By using Norwichtalk.com services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

PLEASE READ: Downtime Today

Status
Not open for further replies.
admin

admin

Administrator
Staff member
It appears that many users (including myself) have been suffering downtime today, with the problem appearing to exist for many desktop/laptop users, whilst the mobile site works fine.

After several long ranty emails to my hosting provider (no replies),it turns out that this wasn't an issue with our servers (which are 'up' for most of the planet),but connectivity issues with some upstream infrastructure. The problem will still exist right now for many users, I've downloaded a chrome add-on which makes the site work for me. 

The problem appears to be geographical with some/many ISPs (internet service providers),and has affected numerous major sites today including eBay, the UK and North East USA most affected. Here is a sexy heat map which shows where in the world eBay have been having issues today:

ebay outage map.JPG

This pretty much means that it wasn't an issue with the servers (and I'm on far from the cheapest hosting option!),but a routing issue of some sort, maybe Putin has switched off the internet. 

Apologies for any inconvenience. Trust me, nobody is as pissed off as me. Especially as I'd dropped a club employee a line late last night offering my email address as a contact should there ever been any problems they need to discuss (e.g. @Browno posting a photo of a city kit the day before launch. Again.  :p )

If anybody wishes to know how I got around this problem to access the site, then I did so by installing the awesome free Chrome browser application ZenMate - I don't really understand what it does, but it got me on.

Cheers,

Admin. 

Last edited by a moderator:
splutcho

splutcho

I downloaded ZenMate. I'm hoping the issue fixes itself soon though. Will knock new recruit numbers for sure.

Chris Brown

Chris Brown

Apologies for any inconvenience. Trust me, nobody is as pissed off as me. Especially as I'd dropped a club employee a line late last night offering my email address as a contact should there ever been any problems they need to discuss (e.g. @Browno posting a photo of a city kit the day before launch. Again.  :p )
:ph34r:  

admin

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Reply from hosting provider.... 

aaaa.JPG

(click to open up). 

splutcho

splutcho

Surprised it's taking this long. Let's hope this isn't a regular occurrence. Couldn't have come at a much worse time for the site.

BarclayBoy88

BarclayBoy88

Now back at home it's a little temperamental but sure it'll be all up and running soon.  

admin

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Surprised it's taking this long. Let's hope this isn't a regular occurrence. Couldn't have come at a much worse time for the site.
This is my concern also, things like this happen - but it doesn't bode well to have happened 12 days after launch. If this was the first outage after three months then I'd probably be a lot calmer right now.

I'm going to be communicating with some other forum owners on invision hosting to try and determine whether this is commonplace or an isolated incident. 

admin

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Just managed to get onto the site using Firefox (with no app installed),looks as if the issue is fixed or somewhere near fixed. 

Glad you said "much", because It could have happened on Derby day  :eek:

admin

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Some clever web guys seem to think that it is an issue that some ISPs are experiencing to do with 'transit routes' (whatever those are),and BT have acknowledged the issue (6 hours after the issue started) - below image is from BT business website:

aaaaavvvvv.JPG

So in this instance I guess I have to acknowledge that it was probably beyond Invision's control and just one of those things.

admin

admin

Administrator
Staff member
I have had several people inform me that they couldn't access earlier but now can, so I hope that this issue is now resolved for most members. 

hogesar

hogesar

Working in IT (software, mobile and web development and support) - I noticed this and i've seen Transit Routes as being claimed responsible for it. But i've not seen any significant proof that that is the case.

However, I would say it has little if anything to do with Invision.

admin

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Working in IT (software, mobile and web development and support) - I noticed this and i've seen Transit Routes as being claimed responsible for it. But i've not seen any significant proof that that is the case.

However, I would say it has little if anything to do with Invision.
Thanks Hogesar, several knowledgeable people have said the same (Invision unlikely to be at fault),so I'll just take this one on the chin and move on. 

admin

admin

Administrator
Staff member
First time I have been able to access the site all day.
Good to hear that the issue has gone for you Tilly, hoping this has been fixed for all, has been a very frustrating day for me - it looks as if this is an isolated incident and just one of those things. 

admin

admin

Administrator
Staff member
There is a somewhat complicated explanation on Reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/sysadmin/comments/2dcol3/the_internet_hit_512k_bgp_routes_today_causing/

Which seems to conclude the following: Someone broked da interwebs. 

Status
Not open for further replies.