By using Norwichtalk.com services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

Norwich City vs Portsmouth (home) FA cup Saturday 5th January.

Status
Not open for further replies.
morty

morty

Staff member
Reckon we could see a fair bit of yoof for this one....

And hopefully Kenny Mcclean!

dj161

dj161

gotta be some rotation for this one, plenty of injury problems in recent weeks so time to give some people a rest, I'd imagine well see McGovern, Pinto, Marshall, Trybull, Hanley, Rhodes and maybe even Passlack assuming he's still in the country

Canaryboy

Canaryboy

I suspect he'll start Rhodes up front with Srberny occupying one of the three attacking midfield options.

You realise how threadbare we are when you try and put an XI together for this game..... I wouldn't want to play Tettey for this fixture, but then I'd probably want Trybull in a sort of playmaker role because we can't afford to risk Vrancic until Leitner is back and I doubt McLean will be able to do any more than 60 minutes if fit?

So Godfrey in the Tettey position would perhaps make sense, with Pinto at left back?

Could possibly see Ben Marshall on the right side of the attacking midfield? Probably be a square peg for a round hole, but we're going to have a few of those anyway!

Canaryboy

Canaryboy

Might be best for all concerned if we just went 4-4-2 for this fixture, but Farke would never do it.

Then we could actually put together a team pretty easily.....

McGovern
Passlack Hanley Zimmermann Pinto

Marshall Trybull Godfrey McLean

Srberny Rhodes​

(Take McLean off after 60, if he's available, for probably Cantwell..... otherwise start Cantwell?).

Canaryboy

Canaryboy

I think Farke has been reading this forum and copying my XI..... only difference is Cantwell instead of Pinto!

Din

Din

Don't usually do cup games but am going to this one. Looking forward to seeing McLean and Marshall, should be a good game as well.

Canaryboy

Canaryboy

Shame for Louis Thompson that he isn't fit to play against his brother today!

EDIT: Actually his brother is out injured too, must be in the genes!

Last edited:
Canaryboy

Canaryboy

Worst commentator ever on my stream, just said:

"Klose is coming on for Marshall so it looks like Norwich are going to play for the 0-0 and go for the win at Portman Road"

Then....

"Norwich are going to shut up shop here for 15 minutes"

Errmm.... its been all us for 20 minutes, Farke doesn't even know how to try and play for a draw, he's clearly switching to a three man defence in advance of bringing on the cavalry and Portsmouth don't play at fucking Portman Road. As if the team in 2nd in the Championship, currently going through an injury crisis, wants another fucking 90 minutes in the cup :rolleyes:

Earlier he said something about McLean not getting in the team all season, he's been fucking injured.

He's so bad that he'd made Daryl Sutch sound like Gary Neville if he was co-commentating.

ps. I feel like a baby who has just seen its dad after he's shaved his beard off for the first time every time I see Cantwell, is that his natural hair colour.

pps.... Zimmermann has been excellent today.

G

GJP

Thought Zimmermann was MOTM. But also thought McLean showed some nice stuff - big fan of midfielders who want to drive at the opposition. Similarly I thought Passlack did quite well, read a lot of situations and was good with the ball. Think there's always going to be that issue with him being a bit lightweight but at times he was clever in the way he defended.

Srbeny quite lively without doing much. Rhodes less lively and did even less. Cantwell quite bright at times but just lacks that killer instinct around the box.

Godfrey better in the centre than at leftback but I think that's obvious.

The lads gave it a good go and you could see after about 60-70mins the ones that haven't played as much football were running out of steam.

As for Portsmouth, typical Kenny Jackett side - workman-like, fairly well organised. Lowe a decent threat on the break.

Canaryboy

Canaryboy

I have to say, its getting a bit tiring seeing Farke moaning about officials.... especially when there is really no argument.... Hanley was the last man, it was a terrible decision to bring down their player and you tell by his face as he walked off the pitch that he knew it.

To be honest its also getting a bit tiring seeing Jordan Rhodes go down so easily all the time. I think he at least needs a few sessions with Grant Holt on how to go down more convincingly after drawing a foul, because his success rate doesn't feel very high to me.

I'd rather be out of the cup than have to face a replay though to be honest, glad it was settled in 90 minutes.

Din

Din

Thought Godfrey was a beast at centre back, comfortably our best player. Cantwell also very good. Passlack was ok but as said above his physicality is a real issue. McLean and Marshall both showed some nice stuff, it was a shame for Marshall though that he got moved to left back after Hanley's red card. Srbeny I thought was pretty useless.

The red card I thought at the time was a bit harsh, as it looked to me as if McGovern was going to get the ball anyway as the Portsmouth hit it too far ahead of him. Frustrating really that Hanley will now miss the West Brom game, and didn't get a chance to play properly this game.

Anyway, we're out the cup. Who cares? League is more important, particularly with West Brom and Leeds coming up.

Fenway Frank

Fenway Frank

I think Passlack would be better as a wingback. Thought it was pretty obvious why Marshall can’t get game, I reckon he needs to play in a 4-4-2

Status
Not open for further replies.