By using Norwichtalk.com services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

Norwich City vs Wigan Athletic (Home) Saturday 6th August.

Status
Not open for further replies.
morty

morty

Staff member
First home game of the season, and hopefully it can build a bit of enthusiasm for me!

Absolutely no idea who is fit, and who isn't, Hanley won't be available, I think Gibson is injured? So Smith has the choice of Sorenson filling in, or a yoof player, though do I remember Byram having a shot at CB last season? Though not sure if he is injured too!

Obviously the biggest questions are in midfield, and who is fit and ready to play, I suspect we might see Sara, perhaps this game might be a bit soon for Nunez.

Fenway Frank

Fenway Frank

Smith needs a good win, we all need a good win. Wigan will park the bus and try and get us on the break. We need an early goal, I’ll be keeping a sneaky eye on things while I’m at work

N

Number 9

First home game of the season, and hopefully it can build a bit of enthusiasm for me!

Absolutely no idea who is fit, and who isn't, Hanley won't be available, I think Gibson is injured? So Smith has the choice of Sorenson filling in, or a yoof player, though do I remember Byram having a shot at CB last season? Though not sure if he is injured too!

Obviously the biggest questions are in midfield, and who is fit and ready to play, I suspect we might see Sara, perhaps this game might be a bit soon for Nunez.
Enjoy your early kickoff Morty, you'll have to get in the bar pretty early am to prep on Saturday.

Fenway Frank

Fenway Frank

I’ve just realised I finish work at one so will be home for the second half, I’ll tell the wife to have a beer ready :)

morty

morty

Staff member
Sam Byram is still absent for tomorrow. Adam Idah isn’t quite ready. Ben Gibson and Gabriel Sara are available. #NCFC are awaiting paperwork on Marcelino Nunez but that shouldn’t be a problem. He should be available for tomorrow.

Smith reflects that he didn’t feel #NCFC’s front three were good enough last week, but also that the service to them wasn’t good enough. As you can imagine, the work this week has been based around that.

DS: “Sara has trained all week and is available. Marcelino is a bundle of energy and we’re just waiting on some paperwork for him, he should be available too.”

On Wigan… DS: “They done a fantastic job getting promoted. It’s their first season back in the Championship and they are riding that wave of momentum.”

DS: “We’ve got a translator in who is very helpful and comes out on the training pitch. Hernández also speaks Spanish and Pukki is very good at it too. It’s not the barrier that it once was.”

Jonathan Rowe will be missing for a number of weeks. He had a scan this week.

Training at Carrow Road this week… DS: “Some of the lads have never been to Carrow Road, so I wanted them to be familiar with the surroundings. Some of the local community came to watch the session.”

DS: “We’re still hoping for more incomings and working on some. It’s a long window until the end of August, so there may be some more ins and outs.”

DS: “We should have never lost the game (against Cardiff). That is the lowest expected goals an opposition team has ever had against me as a manager. I believe Cardiff had an XG of 0.09.”

Kieran Dowell is available. He has trained all week.

As for Isaac Hayden, “the swelling has gone off of his knee, so he’s happy with how things are progressing.”

M

Mick2888

Visiting Norfolk from Newcastle so thought would pickup a ticket for tomorrow's game vs wigan, never visited Norwich before so any advice where to go before the match for a drink etc to get the full norwich fan experience, hopefully get to see a few familiar faces, krul, hayden, Nufc, still looks a strong squad. Appreciate any advice guys.

N

Number 9

Coach & horses Thorpe Rd, Brewery Tap Thorpe Rd.
Wetherspoons have the Queen of Iceni on Riverside.

Din

Din

So looking forward to this, nothing like the first game of the season.

I’ve got a real feeling we’re gonna absolute smash Wigan, but I also feel like that’s a pretty silly thing to expect as well after last week.

Would like to see Sinani in for Sargent, obviously Gibson for Hanley, and if he’s fit enough I’d love to see Sara. I think it’ll come too soon for Nunez.

But yeah, can’t wait!

N

Number 9

Boris Munching Gladback are watching Rashica today apparently, it's where Farke is working now.

N

Number 9

Could be worse, Stoke might get a result this afternoon then we'd be bottom.
*as things stand

Numan

Numan

A half decent performance by NCFC against a poor Wigan side whose strategy seemed to be kicking NCFC players off the pitch, feigning injury when under pressure and time wasting ... at least the ref (who was awful) added on 10 mins of stoppage time ... after 30 mins of non-stop NCFC attacks (during which they should have been well in front) a defensive blunder let Wigan in open the scoring ... after that we endured 15 minutes of headless chicken chaos ... after the break it was again all NCFC who missed a hatful of chances before and after Max Aarons well deserved equaliser ... the result is disappointing but there were signs that better things may come ... the new signings looked OK, Cantwell looked engaged and up for the challenge, McLean upped his game in the 2nd half and Hernandez was lively ... however, Rashica was dreadful and Pukki looked isolated at times ... he needed some strong arm support but the ideal candidate (Jordan Hugill) remained on the bench ... his omission from the team completely baffles me ... we need to toughen up in all areas if we are to survive the kind of strong arm stuff The Championship will serve up for 46 games.

G

gerryinromania

Yes Mr Cars. I also wondered what Hugill had done wrong, even more so, when Onel came on, who would have been his main supply route. The ref and his team were a disgrace, for supposedly unbiased professionals, Think Mr Farke will be quite disappointed with his scouting report on Rashica. Pukki, just is not Pukki, he was easily outpaced by the defender late on, in a one to one, I was sure that he was free onr goal. Nunez was enthusiastic and happy, think we'll see much more of him

Din

Din

Better than last week but still not good enough to be honest. The first half an hour was pretty good, we were up for it and it looked like a matter of time before we took the lead. Then a stupid, careless mistake and just like last week Wigan get a goal with their only half decent chance of the game, blowing all the hard work we'd put in and momentum we'd built up over the first half. I don't think we ever got back in rhythm properly after that, we had a decent spell in the second half after we equalised but I didn't have that same feeling as I did in the first half, that it was a matter of time before we scored. We won't get an easier opportunity to take 3 points this season either, as based on what we saw today I'd be very surprised if Wigan weren't in a relegation battle. They kept their shape fairly well but really were there for the taking if we just stepped it up a bit. Dropping points at home to them really is criminal.

We had 22 shots in the game, only 4 of which were on target. Wigan though had 16 less shots yet only 1 less on target. We don't seem to have any real structure when we attack. Pukki is barely involved in games, we're just not getting him into the parts of the pitch where he operates best (albeit he was really unlucky with his effort that came off the bar). The end of this game we had left-footed McLean playing right back, no-one really in centre midfield as Sara seemed to be playing further forward. Sinani and Cantwell were all over the place. What exactly was the plan? I know a couple of those changes were enforced with both full-backs going off injured, but I'm just so confused as to what our tactics were to get back in the game.

There were a couple of positives to take. I thought Nunez looked really tidy, particularly in the half an hour before we went behind. Aarons was superb as well, and Cantwell looks genuinely engaged and is slowly starting to show flashes of the player we know he can be. Hernandez also undoubtedly livened things up when he came on, though I don't think he really has the quality we need when he gets in the final third. Like I said as well generally the way we started the game was very positive, but I just want to see so, so much more from this team. Rashica had some decent moments in the first half but was still so underwhelming. Practically every ball he put into the box in the second half was either blocked or not good enough to beat the first man. Sargent is a complete donkey too, I thought at Championship level he could really shine but I don't think it matters what division you play in, you're not gonna be a success if you have the first touch of a baby Elephant. I dunno, I just look at our team with players like Hernandez and Sargent coming off the bench and I do worry. I know we have the likes of Idah, Dowell, Sara and Hayden to come in, Ramsey as well now too, but I just feel really uninspired by us.

Fingers crossed Giannoulis is ok but that really didn't look good, think the poor guy may be out for a while. Obviously if that is the case we'll need another left back. I think we could definitely use another centre back too to play alongside Omobamidele. Hanley seemingly can't play on the left hand side and Gibson has hardly covered himself in glory in the last year or so.

I may as well save this sentence and copy and paste it in every week; Championship referees really are shocking. The guy today just had no control on the game at all. The penalty for the challenge on Aarons is a tricky one. I actually think if I was a Wigan fan and that was given against my team I would've been really annoyed, as their player does technically get a solid piece of the ball first. But, anywhere else on the pitch that is a foul and a red card for dangerous play. I actually thought we had more of a case for a penalty a minute later, when Onel pulled the ball back for Sargent who was blatantly pushed in the back as he went to take the shot, but the ref, looking right at it, did nothing.

I mean, a big disclaimer for everything I've just said is that we are only 2 games in. Under Farke we never started particularly well yet we all know how those seasons ended up. I'm just a bit annoyed because I can't visibly see what Deano is trying to do, and both our opening games have felt like we've come up against very beatable teams, particularly today, and come away without a result. Hull away before Huddersfield and Millwall at home are our next 3 games. We've got a really nice start to the season to be honest and we need to start taking advantage of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.