By using Norwichtalk.com services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

Norwich City vs Millwall (away) Saturday 26th August.

Status
Not open for further replies.
splutcho

splutcho

We'd have to be Non League before I missed Ryan Bennett. Not only the worst defender, but most classless tit I can remember playing for the club. Was an absolute embarrassment. 

hogesar

hogesar

We'd have to be Non League before I missed Ryan Bennett. Not only the worst defender, but most classless tit I can remember playing for the club. Was an absolute embarrassment. 
Even harsher than I'd have gone for.....I like it

G

GJP

The pressing game might take time and I actually think people would have patience for that IF the defence had shown improvement. But once again they failed at the basics. 

He's right about the midfield though. It was too lightweight and shows a bit of naivety from Farke about what this league is about.

Fenway Frank

Fenway Frank

Interesting article that Frank, nice one.
puts a little bit of perspective on things, let's hope it comes good sooner rather than later though, still lots of work to do

morty

morty

Staff member
puts a little bit of perspective on things, let's hope it comes good sooner rather than later though, still lots of work to do
Aye we all hope it does. Clearly though some fans don't quite have the patience they promised they would have.

Dubai Mark

Dubai Mark

Agree with that Morty, I have surprised myself by being so impatient, and thats because our defending was just so terrible on Saturday, but I do tend to agree with the article and will try to be more patient.....thing is like all of us, I love my fotball club and feel genuinley hurt and embarrassed after such displays! 

hogesar

hogesar

Yeah there's patience for the odd youngster making a mistake, a few naive passes and not getting the wins we expect then theres conceding 4 goals to bloody Millwall. I can understand why fans patience would wear thin earlier than expected with results like that.

Din

Din

In all honesty if people think that if we're doing poor after 10 games that he will be sacked then they're wrong. If people think if after the half-way point of the season we're doing poor that Farke will be sacked then they're wrong (unless we're doing disastrously, like bottom 6). In my opinion, unless we finish in the bottom 8, Farke will not be sacked this season. 

In my opinion, Webber and perhaps the board will see anything above 10th as a decent season. A solid base to build off of going into the a 2nd season where Webber and Farke can bring more of 'their own' players into the side. As it stands there are still quite a few players here that I imagine Farke and Webber would sooner replace, but know that perhaps too much change in one season could potentially lead to an implosion. The likes of Jerome, Tettey, Wildschut, Martin, McGovern, and perhaps even Murphy, are not players that Farke and Webber would ideally have in this team by any means. 3 of those though are 3 of our most experienced players, so they're choosing to keep them. I imagine this time next season, say we've just finished 10th in the Championship, we'll look to bring in players to replace all of those. It's at that point we'll look to really kick on. That's not to say of course that won't be an aim this season. Certainly Farke as manager will be targeting a play-off place. We finished 8th last season and since then we've shipped out some of the deadwood and Farke and Webber have replaced them with players they targeted, so they will know at least that this squad is capable of finishing top 6. However, from Farke and certainly Webber's point of view, it won't be the end of the world if we don't achieve that.

The fact that we were happy enough to sell Howson to Boro, a 'promotion rival', suggests that to me. I know obviously Howson wanted to go but there were other teams interested, including Premier League Burnley. I think most fans would agree that if we wanted to be competitive in this league it'd be preferable to take a couple of million less and make sure he's not helping out a side we're competing with. When Farke and Webber plea for patience, I think they're asking us to be patient for a lot longer than fans think. I don't think they mean 5 or 6 games, I think they potentially mean 5 or 6 months. 

At the same time though, my personal opinion is that we will come good this season, and will finish in and around were we finished last season. Question is whether we come good quick enough to finish higher than last year. Being brutally honest I think people writing off Farke already and calling for his head, are morons. The vast majority of Norwich fans wanted a big squad overhaul, and a new, clearer style of football. That's exactly what we've got, and yet some people (not talking about anyone on here by the way, mainly referring to people on the other forum and who called canary call after the Millwall game) are already saying that this experiment has failed. Get a grip. We were the highest scorers in the division last season, and have some of the best players in the league in our squad. On that alone we're not going to go down, so stop panicking. As it stands Ipswich and Cardiff are the top 2, do those same people who think we're going down under Farke think Ipswich and Cardiff will be going up as well? Of course not. The league is going to look very different in 40 games time.

I was at Villa, and the first half of that game was dire. I wasn't at Millwall Saturday, but it sounded even worse. It's undoubtedly embarrassing losing 4-0 to Millwall, the fact that we're in transition doesn't excuse that. But in football you've always got to be looking at the bigger picture. Huddersfield lost 4-0 to a Bristol City side who were 1 game away from relegation last season. Farke now has 2 weeks to get his squad's heads back together after that loss, and then we have 2 very winnable home games. We win both those home games and play well, people forget about Millwall and are suddenly optimistic again. It's the way football works. Even if we lose those 2 home games, if we then go away to someone and win then fans are optimistic again. 

Our defence at the moment is poor. Martin does get scapegoated, but there is no smoke without fire. Against Villa and Sunderland he was the worst player on the pitch. I do think the German lads will both get better, plus we have Klose to come back. Like with the manager, it frustrates me that people are writing them off already. Vrancic clearly has ability, again it's just a case of adapting, same with Steipermann. Personally I don't think this squad will properly get any consistency going until around the 15 game mark. If at that point we're still conceding lots of goals and losing games then I will start to be properly worried, and consider whether Farke is actually the right man for the job. Until that point I am more than prepared to be patient, and won't be writing anyone off. If you'd have offered me a highly rated, young, foreign manager, and a complete squad overhaul at the backend of last season I'd have bitten your hand off for it, and said on this forum many times it was something I would love. With that in mind I am more than prepared to give this time, and I think anyone who wanted the same should do as well. I don't mind people complaining after defeats, I do exactly the same. I'd just like people not to write anyone off until a fair amount of time has passed where we can properly judge this team. 5 games into a 46 game season is not the time to be doing that. 

G

gerryinromania

That's a very good post Din, well thought out and written. Many good points, It needs to be read and pondered by many. A good read. well done.....

Reactions: Din
Din

Din

Thanks :D If I had as much motivation to write essays at uni as I do on here then I'd have a place in my uni's hall of fame aha.

Status
Not open for further replies.