By using Norwichtalk.com services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

Norwich City vs Preston North End (Away) Saturday 14th January

Status
Not open for further replies.
morty

morty

Staff member
Getting this going early, back to work tomorrow so may not have time!

Looking at the formation for the last game may give us a clue as to how Wagner wants us to play, or it may just be based on players he had available, and tell us nothing at all!

cup game.jpg

Obviously (hopefully) we'll see Gunn back in goal, I have a sneaky feeling Pukki might get dropped for Josh Sargent, especially given Wagner's comments saying he sees him as a central striker. Did Giannoulis do enough to keep his place? Not sure. I can't see Hanley being dropped even though he deserves it for that shocking back pass! Nunez didn't have the best of games, but we're hardly bursting with midfield options!

N

Number 9

Looking at the formation for the last game may give us a clue as to how Wagner wants us to play, or it may just be based on players he had available, and tell us nothing at all!

View attachment 1183

Obviously (hopefully) we'll see Gunn back in goal, I have a sneaky feeling Pukki might get dropped for Josh Sargent, especially given Wagner's comments saying he sees him as a central striker. Did Giannoulis do enough to keep his place? Not sure. I can't see Hanley being dropped even though he deserves it for that shocking back pass! Nunez didn't have the best of games, but we're hardly bursting with midfield options!
I've read that Wagner prefers 4 3 3 with the full backs being high up the pitch making it a 2 3 5, but one of the three midfielders dropping deep to support the centre backs and the central striker dropping deep sometimes to get the ball.

morty

morty

Staff member
I've read that Wagner prefers 4 3 3 with the full backs being high up the pitch making it a 2 3 5, but one of the three midfielders dropping deep to support the centre backs and the central striker dropping deep sometimes to get the ball.
Kenny played the deep lying role well, and that striker sounds like it should be Josh!

N

Number 9

Kenny played the deep lying role well, and that striker sounds like it should be Josh!
Kenny got plaudits for playing that role, he was alternating with Gabby.
According to what I've read between the lines, I think you're right, Sargent starting up front without Teemu.

Does that mean there's interest for a Teemu transfer? Who knows, could just be Wagner planning for next season because of the contract situations?

Gunvald Larsson

Gunvald Larsson

Sarge must be a better long term bet than Teemu who, let's face it, is not as sharp as he was. He is still a top striker and will score goals, but I have a feeling his time is coming to a close.

N

Number 9

Sarge must be a better long term bet than Teemu who, let's face it, is not as sharp as he was. He is still a top striker and will score goals, but I have a feeling his time is coming to a close.
So his contracts up in the summer? What do you do, he's not 25 anymore.

N

Number 9

View attachment 1183

Wagner saying if three strikers are fit then two will start and one on the bench.

Gunvald Larsson

Gunvald Larsson

Josh + Adam is, for me, a better choice as we currently have no creative players to provide Teemu with many chances. If Wagner wants the 'wing-backs' to put crosses in he needs people to get on the end of them. That is one of Josh's strengths and he and Adam should have the muscle to bully defenders into possibly making mistakes.

Gunvald Larsson

Gunvald Larsson

What a difference ... the players seemed interested and engaged with what they were trying to do instead of looking baffled. I said ages ago that Smith was too bogged down with 'tactics' and 'stats' and this performance shows that football isn't as complicated as Smith made it appear. McLean outstanding again ... who'd have thought it? Pukki was class. Dowell was excellent. Just one game I know, but ... what a difference!

Ratings
Krul 7
Aarons 8
Omobomidele 7
Hanley 7
Giannoulis 8
Hernandez 7
McLean 9
Sara 7
Dowell 9
Pukki 9
Sargent 8