By using Norwichtalk.com services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

Frankie & Bennys

Canaryboy

Canaryboy

Does anybody actually like this place? Set off out on Sunday with the idea of getting a Toby Carvery, only to find it was a one hour wait for a seat and they'd run out of takeaway boxes, then thought we'd hit up a decent India takeaway we know on the way home, only to find out that didn't open until 5pm on a Sunday (it was 4.15pm).... so we popped into the Frankie and Bennys next door because we'd run out of ideas. Place was only about a quarter full on what presumably should be a busy day (menu is cheaper during the week). 

Spent £40 on two starters, two mains and two fizzy drinks, and the food was bloody terrible. Could tell it was all frozen rubbish, they were tight with the most crucial ingredients and the burger buns in particular were clearly the lowest possible quality - basically what you'd expect if you bought a 12 pack of burger buns from Iceland for £1 or something, the type which would probably still look the same after 6 months because they were soaked in preservative. 

Expected better for Pizza Express prices. I actually had a similar gripe when I last went to one in 2012, which explains the 5 year absence, only I think it was even worse this time. Googled when I got home (that was my level of outrage) and found that they'd closed 33 restaurants last year and another 10 this year...

... can't remember the last time I noticed a business getting the quality to price ratio so wrong. Felt a bit sorry for the waitress as my missus didn't tip because the food was so crap, not the waitresses fault but difficult to stomach paying even more when we could have just got any ready meal from Morrison's and probably enjoyed it more. We were starving as well, and I'm not the slightest bit fussy with food - so it must have been truly rubbish for me to even notice. 

I must be getting old dedicating this many words to a first world problem, but it did put me and the missus in a bit of a mood for the rest of the day  :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
G

GJP

Went a couple of times years ago - not through choice. It's utterly f*cking woeful.

morty

morty

Staff member
I don't mind it, but its pretty convenient for me as I live near Riverside. The one there is always heaving, so maybe some are better than others.

The main reason I don't mind it is that I get 20% (ex) armed forces discount though, it is definitely overpriced for what it is, the discount brings it down to a sensible level.

They have a good range, I like the Calzones they do, the kids seem to like the burgers. Coast to coast on Riverside is far superior, but neither as good as Zak's.

I also get discount in Prezzos which does far better Italian food.

Canaryboy

Canaryboy

Will probablyl vary from branch to branch, perhaps because Riverside is always busy the ingredients doesn't get as much time to decompose or spend less time frozen? Or just better management and quality control. 

Whenever I make it back to Norwich I usually just go to Pizza Express, only go back to see my nan and she lives at that end of the city. 

Norwich is desperately lacking a Toby Carvery though, that is one thing I'd miss if I ever moved back!

morty

morty

Staff member
Norwich is a fantastic place for food, so many really good restauraunts, if you ever get a chance try Prime at the Edith Cavell, honestly the best steak I have ever eaten.

But yeah you're right, there probably is a place for a Toby. The Nelson hotel does an okay carvery, Roccos on Prince of Wales did a fantastic one, but unfortunately closed down.

Fenway Frank

Fenway Frank

Isn’t there a Toby carvery on Broadland business park ?