By using Norwichtalk.com services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

Norwich City vs Southampton (home) Friday June 19th.

Status
Not open for further replies.
OldRobert

OldRobert

Question is, where do they go from here? Just scrap this season? Finish it in the summer? There is no outcome here that pleases everyone.

There are clubs that are going to go to the wall without the gate receipts.

You know you can never please all of the people all of the time.;)

morty

morty

Staff member
The PL have over 1billion in cash just sitting there. Maybe it's time for them to help the lower league clubs who will REALLY need help.
I suspect that their line will be "Well financial fair play should have prompted clubs to get their financial houses in order". I feel maybe a little smug that ours is...

OldRobert

OldRobert

That's all very well if you don't rely on gate and catering receipts, and anything else you can dream up on match days, in order to exist. Take that away, and what have those lower L1 and L2 teams got for income?

morty

morty

Staff member
That's all very well if you don't rely on gate and catering receipts, and anything else you can dream up on match days, in order to exist. Take that away, and what have those lower L1 and L2 teams got for income?
This is going to have a massive effect on a lot of smaller clubs, and small businesses too, which makes the governments task in dealing with this a very difficult balancing act. This crisis could plunge Italy into a financial depression they may never recover from.

OldRobert

OldRobert

Italy seems to have a very high case per 100,000 population (25) as well as a very high mortality rate of 6.7%, compared to China 5.8 and a mortality rate of 3.9%. Why this should be, goodness knows.

morty

morty

Staff member
Italy seems to have a very high case per 100,000 population (25) as well as a very high mortality rate of 6.7%, compared to China 5.8 and a mortality rate of 3.9%. Why this should be, goodness knows.
I was discussing this with a friend, who is medically trained, and coupled with a few things I saw on Twitter, we came to the conclusion that smoking could well be a factor. China, Spain, Iran and Italy all smoke like lab beagles. Considering that this is a disease that attacks the lungs, we could well be onto something here!

OldRobert

OldRobert

I repeat what I said before.................football without spectators isn't football.

Last edited:
Canaryboy

Canaryboy

The PL have over 1billion in cash just sitting there. Maybe it's time for them to help the lower league clubs who will REALLY need help.

They should help, yes.

But I suspect a proportion of that is already earmarked for distribution to members, the prize money for the finishing places for example?

This is the 'Merit payment' which last season was £38m for first place, £36m for second place, £35m for third place, £33m for fourth place, £31m for fifth place, and continues like that all down the league.

The need to finish the league to get receive that money is why clubs were so keen to resume playing.

Canaryboy

Canaryboy

I repeat what I said before.................football without spectators isn't football.

Although I do agree, if football stopped early March and resumed early August.... that's 5 months without playing, our kids could stand still or go backwards.

As a team with so much young talent we probably have more to lose than most other clubs in the top tier. We need to get Cantwell, Godfrey and Aarons kicking on again (and Jamal Lewis looking like a good player again).

OldRobert

OldRobert

Yesterday. horses running at Newcastle (I'm not a fan btw,) charging past the post in total silence, another poor animal falls and dies in total silence. Not horse racing.................dunno what the hell that is. As for our youngsters, imho Cantwell and Aarons at least may well be kicking on anyway but not with us, and playing behind closed doors isn't going to improve them one jot.

Fenway Frank

Fenway Frank

If we beat Southampton I think we’ll all be a lot more interested

morty

morty

Staff member
Grant Hanley has done his hamstring and likely out for the season.

Are we ever going to have 4 fit CB's?

N

Number 9

Grant Hanley has done his hamstring and likely out for the season.

Are we ever going to have 4 fit CB's?
You don't know who is out with the virus yet either?
It's possibly a defender.

N

Number 9

Whoever tested positive is now negative so should be ok as far as I know
They need to be tested again by the League, if that comes back as ok then they are allowed to train on their own, it'll be two weeks before back in the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.