By using Norwichtalk.com services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

Norwich City vs Sheffield United (Home) Saturday 26th January.

Status
Not open for further replies.
morty

morty

Staff member
This could be feisty, both on and off the pitch. I watched Sheff U against Swansea the other night, and I'm not sure how the blades contrived to lose the game, as Swansea really weren't up to much. Not much to choose between us in the form tables.

Untitled.jpg

OldRobert

OldRobert

Disappointed that scum are not bottom, still can't have everything. Hopefully as far as 'Blades' are concerned this will be the start of a good slide.:cool:

Din

Din

Cannot wait for this. Absolutely massive game, and one that I actually think will be tougher than Leeds away next week. Sheffield United losing last week though has taken the pressure off us a bit, in the sense that as we're above them this is a must-not-lose game, rather than a must-win which it probably would've been had we gone into this game below them. It would be fantastic though if we won, not only would we go 6 points clear but it would send Wilder and all their moron fans into a crying frenzy just like it did when we beat them at Brammal Lane last season.

Same team as Birmingham if everyone is fit. I have to say I do have concerns about Godfrey at centre back considering the attacking players Sheffield United have. In general he has been very good since coming in, but he has switched off a couple of times which has led to us conceding, including last week. So with that in mind I wouldn't be against seeing Hanley come in. I do also worry that Trybull and Vrancic in holding midfield is a bit lightweight, but Trybull was superb last week and Tettey still isn't fit yet so we've got no choice but to go with it really. In McLean, Rhodes and Cantwell we've also got some brilliant options off the bench.

Not gonna try and predict this, just praying we will get a result. OTBC

morty

morty

Staff member
Emi Buendia fit, good news!

Tettey maybe back for Leeds, Klose maybe for Ipswich.

Leitner maybe back for Leeds, more likely Ipswich.

Bad news :- Carlton Morris out for 10 weeks with ankle injury, Louis Thompson also out for 10 weeks with a knee injury, effectively ending their season.

Canaryboy

Canaryboy

Bad news :- Carlton Morris out for 10 weeks with ankle injury, Louis Thompson also out for 10 weeks with a knee injury, effectively ending their season.

If we go up this season its probably the end of their Norwich careers to be honest. It will be similar to when we went up under Lambert and had to leave Adeyemi and Korey Smith behind.

morty

morty

Staff member
If we go up this season its probably the end of their Norwich careers to be honest. It will be similar to when we went up under Lambert and had to leave Adeyemi and Korey Smith behind.
I think, though am not sure, that Carlton may be out of contract in the summer? But didn't Louis sign a longer contract not so long ago?

Edit, just looked at transfermarkt, Louis contracted till June 2022, Carlton June 2020!

Canaryboy

Canaryboy

The Louis Thompson 3 year contract extension was an odd one considering his two and a half years of injury problems.

I believe in 2.5 seasons he has only actually started 2 league games..... he's 24 years old.

16 appearances in all competitions, mostly cup games or coming off the bench in the league.

He was previously contracted to this coming summer. Surely a new one year deal with optional extension would have been more sensible.... both are well over 21 years old and I highly doubt would get a space in a Premier League 25 man squad with us.

dj161

dj161

I think you have to keep in mind we are probably 6 or 7 places higher than where we expected to be at this stage of the season when those contract extensions were given out, I believe it's next season we'd of realistically been looking at aiming for a promotion push, it's just that this season has gone so much better than anyone would of thought that they seem like strange deals now, but at the time having sold Madders, Murphy, Wes moving on, we needed to tie some players down to new deals, at least we can probably get a few quid for them if we go up, and if we don't we still have a couple of decent young prospects under contract

Incidentally I had a dream we won 1-0 so thats my prediction

morty

morty

Staff member
I have woken up in an optimistic mood and had a punt on us to win 3-1. And a cheeky side bet of Emi to score first.

N

Number 9

I have woken up in an optimistic mood and had a punt on us to win 3-1. And a cheeky side bet of Emi to score first.

Michael Bailey came up with a good start this week ref Emi.
Screenshot_20190126-113812_Twitter.jpg

N

Number 9

If I've read that correctly, I'm glad he's playing today.

OldRobert

OldRobert

Norwich (4-2-3-1): Krul; Aarons, Zimmermann (C),Godfrey, Lewis; Trybull, Vrancic; Buendia, Stiepermann, Hernandez; Pukki.

Subs: McGovern (GK),Hanley, Passlack, McLean, Cantwell, Srbeny, Rhodes

dj161

dj161

fair result, bit disappointing having lead twice, but can't really complain about the result, the ref was shite

Fenway Frank

Fenway Frank

We weren’t at our best today and our passing wasn’t great at times. You can’t play possession football if you needlessly give the ball away. Disappointing but have to say a fair result and it keeps us well and truly in the hunt. On to next week

Din

Din

Yeah fair result in the end, as you say though dj frustrating after leading twice. We do seem to have a bit of a soft underbelly, which really isn't something you want as a team going for promotion. Klose and Tettey being out doesn't help, but I just never fancied us to see the lead out until half-time, even with seconds remaining. Hopefully once Tettey and Klose are back I expect us to start being a lot more solid and better at seeing out results.

Ultimately though this was a must-not lose game for us. A point would be fine as it meant Sheffield United wouldn't gain any ground on us, and they didn't. So I'm happy enough about that. I do find it funny United were time-wasting, and their fans were singing that 'take your time Sheffield United' song, considering that them time-wasting was fine by us. A draw is a much better result for us than it is them, as it means they haven't gained any ground on us. Particularly considering our favourable run of games after Leeds next week. Not the brightest bunch are they.

Have to say though, not sure why Farke didn't make a change much earlier. Stiepermann and Buendia were knackered after 70 minutes and should've been taken off at that point, at 2-1 up as well the game could've panned out very differently if we add a bit more energy to the pitch.

Thought there were a lot of good performances today. I know it's been said numerous times but the change in Stiepermann is ridiculous. He was good when he first broke into the team this season, but even since then he's come on leaps and bounds. I find myself thinking every time we win possession, "try and find Stiepermann", because I have so much faith in his ability to do something with the ball. Fast becoming one of my favourite players. Zimmermann also superb, and in general the whole team was very good for 70 minutes, even if we did show Sheffield United too much respect after we went 1-0 up. Also our first goal was absolutely beautiful.

All in all though while it's disappointing having led, it's a decent point overall. The most important thing over recent weeks through this tough run of games has been that we collect a decent amount of points to keep in touch with the top 2, seeing as after Leeds next week only 1 of our remaining 16 games are against teams in the top 6, and even that is against Boro who we've had a lot of joy against recently. We've done that, and hopefully we can go and get a result and Leeds next week.

Best moment of the match though had to be Zimmermann shoving Billy Sharp straight to the ground off the ball, and then Sharp getting up and tryna square up to him before realising he barely comes up to Zimmermann's shoulder :D dunno how Zimmermann didn't get a yellow card but oh well.

Now let's go and get a result against Leeds. OTBC.

morty

morty

Staff member
Ach, obviously my bets never came in!

A point fair in the end I guess, I had a real sinking feeling after they scored that we could go on and lose it. I felt we were very sluggish second half, maybe an emotional hangover from the penalty conceded late in the first (Just saw it on Sky and a bit soft for me) but we didn't look at it at all after the break. I thought the subs could have been made earlier, maybe Mcclean for Stieperman? I thought the ref was a bit shit, amongst other things we seemed to lose about 2 minutes of the 5 added on at the end, but I felt he looked knackered and wasn't really keeping up with the game.

Overall, not the worst result, but I really would have liked to have beaten them, just because it is them, and it is Wilder.

Canaryboy

Canaryboy

At least this leaves open the possibility of going top at Portman Road.... :p

Beat Leeds 1-0 and that will leave us 2nd on goal difference.

Then get more points against Ipswich than Leeds do in their fixture that weekend, and bingo.

G

GJP

Very good game of football and a better result for us than them.

Can't argue the penalty, absolutely stupidity from Buendia....but I struggle to be annoyed with him because he just plays like he f*cking means it.

Thought it was another one of those classic Pukki performances where he was pretty much always sh*t when the ball went into him but he scored.

We don't seem to be quite at our best at the moment but we're still producing enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.