaten by better teams. They are an honest group.' Smith has spoken to Gilmour. There is a desire from his perspective to prove people wrong. 'Has he been at the top of his game, no. But neither have #NCFC.'

Dean Smith compares Adam Idah's situation to the one he had with Keinan Davis at #AVFC. Many feel a loan move would benefit him at this stage. Smith admits it's a tough balancing act. But, they have seen improvement on the training pitch from him. #NCFC

DS: “Andrew had a scan and there’s some improvement but it’s a slow burner. “Rupp is still out with a hamstring injury. “We don’t have a return to training date set for Normann yet, but he’s on the treadmill without the pain he had before.”

On Bali Mumba to #PUFC... Smith says he has plenty of potential but with Sam Byram returning and Max Aarons' quality, his game time is limited. They don't want to stall his growth. He feels this is an excellent loan move for him at this point in his career.

'I think we've played games that we shouldn't have. We were asked to play games with 10 players out, eight of those starters.

Smith admits it's been 'frustrating' that Todd Cantwell hasn't put his best foot forward yet. But that is felt by Cantwell, who he praises, but he believes his confidence has been eroded as well. It's a case of building up his fitness and confidence in the next few weeks.

DS on Gilmour fan reaction at #cpfc. 'I was disappointed with what I heard. I didn't hear it myself at the game but I had family members there. It was a minority. I must stress that. But everyone at the club know the value of Billy Gilmour.

G

gerryinromania

So Cantwells confidence has been eroded. Think he needs to have a good hard look in the mirror. yep, everyone at the club knows the value of Gilmour, if that's the case, why doesn't gilmour show the fans, the value of billy gilmour

N

Number 9

Think he will put out a fairly strong team, minus Pukki, Aaron, both needed later. Think/hope it will be a welcome relief to all, and give them a chance to up their game. Not going to be easy though
League 1 team, but they've been playing with confidence.
It's a type of game we've seen lost badly and yet we did turn over Bournemouth recently.
Anything could happen, hopefully not anymore injuries though!

morty

morty

Staff member
No Cantwell in the squad....

ssss.jpg

morty

morty

Staff member
Club is saying knocks for Cantwell and Gilmour.

Not beyond the realms of possibility that the club doesn't want to cup tie either, in Cantwell's case so he can be sold, in Gilmours case, so he can be recalled...

Din

Din

Dire first half. Looks like a mid-table Championship tie so far.

G

gerryinromania

A WIN , is a win. Some unhappy people over there I guess. Thought Pukki was going to blast that at atight angle, so was pleased to see a nice layoff

G

gerryinromania

Off to a good start Mr Numan. now you can relax and enjoy it. La Multi Ani

N

Number 9

Club is saying knocks for Cantwell and Gilmour.

Not beyond the realms of possibility that the club doesn't want to cup tie either, in Cantwell's case so he can be sold, in Gilmours case, so he can be recalled...
Surely it was established that Billy can't be recalled because of the number of games he's played.

Status
Not open for further replies.