By using Norwichtalk.com services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

Norwich City vs Everton (Home) Saturday 15th January.

Status
Not open for further replies.
OldRobert

OldRobert

How good to be congratulating the team for a change. Really enjoyed it for once. Great interception by Williams for Idah's goal. Didn't think Keane or Gordon should have stayed on the pitch.....................dirty little bastards. Don't often see us being fouled off the park 'cos the other lot are so bad. Let's see if we can do it again.

Fenway Frank

Fenway Frank

saw Sorenson's stats, and although I didn't notice much of him in the game, he actually did a lot of the shit work, leaving Lees-Melou to get forward a lot more
Agree with this, when I came away from the game Lunghi was the one player who I thought hadn’t done much but he clearly played his part, massive game coming up Friday night

Gunvald Larsson

Gunvald Larsson

wow, where did that come from? ..... great team performance from all the lads ..... standouts for me were Idah, Williams, Sargent and Lees-Melou ..... Adam finally looked the part of PL striker, a superb afternoon for him capped by a great goal ..... Brandon's commitment was what impressed me the most, his interception and vision leading up to the second goal were the pick of a fine overall performance ..... Josh's hassling, tackling and ability to create space for others were top class and he really gave The Toffees the runaround all afternoon ..... Pierre had his best game for us with good passing and tackling and his positional play was really good (perhaps McLean not being in the team was a big help) .....perhaps this is the formation to keep us up ..... not one passenger among the 11 and the subs certainly did their part too ... at times the atmosphere inside Carrow Road was electric ..... finally, if you look very closely you can see me in the background of some of the MOTD footage ..... I'm the light coloured blob sitting near the Wensum Block corner flag
1f603.png
..... OTBC

ps Hanley was also excellent, as he often is ..... his performance held the defence together for the periods when Everton did threaten

morty

morty

Staff member
I actually know a fair few folk who didn't bother going, as they didn't have the stomach for another loss.

Funny.

morty

morty

Staff member
Oh and another point I picked up on from media yesterday, Billy Gilmour was there watching the game.

Din

Din

I don't know where that performance came from or where this group of players have been for the last month or so, but man, that was fantastic. Right from the word go we played with so much more intensity and purpose, and you could tell after the second went in that Everton were just stunned, they couldn't get to grips at all with the way we started the game. Brilliant performance and a brilliant win, even a day later I'm still absolutely buzzing with it.

Agree with what everyone else has said in terms of the standout players. Really tidy performance from Lees-Melou. He actually recovered the ball a surprising amount in the first half which I certainly haven't seen him do that often before, but offensively he was also much more effective. Found himself in some good shooting areas and hopefully if he keeps getting in them he'll start chipping in with some goals. It was actually a blessing in disguise McLean having to isolate for this game, because I don't think Deano would've dropped him, yet the Lees-Melou/Sorenson partnership worked nicely. Hanley was another one who was superb. Obviously when you have a striker like Calvert-Lewin playing for the other team you cannot afford to switch off when the ball comes into our box as he's such a threat in the air, yet Hanley won every header and his positioning was so often perfect. Williams was on an absolute mission which was a real joy to watch. Flying into challenges, making surging runs with the ball and obviously he does incredibly well for the second goal. He would've been my man of the match if it wasn't for a certain Irishman up front. Also I have to say fair fucking play to Josh Sargent. Like many I've criticised him quite a lot so far this season, but he put in a real shift yesterday and played a crucial part in the first goal, probably his best performance yet for us, fingers crossed he can build on it. There wasn't a bad performance out there though, everyone was a 7 out of 10 or above. Worth saying as well Rashica was so unlucky with the chance right at the death, would've been the cherry on the cake.

But man, what a performance from Didier Drogba Adam Idah. I genuinely think that's one of the best games I've seen a Norwich striker have in a very, very long time. It was just a complete performance. His hold-up play was amazing, dare I say Grant Holt-esque at times, and not only would he hold the ball up he'd then get his head up and play the right pass. He'd run the lines and beat players when he was dribbling, his work rate off the ball was phenomenal, and to top it all off he scored what proved to be the winning goal. He was unlucky as well with that chance where he brilliantly ball rolled it round Pickford only for Godfrey (who I thought was one of the only good Everton performers on the pitch) to appear out of nowhere and clear it. It feels like a real landmark moment for him after a couple of seasons now where he hasn't pushed on as much as we all thought he might, and it also feels like his partnership with Pukki could be really important for us now in the second half of the season. Really looking forward to seeing how he develops from this point onwards, but I'm delighted for him, and it seems as if Deano has given him some real belief.

One thing I have to admit I did think was a bit strange yesterday, is that when Williams had to go off injured it was Byram that Smith bought on, even though we had Giannoulis, an actual left back and very good one at that, on the bench. Maybe Smith just thought for whatever reason Byram was better suited for this particular game, and as it happens Aarons went off injured a couple of minutes later and Giannoulis came on anyway, but I did think that was odd and that Dimi can't have been too happy with that, as it sort of suggests that Deano views Giannoulis as 3rd choice left back now behind Williams and Byram. I thought though both of them did well when they came on. Dimi made a crucial block to deny Everton a equaliser, and Byram won an awful lot of headers, which was vital as Everton's tactic in the last 10/15 seemed to be launch it long towards Richarlison, but Byram was often beating him in the air. But yeah, I'm probably reading a bit too much into it but I was surprised by that change.

No surprise to see Rafa has been sacked this afternoon. We were superb and thoroughly deserved the win but Everton were so flat. It felt like they were basically relying on Demarai Gray, or Richarlison when he came on, pulling something out of nothing to get them anything from the game, which to be fair Richarlison did do. If we were to beat Watford on Friday it wouldn't be impossible that Ranieri would be sacked as well, so we could potentially go for a managerial sacking double header, which would be nice.

This has to be it now, the point in which we kick on and pick up some results that give us that fighting chance. The worst thing in the world now would be to go to Watford and revert back to the drab, deflating performances that we'd been putting in before we pulled yesterday out of the bag. It feels like with this formula we've stumbled on something here, we need to build on it now. Massive, massive game Friday night. A draw isn't the end of the world, and we certainly cannot afford to lose it, but a win would just be huge, and would actually take us a couple of points clear of the bottom 3. We proved today that we're capable of getting it so let's do it.

G

gerryinromania

Good read Din. Maybe Smith saw that Byram has a lot more experience, especially as Everton were giving it a go

S

steven7942

Hi Canaries! Newbie here - does anyone have the full v. Everton game to share? Would be grateful. Thx.

G

gerryinromania

Thanks for the highlights and City view. Much appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.