By using Norwichtalk.com services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

Norwich City vs Southampton (Home) Saturday 20th November.

Status
Not open for further replies.
morty

morty

Staff member
Firstly, obviously a win would be very welcome indeed!

Southampton arrive in decent form (see below) but we will obviously be looking for that new manager bounce. He turns up at Colney today, so he has 3 days in training, and I like to think he has been watching videos of previous matches, and has a plan. He is known for liking a 4-3-3, so that may be a clue. Will be interesting to see if Gilmour or Cantwell feature.

Not sure of any other injury issues other than Hanley.

form.jpg

Fenway Frank

Fenway Frank

I would think it’s too early for Cantwell but he may make the bench. As for Gilmour, where will he play him if selected? I think he’ll be higher up the pitch than we’ve seen, Lees Melou to miss out.
It will be interesting to see what happens with McLean, particularly if the Hourihane rumours are true. Wouldn’t be surprised if he goes to Rangers on loan in January with payment in the summer if Smith doesn’t fancy him.

morty

morty

Staff member
I would think it’s too early for Cantwell but he may make the bench. As for Gilmour, where will he play him if selected? I think he’ll be higher up the pitch than we’ve seen, Lees Melou to miss out.
It will be interesting to see what happens with McLean, particularly if the Hourihane rumours are true. Wouldn’t be surprised if he goes to Rangers on loan in January with payment in the summer if Smith doesn’t fancy him.
I have to admit, I haven't even given any thought as to who Smith might look at in January.

Gilmour, for me, remains a tricky one. I feel he is a luxury player that we really don't need, and that he would be massively more suited in a team that can dominate games, which we really haven't, so far. The criticism of him is that he needs to work on his defensive side a bit more, he really can't expect to play for us like he plays for Scotland, which, lets face it, is a hugely lower level than Premier league football. I think you would have to change our system to accommodate him, if you feel he is worth it.

N

Number 9

Looking forward to seeing the teamsheet on Saturday at 14:00!

Will Deano change the team which beat Brentford?

I probably would.

Fenway Frank

Fenway Frank

Yeah I watched the press conference and he definitely wants us to concede less. I don't reckon he'll do much that is radically different from Farke.
That will be 4 2 3 1 then, who plays alongside Normann?

N

Number 9

Yeah I watched the press conference and he definitely wants us to concede less. I don't reckon he'll do much that is radically different from Farke.
Must surely do somethings different to stop conceding silly goals.
Set piece coaching is a must, but I think it'll probably look like our players getting back into position and organised alot quicker after a break falls down.
Also sitting off players.

N

Number 9

Two DM's? Sorenson?
I'm undecided as to what Smith will go for player selection wise.
Yes, he's stressed several times that we need to be solid and not concede.

Obviously this week he has only a few days with players to sort out organisation level of defending.
He apparently impressed the board with his indepth knowledge of our players, whether that stretched to the whole squad or just the recent players on the field, I don't know.

Normann and Sorensen together is an interesting idea, would presumably give the players around them a little more freedom.
ie.
The centre backs would be more protected and perhaps be less inclined to make desperate lunges.
The full backs would have a touch more help getting back to put out fires.
The attacking players would perhaps be less required to drop deep defending, so would be available and ready to do some damage on the Southampton goal.

Or not...

morty

morty

Staff member
I'm undecided as to what Smith will go for player selection wise.
Yes, he's stressed several times that we need to be solid and not concede.

Obviously this week he has only a few days with players to sort out organisation level of defending.
He apparently impressed the board with his indepth knowledge of our players, whether that stretched to the whole squad or just the recent players on the field, I don't know.

Normann and Sorensen together is an interesting idea, would presumably give the players around them a little more freedom.
ie.
The centre backs would be more protected and perhaps be less inclined to make desperate lunges.
The full backs would have a touch more help getting back to put out fires.
The attacking players would perhaps be less required to drop deep defending, so would be available and ready to do some damage on the Southampton goal.

Or not...
I know Farke used to get grief when he played two DM's, but the grief was kind of justified when we were dominating most games in the Championship, I'm quite surprised he never did it in the Prem, though maybe he doesn't see Sorenson as quite ready for this league. But the biggest issue with that, and indeed a lot of our play this season, is the transition between defence and attack. It has been way, way too slow, resulting in Teemu being swamped with defenders when he finally gets the ball. That said two DM's could well make that situation worse unless you can really get your passing accurate and quick.

It's a strange one, we have clearly bought players to play a certain style, I just hope Deano and Shakey (That's what they call him apparently) can unpick the puzzle and get the balance right.

N

Number 9

I know Farke used to get grief when he played two DM's, but the grief was kind of justified when we were dominating most games in the Championship, I'm quite surprised he never did it in the Prem, though maybe he doesn't see Sorenson as quite ready for this league. But the biggest issue with that, and indeed a lot of our play this season, is the transition between defence and attack. It has been way, way too slow, resulting in Teemu being swamped with defenders when he finally gets the ball. That said two DM's could well make that situation worse unless you can really get your passing accurate and quick.

It's a strange one, we have clearly bought players to play a certain style, I just hope Deano and Shakey (That's what they call him apparently) can unpick the puzzle and get the balance right.
Sorensen seems composed when I've seen him play, surely playing him in his best position will help his development too.
Not sure what Smith will do, looking forward to Saturday at 2pm with trepidation.
When Sam Byram starts up front we'll be worried.

N

Number 9

And it's probably fair to assume that the starting 11 on Saturday might be different to the starting 11 next weekend once he's had the players in training for another few days.

OldRobert

OldRobert

Leave it all with you Mr Smith. I don't believe it'll be worse than it has been. We have to have some belief in the new coach and his assistant or what's the point.

N

Number 9

Webber talking about Todd -

“For Todd, what is really important for him is to get himself fit, keep himself fit, that’s what he’s done in fairness in the last few weeks.

He’s got himself fit, he’s trained through the whole of the international break, he’s been brilliant, and now he’s got to impress Dean and Shakey (assistant head coach, Craig Shakespeare) and show that he can help the team.

morty

morty

Staff member
Deano doing the presser early, as I think he prefers to start training at 12.

DS: 'We have a fully fit squad. Apart from Zimbo and Byram is playing 45 mins for the 23s tonight.'

DS asked about Normann. 'Very interesting player. I watched his first 45 in midweek, and then watched Teemu's game. But Mathias can be a very important player for us this season. He wants to get better. He wants to learn.'

DS: We have really good backing from our supporters. I know they'll be behind us Saturday. But we're very respectful of Ralph and Southampton, they're a hard team to play against.

Memories of Carrow Road… DS: “Good results and bad results here. My abiding memory is that the supporters are very welcoming. Although, I want them to be welcoming to Norwich City but not so much Southampton.”

Cantwell for the starting XI? “He appears to be fit but we’ll assess him today.”

Fans need to buy into the process… DS: “We need them to get behind us. The only way we’ll win football games is if we all pull together.”

On not being relegated. Putting reputation on the line? DS: “I looked at the squad, I spoke to Neil and Stuart and I liked what I saw. Some people will say it’s a risk but I see it as an opportunity.”

DS: “First season after promotion is the hardest, survival has to be the aim. If you survive then you can build.”

Opportunities for young players… DS: “Mathias and Teemu didn’t train yesterday (due to international fixtures). So, we had young Abu Kamara train with us.”

Nice pay off line from #ncfc DS: 'I've got a minibus load coming up from Birmingham with their green and yellow scarves.'

Status
Not open for further replies.