By using Norwichtalk.com services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

Points required for promotion

dj161

dj161

generally looking at the high eighties
  1. Newcastle 102
  2. West Brom 91
  3. Forest 79
  1. QPR 88
  2. Norwich 84
  3. Swansea 80
  1. Reading 89
  2. Southampton 88
  3. West Ham 86
  1. Cardiff 87
  2. Hull 79
  3. Watford 77
  1. Leicester 102
  2. Burnley 93
  3. Derby 85
  1. Bournemouth 90
  2. Watford 89
  3. Norwich 86
  1. Burnley 93
  2. Middlesboro 89
  3. Brighton 89
  1. Newcastle 94
  2. Brighton 93
  3. Reading 85
  1. Wolves 99
  2. Cardiff 90
  3. Fulham 88
so average points to win the league since 2010 is 93.7
average for second place is 88.4
average for third place is 83.8

so while it says that since 2010 the team in second had achieved 88 points on average you only need 84 points on average to finish above third, obviously thats not an exact science and you can get freak seasons such as Brighton in 2016 where they got 89 points and had to settle for the playoffs and still didn't go up yet in three of those nine seasons 89 points would win you the league

but looking at the table now Sheff Utd in third on 64 points can get to 96, so I'd think you're looking at least needing 86 points for the top two

incidentally the team finishing 4th bottom the last nine seasons have averaged 48.1 points, Ipswich can get 57 if they win all 12 of their remaining games, they've won 3 out of 34 so far this season

Last edited:
Fenway Frank

Fenway Frank

We should be aiming for 90 points, that should do it, welcome onboard the good ship Norwichtalk Canary Joe

N

Number 9

It's not an exact science, we could be worrying about getting 3 points today but bottom line is, Leeds gotta play sheff Utd soon, they can't both win

N

Number 9

So by this game will we be cheering on Leeds or not?
Ipswich will be gone by then obv.

Din

Din

At the moment we're averaging 1.97 points per game, so essentially 2 ppg. If we do that between now and then end of the season, which is more than achievable considering the games we have left, then we'll finish on 90 points, so we'd be extremely unlucky to miss out with that.

As for Ipswich playing Leeds and Sheff Utd last 2 games of the season, they'll be long down by then, so hopefully they can have a mini-revival and win both games. In a way it would be actually be pretty hilarious if they do get results in those games, and we manage to clinch the autos by a point or two. It'd be like Lambert doing us one last favour :D hopefully it won't come to that anyway, and I doubt it will.

N

Number 9

March fixtures top 3

Mon 4th,
Wednesday v United

Fri 8th
City v Swansea

Sat 9th
SheffUtd v Rotherham
Bristol City v Leeds

Tues 12th
Sheff Utd v Brentford
Reading v Leeds

Weds 13th
City v Hull

Sat 16th
Leeds v Sheff Utd
Rotherham v City

Sat 30th
Leeds v Millwall
Sheff Utd v Bristol City
Boro v City

N

Number 9

I'm no expert, but I think I'd rather have our games.

Canaryboy

Canaryboy

So by this game will we be cheering on Leeds or not?
Ipswich will be gone by then obv.

View attachment 508

Ipswich will be gone and if Lambert is still manager then there is no way he'll be giving Ipswich any chance of winning that game.

And it will be impossible to prove that he threw it because his defense will be.... "does it look like I could win that game if I tried?".