By using Norwichtalk.com services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

NFL 2014

BarclayBoy88

BarclayBoy88

Jets

8-8

Could be as low as 5-11 or as high as 11-5 depending on the QB play and the ability to field a half decent secondary. 

flashdown

flashdown

Broncos: 13-3

Saints: 12-4

I think it is going to be a pretty good year my my teams.

BarclayBoy88

BarclayBoy88

On a slightly related note, I saw a guy in the bar (lower Barclay) on Saturday with a Jets hat on. If I wasn't do intent on getting a sausage roll then I'd have come and said Hi. 

The Ghost of Michael Theo

Chiefs - I honestly can't predict.

How can I predict on a team that went from 2-14 in 2012, to 11-5 in 2013?

I'd like to think we can make playoffs again, but who knows.....

Lone Star Canary

Lone Star Canary

Chiefs - I honestly can't predict.

How can I predict on a team that went from 2-14 in 2012, to 11-5 in 2013?

I'd like to think we can make playoffs again, but who knows.....
I'll be happy with 9-7, which probably won't be enough for the AFC playoffs, but still keeps them respectable.  Fortunately, the team across the parking lot has serious post-season aspirations for the first time since 1985.

(Don't let my location fool you... I grew up in Olathe and have always been a Royals/Chiefs fan)

Leedscanary

Leedscanary

Gutted to see some of the so called uk experts tipping the Cheeseheads for the Super Bowl

I'll be happy with 9-7, which probably won't be enough for the AFC playoffs, but still keeps them respectable.  Fortunately, the team across the parking lot has serious post-season aspirations for the first time since 1985.

(Don't let my location fool you... I grew up in Olathe and have always been a Royals/Chiefs fan)
Nice! My connection with KC started about 10 years ago, when I started working for a company based there. Now I have loads of friends there, and travel there at least twice a year. I call it my American home. While I originally had reservations going there (I thought it might be a bit dull),I now love the place and look forward to my trips. I manage to get to a game at Arrowhead once a year. This year it will be the Jets game. Last year, I was at the Raiders game where 'we' broke the record for the loudest stadium in the world.

I used to think NFL was a boring, long, over-hyped game. I started following it both at the recommendation of my friends, but also to try and understand some of their sports banter. I'm happy to admit I was wrong about the game, and now I'm Chiefs for life.

I've also been to many Royals games. I'm surprised to see them in contention for the playoffs, but think the next week or 2 will be critical, with road trips against The Yankees and Detroit, and also the Red Sox back at Kauffman. However, can you imagine if the Royals make the playoffs, you will have both KC teams playing in the playoffs in the same year! Amazing.

Anyway, good to chat to someone about KC sports.

Lone Star Canary

Lone Star Canary

I spent all my childhood in greater KC and enjoyed the glory era of the Royals from 1976-85... I turned 15 and moved to Texas - in late September '85.  My dad had gotten transferred and Mom was finishing her last year of nursing school, so she stayed behind and lived in Westport.  Sure enough the Royals come back from 3-1 series deficits vs. Toronto and St. Louis, and my mom gets to enjoy the celebratory party.

First surprise everyone gets in KS is that it's NOT FLAT.  People think of Kansas and it being flat as a pancake.  Well the western half is just a long slow flat imperceptable climb to the Rockies, but the eastern half is very hilly, as is Missouri.

The WWI Memorial and Museum in KC would likely be of interest to anyone in the UK.  It's very interesting.  The Truman Presidential Library is neat too.

I mentioned Fort Worth BBQ in a different thread, but I cut my teeth on KC BBQ (Gates, Arthur Bryants, and Haywards),which is more pork/less beef than what you find in Texas.  I hold both in equal regard, with Memphis BBQ just behind and all three way, way ahead of that crap they serve in the Carolinas.

Fenway Frank

Fenway Frank

Lone star, ignore my post in the baseball thread as this explains why you support the royals. On the subject of BBQ, I went to Atalnta and Memphis last year and had the best BBQ food I've ever eaten.

splutcho

splutcho

Watching Colts v Broncos that I've recorded from last night, so nobody tell me what happens  :p

I'm hoping that I'll get it a little more this year. I don't really know why, but I have a strong dislike for the Patriots, so was tickled to see them lose.

splutcho

splutcho

Note to self, don't record the game on Channel 4 in future. This coverage is awful compared to Sky.

splutcho

splutcho

Can somebody answer me a really stupid question? I know the ball doesn't have to be placed for a TD (like for a try in rugby) so is the TD scored when someone holding the ball steps into the endzone or can they be behind the line themselves but be holding the ball over the line? I hope that makes sense.

flashdown

flashdown

As long as they have possession of the ball and are not out of bounds, the ball just has to cross the line.  This is why you see people reaching the ball forward when they get close to the endzone.

flashdown

flashdown

Glad to help. That game you are/were watching is a good one.  Looks like it's going to be a good season for the NFL.

Lone Star Canary

Lone Star Canary

Lone star, ignore my post in the baseball thread as this explains why you support the royals. On the subject of BBQ, I went to Atalnta and Memphis last year and had the best BBQ food I've ever eaten.
No problem... I didn't get back into this thread over here until this morning.  I have too many forums so I sometimes just wander in and out of conversations unless I get really engaged in a particular conversation.

As for the BBQ.  Come to Fort Worth and try Cooper's (or go to the original in Llano) or Riscky's.  Both have locations in the Stockyards Cooper's to the north of Billy Bob's and Riscky's to the SE of Billy Bob's down Exchange a couple of blocks.

Can somebody answer me a really stupid question? I know the ball doesn't have to be placed for a TD (like for a try in rugby) so is the TD scored when someone holding the ball steps into the endzone or can they be behind the line themselves but be holding the ball over the line? I hope that makes sense.
It's the ball that matters.  The body can NOT be across the line but if the ball is across it's a touchdown.  It's common for a player gunning for the corner to slip the ball just inside (or knocking over) the rectangular orange pylon.  That said, the feet are important if the ball is NOT across the line - typically on pass plays.  If the receiver has solid possession of the ball and has both feet (pros, college only needs one foot) in the end zone, the location of the ball is irelevant and it's a touchdown.

Cowboys stunk it up, LOL... Yesterday's game at the Death Star (we have many names for Jerry World aka Cowboys Stadium aka AT&T Stadium) almost had more 49ers fans than Cowboys.  That's just funny.

Unfortunately, the Chiefs stunk it up, too.  At least I can still focus on the Royals, Norwich City, and the Oklahoma Sooners - my college team which is ranked 4th (AP) and 3rd (USAToday) in the nation.  Saturday night we get to spank another SEC team on national TV.  I think we opened as 21 point favorites.  Always great to pound an orange team into dust.

KC were awful. Even worse, that it looks like we've lost Johnson & DeVitto for the season.

I think it's going to be a long one....

Tomasz Blazak

Tomasz Blazak

Redskins were horrific too. 

To add to the TD question, the whole of the ball does not have to cross the line. If any part of the ball, crosses any part of the line, it's a TD.