By using Norwichtalk.com services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

VAR and Added Time Season 2023/2024

M

ManofNorfolk1805

Brentford v Spurs - Brentford penalty incident - played on for 2 1/2 minutes before VAR referral and decision. a) If Spurs had scored in that 2 1/2 minutes, would it have counted? and b) Did that 2 1/2 minutes get included in the time added on at the end of the half, because it did not count?
I lead a very strange life, probing into the corners of existence no-one else knew were there. PS It looks as if the new added time rules have been created to give home teams extended chances to score.

Gunvald Larsson

Gunvald Larsson

Get rid of VAR and return the offside and handball rules to how they had been for decades. I like the new added time rules, especially as in the EFL they don't have the ridiculous VAR to deal with.

M

ManofNorfolk1805

Gunvald, I agree with you wholeheartedly on added time, but that does not answer the question. I would prefer a fully transparent system where the fans can see the clock stopped, as in rugby league. My view on handball is that a free kick / penalty should be given, if the player handling the ball gains an advantage by doing so. In relation to offside, i go with Brian Clough (expletives deleted) - "If you are not interfering with play, what are you doing on the pitch?" My overall view of VAR was that it was set up to favour the "big clubs" and I have seen nothing yet to change my mind.
And last night's Wolves penalty (which wasn't) supports that view. On a broader point, for a long time, goalkeepers have got away with clattering attackers nowhere near the ball without being penalised. Perhaps it is time for VAR to look at these incidents more even-handedly.

Last edited: