By using Norwichtalk.com services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

What Changes, if anything?

• Thread starter ManofNorfolk1805
  • Start date
M

ManofNorfolk1805

We all know that with his wife as an executive director at the club, Stuart Webber is unsackable, but how many more times can he get major decisions wrong? Recrutment - an alarming tendency to sign players who are either unfit or injury prone, Matt Jarvis, Sam Byram and now Isaac Hayden? I quote "I want Norwich to be a top 26 club" - Stuart Webber. Daniel Farke delivered on that, but he sacked him. Apparently, he hired Dean Smith on the strength of a PowerPoint presentation? There seems to be a lack of realisation that the club is in the Championship, a physical league, and fans want winning football , not dilettante, statistics-based failures.Finally, are Norwich City the only club in the top two tiers where an American billionaire takes a stake and gets a seat on the board without actually putting any money into the club? Non-League Wrexham got a better deal than we did.

N

Number 9

We all know that with his wife as an executive director at the club, Stuart Webber is unsackable, but how many more times can he get major decisions wrong? Recrutment - an alarming tendency to sign players who are either unfit or injury prone, Matt Jarvis, Sam Byram and now Isaac Hayden? I quote "I want Norwich to be a top 26 club" - Stuart Webber. Daniel Farke delivered on that, but he sacked him. Apparently, he hired Dean Smith on the strength of a PowerPoint presentation? There seems to be a lack of realisation that the club is in the Championship, a physical league, and fans want winning football , not dilettante, statistics-based failures.Finally, are Norwich City the only club in the top two tiers where an American billionaire takes a stake and gets a seat on the board without actually putting any money into the club? Non-League Wrexham got a better deal than we did.
More questions than answers at the moment unfortunately.
Be interesting to see the reaction next few days after Wagner is announced.

Gunvald Larsson

Gunvald Larsson

To be honest we have to admit that the names being initially promoted (Wilder, Parker, Bruce, Martin) were all pretty ropey. We will never get anyone like an Julen Lopetegui or Unai Emery (maybe Dick Emery) to come here so Wagner is probably the best 'fit' we were ever likely to get. The moment is not right IMHO for a gamble on an 'untried' or 'inexperienced' coach to turn the ship around. At least Wagner has some experience and prefers his teams to be dynamic. Should be interesting however it turns out.

M

ManofNorfolk1805

To be honest we have to admit that the names being initially promoted (Wilder, Parker, Bruce, Martin) were all pretty ropey. We will never get anyone like an Julen Lopetegui or Unai Emery (maybe Dick Emery) to come here so Wagner is probably the best 'fit' we were ever likely to get. The moment is not right IMHO for a gamble on an 'untried' or 'inexperienced' coach to turn the ship around. At least Wagner has some experience and prefers his teams to be dynamic. Should be interesting however it turns out.
Sean Dyche would have provided the necessary hard kicks up the backsides needed for me, but this is a sensible response to the short term issue, However, a) how much money will be available in the transfer window for 1) a big physical target man up front and 2) a commanding centre half who believes that his main duty is to get the ball out of our end and into the opponents's half of the field and b) how much control will the incoming coach have over who the club buys, if anyone? If recruitment stays under Webber's control, the club are in real trouble. We paid an reputed £12 million for Josh Sargent, picked by USA as good enough to go the World Cup as a striker and we play him in midfield?I hope the definition of the word "dynamic" means less than 6 passes to cross the halfway line, a default option of passing forwards, not backwards, and a mindset which says that any free kick ten yards either side of the halfway line automatically goes forward into the opponent's penalty box and not back to our goalkeeper. We can but hope.

Gunvald Larsson

Gunvald Larsson

''I hope the definition of the word "dynamic" means less than 6 passes to cross the halfway line, a default option of passing forwards, not backwards, and a mindset which says that any free kick ten yards either side of the halfway line automatically goes forward into the opponent's penalty box and not back to our goalkeeper. We can but hope.''

That's exactly what I mean. Huddersfield were a team that was always on the front foot with passes going forwards rather than backwards or sideways. They also had a mean defence, which is something we certainly need. They pressed hard and were good at getting the ball back, things we have been woeful at this season. I want to see Sarge (a player I have championed since last season) played to his strengths and not wasted out of position. Wagner may not be everyone's cup of char, but IMHO he will be a good 'fit' for us. Fingers crossed!

M

ManofNorfolk1805

Gunvald, thank you for confirming that I am not the only voice crying in the wilderness of mid-table Championship mediocrity. There is however a major issue with this . In the never-to-be-forgotten words of one of our previous managers, Glen Roeder - "Supporters know nothing about the game."

OldRobert

OldRobert

Gunvald, thank you for confirming that I am not the only voice crying in the wilderness of mid-table Championship mediocrity. There is however a major issue with this . In the never-to-be-forgotten words of one of our previous managers, Glen Roeder - "Supporters know nothing about the game."
I will never accept that opinion. I haven't watched football for just short of 60 years and learnt damn all.

M

ManofNorfolk1805

Old Robert, I do not think that NCFC supporters accepted it either. Roeder didn't last too long after that.

M

ManofNorfolk1805

Sometimes just something different is all that is needed. As fans I don't think we ever really bought into what Dean Smith was trying to do, and I'm not sure the players really did either.
Morty, do you actually KNOW what he was trying to do? If so, you are in a very small minority. It always looked like going through the motions.

morty

morty

Staff member
Morty, do you actually KNOW what he was trying to do? If so, you are in a very small minority. It always looked like going through the motions.
Yes, I do. It was patently obvious that Farkeball did not work in the Premier league, so they were looking to try and develop a more mature, pragmatic style that could give us a greater chance of remaining in the league.

Obviously it didn't work, for many other reasons, but its clear what their intention was.

N

Number 9

Yes, I do. It was patently obvious that Farkeball did not work in the Premier league, so they were looking to try and develop a more mature, pragmatic style that could give us a greater chance of remaining in the league.

Obviously it didn't work, for many other reasons, but its clear what their intention was.
The 'give the players info to sort it out for themselves' worried me.
It just seemed like there wasn't a plan, it looked chaotic on the pitch.
The past two games, we can question the naivety of the tactics but at least you could see what they were all trying to do.

Fenway Frank

Fenway Frank

A source of mine has told me today that the players never really knew what Smith wanted them to do ( no surprise there ) I’ve also heard that some of our senior/ longer serving players aren’t too impressed with some of our newer recruits as they’re not good enough

M

ManofNorfolk1805

Morty, a reply worthy of a member of the sports staff at the EDP, deep in the club's pocket. It is one of the classic symptoms of madness, they tell us, continuing to do the same thing over and over again and expecting a diofferent result. The fact that Farkeball did not work in the Premier League should not have mattered, as Webber had publicly set the objective of being a top 26 club. Not top 16, but top 26.

morty

morty

Staff member
Morty, a reply worthy of a member of the sports staff at the EDP, deep in the club's pocket. It is one of the classic symptoms of madness, they tell us, continuing to do the same thing over and over again and expecting a diofferent result. The fact that Farkeball did not work in the Premier League should not have mattered, as Webber had publicly set the objective of being a top 26 club. Not top 16, but top 26.
Give over :D