By using Norwichtalk.com services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

First trip to Norwich

flashdown

flashdown

Hey everyone.  My wife and I are in the beginning stages of booking a trip out to Norwich from the United States for the first time.  Needless to say I am beyond excited.  However besides getting to see a match, I am at a loss for what else we could end up doing while there.  So any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  We are looking at being in England for 8 or 9 days and probably will be coming in around late November.

Thanks in advance! OTBC!

Gaffer

Gaffer

Can you be a bit more specific about the kind of stuff you're interested in? Norwich has plenty of historical places of interest so there's loads of sightseeing to do, loads of pubs for a traditional pint and grub, lots of more modern/international restaurants if you prefer and is within easy reach of quaint towns and villages in Norfolk, not to mention the Norfolk Broads.

Canaryboy

Canaryboy

Are you looking for suggestions for other things to do in Norwich, or for suggestions of other places to go in England during this 8 or 9 days?

I'd spend the bulk of that time in London, Norwich only needs a couple of days. Cambridge is the obvious stop between Norwich and London, can be done as a day trip, Depends if you like looking at old stuff I guess. 

Americans tend to like to go and visit Oxford too, the other famous University city. That can be done as a day trip from London too. 

Sheringham and Cromer are half an hour from Norwich if you want to visit a nice Norfolk seaside town and have some proper fish and chips. Depends on your typical pace of life and what you are in to I guess. Cheap trains to those places from Norwich also.

For your first visit to England I wouldn't get any grand ideas about trying to head up North, so much to see and do in London. You won't run out of things to see and do there, and most of the galleries are free entry too.

Try and squeeze in a non-league game somewhere too if the fixtures fit your itinerary, St. Albans is just north of London and Jamie Cureton is banging them in there - 7th tier of English football.

Depends what you are into and how you are getting about I suppose. Could easily get away without getting a hire car and just hitting the trains from London, but if you do hire a car at any point then there is a few national parks which suddenly enter into the equation. 

I wouldn't hire a car personally, a nightmare driving and parking in London (where you don't need a car because of the underground system),and you don't need a car to get to Norwich or anywhere else due to our decent rail network. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Canaryboy

Canaryboy

When you know which game you are going to I'm sure somebody on here will share their pre-match experience with you, take you to their usual pre-game boozer for a pint of two and walk you down to the ground? 

Canaryboy

Canaryboy

For things to do in Norwich:

• Norwich Cathedral
  • Norwich Castle Museum
  • Outdoor market (and the streets around it, e.g. the Arcade with the Colmans Mustard Shop).
  • Chapelfield shopping centre
  • Elm Hill (really old cobbled street).
  • Hit the pubs, there's loads of them. 
Problem is Norwich is a small place really, could easily see and do it all in one day. So one day for all that, and one day for your matchday experience, two days and you've done it all. 

If you like real ale then I'd recommend hitting up the original Fat Cat on West End Street which is a £6/£7 cab fare from the centre. The beer in the other Fat Cat's in the city is the same of course, but they can't replicate the ambiance and quirkiness of the first once. 

flashdown

flashdown

I have seen a couple of guides that can take you through a decent amount of Norwich in about 12 hours, so I can definitely see that its a smaller place and that is quite alright with me.  More my size of city/town.  As far as other things I like to do, historical spots and sightseeing are always up on the list and finding places that will ingrain themselves in my mind and create a fond lasting memory.  We are already planning on going to the Lotus factory, that's the only for sure so far.  Really it comes down to this being our first big trip that didn't already have an itinerary, so all options are open as to what we could do.

I love fish and chips, so I think we will venture out to the coast to grab that.  I hadn't ever thought about seeing another tier of football while there, might just have to do that.  Definitely hope to get the match day experience and maybe get taken under someone's wing and shown the ropes.

Like I said, this trip planning is in its infancy so I was hoping to get some spots that y'all as locals like to go to or take people that come visit.  Whether that is there in Norwich or in London or anywhere in England really.  Right now most options are on the table.

Fenway Frank

Fenway Frank

Can you have a tour around the Lotus factory ?

ive had American family over, we took them around the coast, into Norwich and they also caught the train for two separate day trips ( Cambridge and London) Funny thing is their favourite thing we did was go to an away game to Derby, although it probably helped that we won that day ?

flashdown

flashdown

Hey again everyone. My first visit to Carrow Road is less than a month away, the Norwich v Barnsley match.  Does anyone have suggestions on what stand to get tickets in?  Honestly not sure what would be good.

Canaryboy

Canaryboy

Barclay Stamd Lower tier if you can get one! 

Canaryboy

Canaryboy

Block E or D.

Canaryboy

Canaryboy

Block C if you can't get E or D. 

A or B if you can't get C. 

Bit of atmosphere in the Barclay Lower, and you are close to the away fans (although I doubt Barnsley have got a particularly good away support). 

flashdown

flashdown

Since I am not a member or season ticket holder, I won't be able to buy anything until Friday.  Looking at what is available now, I doubt I will be able to get anything in the Barclay.  Will tickets still be available by then? I know Norwich have a great attendance to home matches.  Do I need to pay the £25 for a membership to ensure I get tickets and if so, does that membership allow me to buy more than 1 ticket?

Canaryboy

Canaryboy

Doubt you will need a membership, not in this league against Barnsley. 

Can't you get in touch with the club, tell them you're coming from the USA for your first game? They might be able to give you first refusal on any Barclay Lower tickets which become available. 

Jarrold Stand is better than the River end by the way, if those are the choices you end up having, and Wensum corner is rubbish. 

Snakepit corner (between City Stand and Barclay) is alright too for atmosphere.

Just suggested Barclay Lower so you can experience a bit of atmosphere for your first game. 

flashdown

flashdown

Not a bad idea. I hadn't thought about doing that. I will give that a try and see what happens.

Also, thanks for ranking the other stands just in case the Barclay doesn't happen.  Fingers crossed I get some good seats, but regardless I am incredibly excited to get to attend a Norwich match.  Hopefully will make some friends along the way.

morty

morty

Staff member
It can be a bit tricky getting two seats together, especially in the Barclay. Good luck though. Pity I am away working in Poland or would have come and said "hi". 

flashdown

flashdown

Pity indeed morty. I'd like to catch up with someone the day of at least. Get shown the ropes of match day, so to speak.

Canaryboy

Canaryboy

It can be a bit tricky getting two seats together, especially in the Barclay. Good luck though. Pity I am away working in Poland or would have come and said "hi". 
Whereabouts in Poland Morty? 

Me and the missus traveled around Poland last year for about 10 days. When I say 'around Poland' we only did 3 cities... Krakow, Warsaw, Gdansk, but I absolutely loved it and want to get back over there and do a few more cities. 

Hoping to go back at some stage to do Wroclaw, Lodz and Poznan. 

morty

morty

Staff member
I am in the shipyard in Gdansk. I am very taken with the place and would definitely recommend it for a weekend break, the centre is absolutely beautiful. And so cheap.

I went to Poznan some years ago, I remember it being quite modern, and certainly not as historically interesting as Gdansk.

https://imgur.com/a/nGoC

flashdown

flashdown

Currently looking like the Upper Barclay will have some spots on Friday.  How is the view and atmosphere towards the last couple rows there?

Canaryboy

Canaryboy

Never liked the upper tiers personally, no tickets in the Jarrold? The problem with sitting in the upper is that you won't be able to see the lower. 

Jarrold stand is decent.