By using Norwichtalk.com services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

Norwich City vs Newcastle United (away) Saturday 1st February.

Status
Not open for further replies.
morty

morty

Staff member
Another must win / get something from! Tough game, despite the Toon being awful earlier in the season, they have really grown into it, and Bruce is grinding out results. That said, they are beatable, and our form has picked up a bit in recent weeks. A few players maybe played themselves into contention from Burnley, mainly Vrancic and Drimic, not sure if Godfrey is back for this, or this is his last game ban? Was seeing pics of Emi in training, so hoping he will be back.

PS I work offshore with loads of geordies, I'll love it if we beat them, love it.

images.jpg

N

Number 9

Bruce has been happy to accumulate points by being pragmatic and managing games they perhaps should have lost.
He's probably surprised people by some of the results they've achieved.
I think we'll do well to come away with a point.

Fenway Frank

Fenway Frank

Emi only on bench but he may not be 100%

Din

Din

Don't understand at all why we wouldn't start Vrancic? The guy is literally our best player in that holding role, offers us something that no other player can offer. I like McLean but he's a bit of a jack of all trades, master of none in that he doesn't excel in any area. Probably offers a little more defensive cover than Vrancic yeah but do we need that with Tettey in there as well? Also I like Byram but him at left back just doesn't work. Having him and Cantwell, two right footers that naturally want to cut inside just puts the balance of the team off completely. Lewis may not be quite as solid defensively but the whole shape of the team makes so much more sense with Lewis at left back.

Huge game this, need to win it. Villa playing Bournemouth and West Ham playing Brighton means at least 2 of the bottom 6 are gonna pick up points. While relegation does look inevitable a loss today would confirm it for me, particularly with our next 4 games being Liverpool and Leicester at home, Wolves and Sheffield United away. Like we did against Everton, if we can frustrate the home crowd for long enough they will start to turn, which is hopefully where we can take advantage.

G

gerryinromania

A good away point. Pukki playing well, but certainly needs to get his wellies on the correct feet. Half time, I went over to the dakest of beyond. Hardly anyone had any time for any of our players. Seems to be, that because Vrancic didn't start,the others, in the main, were not worth bothering about.Good that we have so many experts about

Din

Din

So fucking frustrating. As said above had the chances to win 2 games but we just could not put the ball in the net. It wasn't like though we were testing Dubravka a lot, he made a couple of good saves but the story of the game was us getting into good positions time after time and making the wrong choice. Duda, Pukki and Byram all so wasteful in front of goal.

Have to say though, even though I was saying before the game Vrancic should be in over McLean, Kenny was actually very good, arguably our best player. Defensively as well we were superb, Hanley and Zimbo very solid, just the final 3rd that let us down.

Huge opportunity missed as well, because other results couldn't have gone more perfectly for us. A win takes us within 5 points of 17th. Still a tough task but with the momentum of a win today behind us all it takes is a couple of wins and we're right back in it. 7 points adrift with some tough games coming up. Hate to be negative but that's us done.

Last edited:
morty

morty

Staff member
Frustrating, should have been 3 points, grinding out the odd point is no longer enough. So wasteful in front of goal. Toon supporting mate of mine is utterly puzzled as to how his team has managed to get to 31 points.

Definitely 2 points dropped, for me.

N

Number 9

How many on the forum would have brought on Drmic?

morty

morty

Staff member
How many on the forum would have brought on Drmic?
Difficult. Pukki kept getting in the positions, so Farke probably thinking he has to get one eventually, and he probably needs a goal to pick him up a bit, and subbing him could well do him no good. Drimc probably deserved a chance, but I didn't see the game, and would only of taken Pukki off if it was obvious he had given up on the game, and let his head drop. No idea if Drimc is 100% fit yet either.

Fenway Frank

Fenway Frank

Not a bad shout to have bought him on, presumably alongside Pukki. Who would you have taken off though, Duda ?

N

Number 9

Not a bad shout to have bought him on, presumably alongside Pukki. Who would you have taken off though, Duda ?
Not sure but I was wondering whether someone would suggest two up front. Obviously thats a big departure from Plan A, but for all the reasons Morty mentioned, you migt want to keep Teemu on, yet he's not on form and we need goals.
We were creating more than enough chances so perhaps one midfielder?
Duda was doing well so I'd probably have kept him on.

morty

morty

Staff member
Not sure but I was wondering whether someone would suggest two up front. Obviously thats a big departure from Plan A, but for all the reasons Morty mentioned, you migt want to keep Teemu on, yet he's not on form and we need goals.
We were creating more than enough chances so perhaps one midfielder?
Duda was doing well so I'd probably have kept him on.
I think the real key to playing two strikers is to be able to play 3 at the back, and it has been rare this season that we have had enough centre backs to actually do it. Godfrey is back next week, so I expect Hanley or Zimmerman to break a leg in training...

Fenway Frank

Fenway Frank

Drmic.Wouldn't have been worse than Buendia
Thing is, whenever you make a sub you’re taking chance, as much as you hope that the player going on will do their job and change the game there’s no guarantees. I’m sure when Farke sent Emi on he thought there was a chance he could create something that Pukki would put away. Not easy is it ?

N

Number 9

Thing is, whenever you make a sub you’re taking chance, as much as you hope that the player going on will do their job and change the game there’s no guarantees. I’m sure when Farke sent Emi on he thought there was a chance he could create something that Pukki would put away. Not easy is it ?
We were already creating an extraordinary of chances though, we had enough shots to sink a battleship, the problem was not converting the chances.
I love Emi, but he's not a goal scorer, it was the wrong sub.
The error was compounded when Vrancic came on, they would have needed to be superhuman to create more opportunities than we already had, we needed a striker on to help Teemu.

N

Number 9

There are numerous football + tactical + psychological reasons why Farke wouldn't have wanted to take Teemu off, but my personal feeling is that Drmic should have came on to take advantage.
We were creating so many chances, having an extra predator in those positions might have taken some of the pressure off Teemu, he may have relaxed and scored anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.