By using Norwichtalk.com services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

Cycle advice.

morty

morty

Staff member
Anyone help?

Looking to buy a racing bike for leisure use. Already have a decent mountain bike with hybrid tyres but looking to start going further distances.

Probably willing to spend 6 or 700 quid, looking at the Boardmans in Halfords, and GT and Cannondale in Paul's cycles in Dereham.

Been a few years since I have owned a road bike and it has changed a lot in recent years, any info or recommendations would be appreciated!

eatonparkboy

eatonparkboy

The Boardman is reckoned to be the best value all round at just under £500. As long as you aren't thinking of a triathlon!

morty

morty

Staff member
Cheers for that, though have to admit am reading a lot of reviews on the Boardman bikes, and some of them aren't too good.

I can see me deciding this could be a long process lol.

There is a british built brand called forme, they opened a shop opposite KFC down the bottom of Prince of Wales road last year, and I always thought they were a bit overpriced, but they review very well. Most brands seem to be obsessed with creating a sub £1000 carbon fibre framed bike to fit in with cycle to work schemes, but it means they skimp a bit on cranks, gears etc.

eatonparkboy

eatonparkboy

Depending on what you intend to use the bike for mainly, modern bikes do have different set ups and the Sportive set up is now very popular as you are in a more relaxed position. Some reviewers are raving about Decathon's new range as they are using lightweight frames, carbon forks and brakes and chainsets usually on far more expensive bikes and are well under £500.

(But is this a French trick to get us riding inferior bikes and stop producing Tour de France winners)

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Fenway Frank

Fenway Frank

I got my bike from Pauls cycles in Dereham ( GT series 3 ) , found them to be quite helpful. Now is a decent time to buy as there should be plenty of end of season offers about, you should get something nice for 6-700 quid. As Eaton has said good luck, let us know what you finish up with.

Last edited by a moderator:
morty

morty

Staff member
I got my bike from Pauls cycles in Dereham ( GT series 3 ) , found them to be quite helpful. Now is a decent time to buy as there should be plenty of end of season offers about, you should get something nice for 6-700 quid. As Eaton has said good luck, let us know what you finish up with.
Cheers! Yeah my mountain bike is a GT, and always been happy with that, and have used Paul's cycles before and had the same experience, I think my best bet is dropping in there and having a browse / word.