By using Norwichtalk.com services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

Norwich City vs West Ham (Away) Wednesday 12th January.

Status
Not open for further replies.
morty

morty

Staff member
Returned my ticket for this rescheduled game, oldest lad working, plus I can't be bothered with late night train faff.

Well, what did we learn from the cup game lol? We looked off the pace, out of sorts and frankly shit!

Not sure if there are any more back for this, we'll assume Todd will be "ill" and is no great loss anyway. I think Normann is maybe still a few weeks away. I have to say I thought Sorensen at DM, supposedly his favoured position, was particularly poor. Actually hoping Gilmour is back because our midfield looked worse without him, if that was even possible.

Honestly, can't see much from this, a point would be a great result.

morty

morty

Staff member
Gilmour out with ankle injury, 2 to 3 weeks, back at Chelsea being assessed. No question of him being recalled as he has reached threshold number of games played.

Rupp out. Normann still a few weeks away. Todd expected to train and be in squad (Hmmmm)

Hints that we may move to a back three for this one.

morty

morty

Staff member
Still no firm date with Normann but I asked DS if that trip to Wolves in the FA Cup in early Feb could suit Mathias, Omobamidele and Zimmermann and he pretty much agreed that is looking a likely schedule at the moment, in terms of their potential returns.

Din

Din

Third away game of the season for me. Can’t say I’m too optimistic but I’ve never been to the Olympic Park so I am at least looking forward to seeing some of that. I’m actually heading down to London early and spending the afternoon at Alexandra Palace watching snooker, which I fear is gonna be far more entertaining and fun to watch than this game is :oops:

As Morty said Deano seemed to hint towards 3 at the back in the presser. Makes a bit of sense given we’re pretty light in centre midfield with Normann, Rupp and Gilmour all out. I can’t say I was too impressed with any of the midfield 3 against Charlton but Lees-Melou in particular was shocking, so if we are dropping any I’d probably drop him. Team I’d be tempted to play:

Krul
Aarons Kabak Hanley Gibson Dimi
Sorenson McLean
Placheta Pukki Rashica

Subs: Gunn, Williams, Byram, Lees-Melou, Dowell, Cantwell, Tzolis, Sargent, Idah,
A real danger of that midfield being over-run particularly as West Ham’s midfield pairing of Rice and Soucek is one of the best in the league. But I would like to see that front 3 and in theory a back 5 should make us more solid, so I had to sacrifice a midfield spot. I do think though Williams will start over Dimi (and tbf Dimi had an absolutely woeful first half against Charlton) and that even if Smith does switch to 5 at the back he’ll stick with a 3 man midfield and then maybe play Pukki and Rashica as a front 2.

Not expecting much, but our next 3 games after this are Everton and Palace at home, Watford away. A run we simply have to be taking points from, so even if we don’t get a result here, I at least want to see some encouragement that this team are trying and are capable of picking up points.

morty

morty

Staff member
No Cantwell again...

dss.jpg

Fenway Frank

Fenway Frank

I’d love Gibbs to come on and score the winner, the binners would hate it.

No chance, 4-0

G

gerryinromania

On eurosport here. Thought we gave it a better go than past few games. Idah very unlucky that keeper touched his shot on to the post, would have been a very good goal. Don't know why Rashica was replaced by Dowell. Huge battle all match with Hanley and Antonio, think Hanley may have just edged it. Krul made a couple of decent saves. Think we badly missed gilmour and cantwel. OK, hands up, I made that bit up

morty

morty

Staff member
I thought we were alright, but ultimately not quite good enough. Stand out for me was Idah, I thought he was excellent, and really unlucky with that shot that got tipped onto the post. Our midfield really does concern me though, there is just nothing about it, the Buendia sized hole, and just how good he made everyone else look, is pretty obvious. And I know with two strikers on our wide players were looking to get to the byline and cross, but I would like to see a bit more cutting inside for a direct threat at goal, we just seem to give opposition defenders a quite easy ride.

To be fair to the team, they aren't throwing the towel in yet (apart from Cantwell, obviously) and we are by no means adrift, literally one win and we are virtually out of the bottom three.

It's the hope that kills you!

Din

Din

Another disappointing day out to be honest. We weren't as poor as we have been in recent weeks but we were just so flat and uninspiring. The fact we're only 3 points from safety at the moment is actually amazing, we look absolutely miles away from having the quality to be able to compete let alone pick up any sort of result or even score a goal. I'm not even angry at our performances, just really sad. I know there's no guarantees in football etc but we were promised so much better than this. The fact that we comfortably lost 2-0 with West Ham barely getting out of 2nd gear, and yet that was still better than I expected before the game says it all really.

Idah though was the one positive. Probably his best performance in a Norwich shirt yet, definitely at Premier League level, and was so unlucky with that shot that Fabianski tipped onto the post. I thought Lees-Melou had a decent first half, and Hanley was generally pretty solid. A lot of the performances were just average at best though, and the goals we conceded were so poor. No way 5"7 Bowen should be out-jumping Gibson for the opener. Completely exasperating.

Everton at home, Watford away, Palace at home. 3 games we need a big points return from. I can't see it but if we're going to score some goals and pick up some results we need to do it now.

I have to say as well, I wasn't massively impressed by the Olympic stadium. A brilliant venue obviously and the facilities and everything are amazing, but it didn't feel like a football ground at all. I can really see why West Ham fans aren't that pleased with the move. As a place to watch football I much preferred Upton Park. Plus, I was the 2nd row from the back in the upper tier, row 72, and not only was I so far from the action but I spent the first 15 minutes of each half getting my breath back from climbing up all those stairs! I'm glad I went so I can tick it off the list, and like I say it is a fantastic stadium, but I'm not bothered about watching a football match there again.

morty

morty

Staff member
Another disappointing day out to be honest. We weren't as poor as we have been in recent weeks but we were just so flat and uninspiring. The fact we're only 3 points from safety at the moment is actually amazing, we look absolutely miles away from having the quality to be able to compete let alone pick up any sort of result or even score a goal. I'm not even angry at our performances, just really sad. I know there's no guarantees in football etc but we were promised so much better than this. The fact that we comfortably lost 2-0 with West Ham barely getting out of 2nd gear, and yet that was still better than I expected before the game says it all really.

Idah though was the one positive. Probably his best performance in a Norwich shirt yet, definitely at Premier League level, and was so unlucky with that shot that Fabianski tipped onto the post. I thought Lees-Melou had a decent first half, and Hanley was generally pretty solid. A lot of the performances were just average at best though, and the goals we conceded were so poor. No way 5"7 Bowen should be out-jumping Gibson for the opener. Completely exasperating.

Everton at home, Watford away, Palace at home. 3 games we need a big points return from. I can't see it but if we're going to score some goals and pick up some results we need to do it now.

I have to say as well, I wasn't massively impressed by the Olympic stadium. A brilliant venue obviously and the facilities and everything are amazing, but it didn't feel like a football ground at all. I can really see why West Ham fans aren't that pleased with the move. As a place to watch football I much preferred Upton Park. Plus, I was the 2nd row from the back in the upper tier, row 72, and not only was I so far from the action but I spent the first 15 minutes of each half getting my breath back from climbing up all those stairs! I'm glad I went so I can tick it off the list, and like I say it is a fantastic stadium, but I'm not bothered about watching a football match there again.
A picture from when I was last there. Lovely stadium, just way too far away from the pitch. Definitely not a football stadium!

West Ham.jpg

Reactions: Din
Din

Din

A picture from when I was last there. Lovely stadium, just way too far away from the pitch. Definitely not a football stadium!

View attachment 1093

Yeah completely agree, as an events venue it’s probably great, but you’re just so far away from the pitch. I think if I was a West Ham fan I’d be gutted at moving out of the Boleyn for it. I had a similar view to you last night:

2992A09F-1D9A-4446-9392-50C7D1A700CA.jpeg

morty

morty

Staff member
My visit was last time we were in the Prem, the game when Zimmerman got injured, and we were talking about it afterwards, and whether or not it was a bad tackle, and I genuinely could not give an opinion, as it was too far away to see!

Reactions: Din
Status
Not open for further replies.