By using Norwichtalk.com services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

Norwich City vs Wolves (away) Sunday 23rd February.

Status
Not open for further replies.
morty

morty

Staff member
Not going to this, so will be radio Norfolk for me!

Tough, tough game. And going places like this and trying to just grind out a point really isn't enough now.

Time to see Emi back in the team methinks....

N

Number 9

Who would you drop for EMI?
Keeper and back four will obviously remain, give us your top six.

morty

morty

Staff member
Who would you drop for EMI?
Keeper and back four will obviously remain, give us your top six.
I would like to see Emi at a number 10 position, but not sure he scores enough goals. Possibly Duda? His initial impact seems to have tailed off a little. Not so long ago I would have maybe said drop Cantwell, but he is in fine form in recent matches!

G

GJP

We play our best football with Vrancic and Buendia on the pitch. Those two also have the best understanding with Pukki.

N

Number 9

Rupp and Duda probably not played many games prior to coming here so blowing a bit now I should think. The initial burst of adrenaline has probably worn off and they're finding the Premier League quite fast paced I would imagine.
I'm happy with Emi starting, I'd probably lose Rupp.
Can you really see Farke making changes though, he doesn't tend to unless he really has to.
Byram is out you assume but I'll bet the rest of the starting team from last game will be there again.

N

Number 9

It does wind me up sometimes when he doesn't really appear bothered by us getting relegated.
Should we stay in the Premier League for another season then the financial implications for our club are enormous.
I personally don't think that the system would have to be tweaked much for those losses to be converted to draws and wins, but he's set on Plan A so much that it has become more important than the future of the club.

morty

morty

Staff member
Ah, had forgotten about Byram, not actually heard anything re his hamstring.

I should imagine that Farke is very bothered about us possibly being relegated! I know we have a longer term plan but I don't think deliberately going down is part of it!

N

Number 9

Ah, had forgotten about Byram, not actually heard anything re his hamstring.

I should imagine that Farke is very bothered about us possibly being relegated! I know we have a longer term plan but I don't think deliberately going down is part of it!

We may find that it's a miraculous recovery and Jamal is elbowed out again.

We have different ways of knowing how Farke feels about relegation.

* What he says
He doesn't speak in negative way concerning relegation, often indicating that he has been expecting it all season.

* What he does
Farke, apart from a couple of notable exceptions, has played to his Plan A regardless of League position or opposition. His game management hasn't shown any urgency regarding accruing points to avoid the drop, rather, it's been simply to reinforce Plan A.

In his defence, he may well say that long term goals matter more to him etc but the impression I personally get is that he's not bothered.

Fenway Frank

Fenway Frank

I really can’t understand how someone can say that a premier league manager isn’t bothered about relegation. He’s a professional sportsman with a long future in front of him if he’s successful.

N

Number 9

I really can’t understand how someone can say that a premier league manager isn’t bothered about relegation. He’s a professional sportsman with a long future in front of him if he’s successful.
Can you remember him talking about relegation?
He has mentioned it many times.
When you hear him, listen to how he talks about it, make your own mind up.

N

Number 9

Nah, not buying that.

It is his job to be positive, and instil posativity and hope in the players. What if Plan A was the only plan we have?

Is this about subs again? :D
He's moved away from Plan A a couple of times that I've noticed, against Man City and Everton.
It is possible, he chooses not to most of the time.

Fenway Frank

Fenway Frank

Can you remember him talking about relegation?
He has mentioned it many times.
When you hear him, listen to how he talks about it, make your own mind up.
I have, what he says to the media and what he and his staff actually thinks can be very different. He’s just managing expectations, it doesn’t mean he doesn’t care. Do you really think he would prefer to have a relegation on his cv rather than” kept Norwich in the premier league “ ?

N

Number 9

I have, what he says to the media and what he and his staff actually thinks can be very different. He’s just managing expectations, it doesn’t mean he doesn’t care. Do you really think he would prefer to have a relegation on his cv rather than” kept Norwich in the premier league “ ?

I mentioned a few posts ago that his comments in the media are actually backed up and reinforced by his team selection and game management.

Many teams change their approach depending on the opposition they are to face. That's big teams and small teams, they all do it, to get the best possible result from a game.

We have done that a couple of times, v Man City and v Everton, where our style was altered and we actually did ok.

Those two examples show it can be done to good effect, Farke chooses not to do it. He overwhelmingly remains in his comfort zone irrespective of the results or League position.

This alone gives the impression that he values proving his system over League position / relegation.

morty

morty

Staff member
Do you honestly believe that if Farke had worked out a formula for winning more games, that his own stubbornness / pettiness would have stopped him using it?

Really?

:D

N

Number 9

Do you honestly believe that if Farke had worked out a formula for winning more games, that his own stubbornness / pettiness would have stopped him using it?

Really?

:D

The two games where the system was obviously changed turned out to be positive results for us.

The other games didn't.

I don't know what Farke thinks, I just see him persisting with his Plan which hasn't proved successful so far in the Premier League. I find it difficult to grasp the logic.

I like the bloke, when I've had conversation with him, he's a perfect gentleman.

Imagine the financial impact on our club should we have stayed up for another season, I personally believe that would have been worth tweaking our approach to games.
I also understand that many supporters won't countenance a word spoken against him.

morty

morty

Staff member
This isn't something about not criticising him.

This is about the fact (s) that we had a terrible start due to injuries at CB, we could have been 10 points ahead of where we are now, who knows?
And the fact that we maybe aren't just quite good enough to consistently win games at this level.

Honestly the notion that Farke could win more games if he really wanted to, but chooses not to, is preposterous.

N

Number 9

This isn't something about not criticising him.

This is about the fact (s) that we had a terrible start due to injuries at CB, we could have been 10 points ahead of where we are now, who knows?
And the fact that we maybe aren't just quite good enough to consistently win games at this level.

Honestly the notion that Farke could win more games if he really wanted to, but chooses not to, is preposterous.
I'm not sure he purposely does that, but if you were to ask him which he values more - performance or results? His heart would want to see a performance from his players with passing etc.

You'll no doubt say very similar Morty, suggest a black and white situation-

Win a game like Pulis or lose narrowly like Brazil?
You would want to be entertained and see good football.

N

Number 9

Nope.

The concept that as long as we play pretty football, winning doesn't really matter, is plain daft.
There are shades of dark and light though.
Man U fans whingeing when Jose parked the bus for instance. Yet he seems to get results.

Status
Not open for further replies.