By using Norwichtalk.com services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

Norwich City vs Leeds (Home) Saturday 25th August.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Canaryboy

Canaryboy

Yup.

Do people look back and wish McNally had given Gunn a bit more time?

Does sacking Farke solve the problem though?

Took a change at executive level for Gunn to lose his job.

We should perhaps feel very lucky that when Webber signed former Huddersfield loanee James Husband for £1m on 11th July to replace Mitchell Djiks who was apparently too expensive, that Farke felt there was an existing kid he could work with?

We should perhaps feel lucky that the kid Farke brought with him for peanuts to be a backup centre back turned out to be twice as good as the team captain who was given a two year contract extension a few days after pre-season training started (did Farke really make that decision, before he'd seen the team working with a football?).

Is it Farke's fault that we've gone full circle in the goalkeeper situation, releasing Ruddy without thinking of perhaps asking him to take a big pay cut, then adding a huge amount of value to a rich clubs player, and then eventually replacing Ruddy with a high profile player of a similar age with a similar loss in form and confidence.

Since Farke arrived here in May 2017 he's just had to suffer a prolonged and constant downgrading of the squad, when was the last time a manager managed to improve a side with a fast shrinking budget? Its basically a poor mans version of the job Lambert had to do at Villa isn't it?

I find it really difficult to hold Farke responsible when we don't have the foggiest idea how much input he even has into any of this. He's a head coach, so is Webber just signing players for him and then expecting him to get results out of them? Because it sometimes feels that way..... does Huddersfield legend Jordan Rhodes really feel like a Farke signing? Was an immobile target man really what Farke would have had in mind, or did he want a false nine? Who knows, none of know. Its frustrating.

I've started to look at that list of players we've got though and questioning whether as a collective its really got enough Championship standard players within it and enough experience of Championship football or football in general to even take us to 14th again.

Would a new manager be a miracle worker? Just feels a bit like Roeder, Grant, Gunn again really. Feels like we're heading towards League One again, if Webber takes us there does he deserve to stay? Or did he just have a lucky 18 months at Huddersfield where the starts aligned, because that's how it feels to be honest.... I mean.... Mike Walker took us on a run in Europe and a 3rd place finish, but it meant fuck all at Everton and he ended up running a skip hire business.

morty

morty

Staff member
We aren't that quick to react to 'not doing great'. Going by past experience the Board can drag it out for a loooooooooooooooong time.:eek:

Sacking a manager costs money, you have to promise a new manager money to spend, which he will want to, as regardless of our new football philosophy, a new manager will always want different players. I would say that the concept of when the time is right to change a manager is a very inexact science unfortunately. And folk will always hindsight any decision that is made. Should we have offerred Gunn the job after we got us relegated? I actually don't remember too many objecting to it. Should Hughton have stayed till the end of the season and maybe ground out the few points we needed? Well he couldn't as the fans were baying for his blood, but I wonder what could have happened.

Should Alex Neil have had more time? Where Alex Neil failed was extremely poor scouting and signings, so could he have prospered under someone like Webber?

But I know this much, calling for a manager's head this early in the season is too soon.

OldRobert

OldRobert

I agree with that in principle Morty, but if we get tonked on Sunday, I can't help feeling that things could get a bit lively.

G

GJP

Does sacking Farke solve the problem though?

Took a change at executive level for Gunn to lose his job.

We should perhaps feel very lucky that when Webber signed former Huddersfield loanee James Husband for £1m on 11th July to replace Mitchell Djiks who was apparently too expensive, that Farke felt there was an existing kid he could work with?

We should perhaps feel lucky that the kid Farke brought with him for peanuts to be a backup centre back turned out to be twice as good as the team captain who was given a two year contract extension a few days after pre-season training started (did Farke really make that decision, before he'd seen the team working with a football?).

Is it Farke's fault that we've gone full circle in the goalkeeper situation, releasing Ruddy without thinking of perhaps asking him to take a big pay cut, then adding a huge amount of value to a rich clubs player, and then eventually replacing Ruddy with a high profile player of a similar age with a similar loss in form and confidence.

Since Farke arrived here in May 2017 he's just had to suffer a prolonged and constant downgrading of the squad, when was the last time a manager managed to improve a side with a fast shrinking budget? Its basically a poor mans version of the job Lambert had to do at Villa isn't it?

I find it really difficult to hold Farke responsible when we don't have the foggiest idea how much input he even has into any of this. He's a head coach, so is Webber just signing players for him and then expecting him to get results out of them? Because it sometimes feels that way..... does Huddersfield legend Jordan Rhodes really feel like a Farke signing? Was an immobile target man really what Farke would have had in mind, or did he want a false nine? Who knows, none of know. Its frustrating.

I've started to look at that list of players we've got though and questioning whether as a collective its really got enough Championship standard players within it and enough experience of Championship football or football in general to even take us to 14th again.

Would a new manager be a miracle worker? Just feels a bit like Roeder, Grant, Gunn again really. Feels like we're heading towards League One again, if Webber takes us there does he deserve to stay? Or did he just have a lucky 18 months at Huddersfield where the starts aligned, because that's how it feels to be honest.... I mean.... Mike Walker took us on a run in Europe and a 3rd place finish, but it meant fuck all at Everton and he ended up running a skip hire business.

Is it all Farke's fault? No.

Has he shown a good eye for a player? Yes.

Would a new manager work miracles? Maybe not.

Is Farke going to work miracles? Definitely not.

We've seen enough of him now to know what we are getting. And that is someone who can't tighten the defence, can't get the balance right and can't make positive, impacting changes during a game.

Din

Din

We've seen enough of him now to know what we are getting. And that is someone who can't tighten the defence, can't get the balance right and can't make positive, impacting changes during a game.

To be fair we saw in spells last season that he is capable of tightening the defence. We conceded 2 goals in 8 games in that unbeaten run at the beginning of last season, and 7 goals in 12 games in that decent run around the new year. The consistency was lacking definitely but I think that's because he was trying to experiment a bit and find a better balance. One that was sustainable and didn't rely on Maddison popping one in from 25 yards to nick us a win.

That is one area though that he's failed in so far, finding that balance. He couldn't really do it last season and he clearly hasn't found it yet this season. To be fair with all the new players coming in he deserves a few more games to try and find that, but if he can't then in 5, 6, 7 games or so he should go. I agree that he needs to be far more active when it comes to substitutions.

Status
Not open for further replies.