By using Norwichtalk.com services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

Not the manager's fault:

Nigellee33

Nigellee33

First off, I love Norwich City FC. This is my first post having watched the Luton game last night. Obviously, I was very frustrated. Norwich look a shadow of the team when Farke was here. I feel you cannot put the blame on Dean Smith. He can only manage what he has, which is not much. For me, Sinani, Nunez, Sara, Krul, Cantwell all have to go. Not good enough. What happened to Cantwell, BTW? Krul has never impressed me because he never comes off his line to claim the ball during corners, free kicks, etc. He does not command his area. Nunez makes too many mistakas. Sinani should never be in the team. I was critical of Sargent last season, but he is fast becoming the best player in the team. His work rate is exceptional. He will be gone soon. Norwich are not a buying club, so we have to produce players via the academy. Therefore, I dont see us rising to premier status in the near future. If we do, we will come down again. My one criticism of Smith is, he doesn't look like he is enjoying being at Norwich. He strikes me as someone doing the job until something better comes along. I hope not. Anyway, Pukki looks disinterested. Arons has become predictable. We look washed up as a team. However, we cannot keep blaming the manager. These players get paid a lot of money each week. Some of them need to step up their work rate. When you lose the ball, bloody run and get it back. Sargent is a great example of how it should be done. Anyway, my opinion.

morty

morty

Staff member
I agree with the fact that not all of this should be blamed on Smith, and agree with pretty much all of your points above.

You could certainly draw parallels with our current political situation, in so much that sure, get rid of Dean Smith, but what happens next? Will changing the person in charge suddenly fix everything?

I actually felt a bit sorry for Dean last night, losing Dowell minutes before kick off and being forced into playing Sinani, who is a bit shite just now, and having to shuffle the formation, wasn't ideal. I think the red card was a yellow at best, and losing Sargent to injury really was just the icing on the cake. Not excuses, as I don't think we have been playing well, but it seems when you're down, you're down. The returns of Giannoulis and Hayden should have lifted us, instead we have lost big Andy for a month, and Sargent limps off.

Gunvald Larsson

Gunvald Larsson

I read somewhere that NCFC are being 'over-coached'. I tend to agree with that. Any spark of individuality seems to be missing in favour of 'the system' ... whatever that 'system' is 'cos I don't see one. To me, the team selections do seem odd at times .... to have no back up striker on the bench is simply stupid. Hugill may not be everyone's cup of tea but at least he is a physical threat and can finish, something that the GOAT was woeful at last night. As I said on another post, we are heading down the table if this continues but I do not know what they have to do to sort it.

Nigellee33

Nigellee33

I agree with the fact that not all of this should be blamed on Smith, and agree with pretty much all of your points above.

You could certainly draw parallels with our current political situation, in so much that sure, get rid of Dean Smith, but what happens next? Will changing the person in charge suddenly fix everything?

I actually felt a bit sorry for Dean last night, losing Dowell minutes before kick off and being forced into playing Sinani, who is a bit shite just now, and having to shuffle the formation, wasn't ideal. I think the red card was a yellow at best, and losing Sargent to injury really was just the icing on the cake. Not excuses, as I don't think we have been playing well, but it seems when you're down, you're down. The returns of Giannoulis and Hayden should have lifted us, instead we have lost big Andy for a month, and Sargent limps off.
Yes. I am with you on that. I believe Daniel Farke had a similar season with injuries and was given the same reception by the fans when we were going through a period of frustrating results. A new manager will not solve the issue. We have to manage the guys we have. I like the fact that Dean Smith will change the team if players are not up to the challenge. I don't expect us to get anything out of the Sheffield United and Barnsley games. So, I'm hoping we can kick on from there with the least amount of damage caused. Of course, I am always hopeful. Lol.

morty

morty

Staff member
Yes. I am with you on that. I believe Daniel Farke had a similar season with injuries and was given the same reception by the fans when we were going through a period of frustrating results. A new manager will not solve the issue. We have to manage the guys we have. I like the fact that Dean Smith will change the team if players are not up to the challenge. I don't expect us to get anything out of the Sheffield United and Barnsley games. So, I'm hoping we can kick on from there with the least amount of damage caused. Of course, I am always hopeful. Lol.
The biggest difference between Farke and Smith is that Farke basically had a Championship cheat code, in Emi Buendia!

Yeah two tough games coming up, and hard to see that we'll get much from either. But you never know. It's the hope that kills you!

morty

morty

Staff member
I read somewhere that NCFC are being 'over-coached'. I tend to agree with that. Any spark of individuality seems to be missing in favour of 'the system' ... whatever that 'system' is 'cos I don't see one. To me, the team selections do seem odd at times .... to have no back up striker on the bench is simply stupid. Hugill may not be everyone's cup of tea but at least he is a physical threat and can finish, something that the GOAT was woeful at last night. As I said on another post, we are heading down the table if this continues but I do not know what they have to do to sort it.
Hugill was in the maternity suite with his wife last night!

Gunvald Larsson

Gunvald Larsson

Aston Villa have sacked their manager Steven Gerrard ... I just read an article about this in which it was stated that ''Gerrard has been undermined by the most basic football currency of all ... results and performances'' ... isn't that why most football managers are sacked? what a strange thing to say ... Gerrard took over from Dean Smith, who was sacked with Villa placed 16th in the Premier League and 2 points off the relegation zone ... Gerrard has been sacked with Villa placed in 17th position in the Premier League and level on points with Wolverhampton Wanderers who are in the relegation zone ... sounds as if Gerrard was mostly undermined by his lack of ability as a Premier League manager.

morty

morty

Staff member
Well you say that, but some of our fans want Dean sacked because they feel "disconnected" and don't like our style of play...

Gunvald Larsson

Gunvald Larsson

Well you say that, but some of our fans want Dean sacked because they feel "disconnected" and don't like our style of play...
I know. I think recent performances have been poor but I personally don't feel 'disconnected'. I have been a fan since 1970 and will support them no matter how crap they are. I hope Smith can improve things, but if he can't I don't know what will happen. I just hope we don't end up in L1 again.