By using Norwichtalk.com services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

Norwich City vs Swansea (away) Friday 5th February.

Status
Not open for further replies.
morty

morty

Staff member
This game has become slightly bigger than it needed to be. Had we won the last few games, instead of drawing, we would be looking at this and probably be happy with a point, now it feels like we really could do with 3. Suddenly Brentford are 4 points behind us, with a game in hand, and we really could do with rediscovering winning form, and just keep them at arm's length.

We really need to find a bit of swagger again, and not just accept that without Emi we can't win games. And we need to get back to winning, because "Norwich unbeaten in X games" can quite quickly turn into "Norwich, not won in X games". There's no panic button being pressed here, but I am mildly concerned that we are in a wee rut, and we really could do with getting out of it. This isn't the first time we have been without Emi, Farke should have an oven ready plan to cope.

OldRobert

OldRobert

No creativity atm without Emi. No one seems to be able to take his place , Cantwell who should be able to create a bit, has been lacklustre for a game or two, and for me should have been hooked last game. Subs were very late last time out, we just aren't playing well imo. A rut sums it up, I hope DF has dished out a rocket or two, good players can still play well on a crap pitch.

morty

morty

Staff member
No creativity atm without Emi. No one seems to be able to take his place , Cantwell who should be able to create a bit, has been lacklustre for a game or two, and for me should have been hooked last game. Subs were very late last time out, we just aren't playing well imo. A rut sums it up, I hope DF has dished out a rocket or two, good players can still play well on a crap pitch.
It isn't just the Millwall game, it seems performance levels have dropped in the last two or three. I understand that we have changed how we operate, and understand the reasons why, but we have gone a wee bit too defensive now, and it is stifling our creative players, cleans sheets aren't going to win us this league!

Fenway Frank

Fenway Frank

I would hope that Kenny will come back into the team, not sure what to do about Mario, realistically back on the bench as I think the two deep midfielders will need to be pretty mobile

Din

Din

Really nervous about this one. Absolute huge game, a proper do not lose. Can't say though after our last 2 performances that I'm overly confident.

Team I'd go for:

Krul
Aarons Hanley Gibson Giannoulis
Skipp Rupp
Cantwell McLean Placheta
Pukki
Hate to say it but I'm not confident about this at all. If we can win it's be absolutely huge, but a loss would really open the door for Swansea and Brentford to knock us off our perch. If we can scrape a draw from this one I'll be happy with that.

morty

morty

Staff member
Just saw someone say they wondered if Sorenson and Quintilla may come in, due to the game workload?

I wonder if we might see Tettey tonight.

morty

morty

Staff member
Untitled.jpg

hogesar

hogesar

Well two mistakes and poor finishing is what cost us.

We ended up creating more than Swansea. Remember one of their goals was a goalkeeping mistake and the other from 22 yards. We had multiple opportunities from in and around the area but failed to get anything on target.

It reminded me very much of our games at the start of the season where I pointed out if we create chances and have that much of the ball eventually we will get the rewards and we went on a ridiculously good run. Play like that against one of the lesser sides and we will score a couple and rebuild the confidence of the attacking players.

Nothing to worry about or cry about.

G

gerryinromania

Well, I was quite enjoying that till our senior players screwed up. Krul, Maclean and Pukki, should be getting low marks for that.Pukki isn't Pukki anymore.We are too reliant on a woefully out of touch striker, sure he will score again. People are saying he's not getting the service, but I don't agree. However, I did enjoy first half, thought we the better team Este Viata as they say out here in the wilds

OldRobert

OldRobert

I say again Placheta should not start. He is contributing nada, and I don't care how quick he is.:(

Din

Din

I mean there’s no getting round it, tonight was very disappointing. We gifted Swansea two goals and paid the ultimate price for it, handing them the 3 points on a silver platter without them even having to play that well.

Fact is though, if we have a full week to prepare like they did, instead of the 2 days, and have Emi Buendia in our side, I think we beat them based on what we saw tonight. That’s not me making excuses, it’s simply that I believe we are better than Swansea and are more than capable of finishing above them this season.

We now have a whole week off to reflect and put the work in on the training ground, before a run of 5 games against Stoke, Wycombe, Birmingham, Coventry and Rotherham. There are a lot of points to be taken there. Get a good haul from those 5 games and we’ll be in a very strong position going into the last dozen games of the season.

N

Number 9

We had shots (one on target)
Swansea had shots (four on target)

We had 60% possession and stuck to Plan A.

Swansea chose to use their Plan B and defended with counter attacks.

Swansea scored two goals, we didn't.

"We were by far the better team" (no we weren't)

NB. It doesn't mean that we won't get promoted, however, it may give a warning to our preparedness for life in the big League, when Emi and others will be playing against us.

morty

morty

Staff member
I said after the last game that "Norwich unbeaten in X games" can very quickly turn into "Norwich without a win in X games" and here we are.

And whilst there will be no ridiculous pant wetting from me, the lack of chances taken in the last three games, not just last night, is concerning, and I am slightly annoyed we have blown the good lead we had built up at the top. We have to stop this on Saturday, no excuses, we need a win, and I want to see a much better performance, or we really aren't going to be top of the league for much longer.

N

Number 9

I said after the last game that "Norwich unbeaten in X games" can very quickly turn into "Norwich without a win in X games" and here we are.

And whilst there will be no ridiculous pant wetting from me, the lack of chances taken in the last three games, not just last night, is concerning, and I am slightly annoyed we have blown the good lead we had built up at the top. We have to stop this on Saturday, no excuses, we need a win, and I want to see a much better performance, or we really aren't going to be top of the league for much longer.
If you're the opposition manager thinking how to play against us, it's not difficult,
1-let us have ball and when we start fannying around,
2- press hard, latch onto a dodgy back pass,
3- tap it in.
4- Go back to number 1.

morty

morty

Staff member
If you're the opposition manager thinking how to play against us, it's not difficult,
3- tap it in.
4- Go back to number 1.
When we're on it, none of that matters, Krul keeps us in the game and we just carve them open on a break, with silky football. And to be fair, we have been very, very good defensively this season. Last night probably should have been another boring nil-nil, but the Krul error was that catalyst.

hogesar

hogesar

3- tap it in.
4- Go back to number 1.
If its not difficult then I reckon more teams would have taken points from us and we would be no where near the top of the league.

In fact its quite clearly the complete opposite to what you're saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.