By using Norwichtalk.com services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

Norwich City vs Liverpool (away) Friday 9th August.

Status
Not open for further replies.
OldRobert

OldRobert

actually thought we played pretty well there particuarly in the first half, it was just our defending and finishing was poor, everything else in between was good, you'd like to think if we tighten things up and play with the same attacking intent we should be able to get a good result against Newcastle
Great bit of sarcasm there dj (I assume)! Play like that every week and we'll be down by Guy Fawkes. Play like the second half and we'll finish about 14th. Oh and ffs drop McLean, Hanley when we have another fit CB, and Cantwell. :D Other than that 12 shots on goal at Anfield is pretty damn good.

Din

Din

Obviously disappointing to lose the game, but all in all there is plenty to be positive about. We played some superb football and at times we were able to cut Liverpool open. We had 12 shots, which is the most any side has registered at Anfield in nearly a year, and if we play how we did throughout that 2nd half and at times in the 1st half for the rest of the season we'll be absolutely fine.

That all said, I was honestly considering going home at half time and not watching the 2nd half. It wasn't even about the performance, it was just the manner of Liverpool's goals that annoyed me. I don't wanna scapegoat the guy at all, but it just can't be avoided that Hanley really was a weak link for us., and if we'd had Zimbo or Klose in there instead then I think things could've been different (not saying we would've won). The first goal his body positioning was just all wrong, and the 4th he just has zero awareness of what's going on around him. The 2nd goal is unfortunate to be fair, Lewis makes a good tackle and it just happens to rebound off Trybull and perfectly into Salah's path. As for the 3rd, why on Earth is Jamal marking Van Dijk from a corner? He's by far Liverpool's best header of a ball, so surely we put our best header of it, Godfrey, on him?

Defensively we were not great at all. As I said Hanley was a massive weak link, and the two sitting in front of the defence didn't really protect them brilliantly. Going forwards though we were brilliant, just needed a little more composure.

Between Pukki and Cantwell for man of the match. Pukki was a constant pest and finished brilliantly for his goal. Absolutely delighted that he got on the score-sheet and has shown that he is more than capable of stepping up. What a revelation Cantwell has been. Obviously superb in pre-season but to put in a performance like he did at Anfield is just amazing. Seems to have really matured since last season and was arguably our best player today. Aarons was great as expected, Godfrey was solid overall and won every header in the 2nd half, and Lewis was generally very good too, and was actually brilliant going forward. Fair play to Tim Krul as well, definitely warranted his place in the XI. Made 2 or 3 outstanding saves and can't be faulted for any of the goals. Buendia showed in flashes what he can do, particularly with the assist for Pukki. Trybull and McLean unfortunately didn't really cover themselves in any glory. Obviously it was always going to be difficult at Liverpool away to have any sort of control, but McLean in particular looked well out of his depth, as oppose to Leitner who was fantastic when he came on, made us look much better as a team. Hate to say it as well but Stiepermann was just nowhere near the level required. It is very very early doors so no reason to write anyone off though.

All in all frustrating but not disheartening, and plenty to be proud of. Ultimately our season is not going to be decided in away games against the big 6. Just looking forward to Newcastle at home next week now! OTBC

Last edited:
N

Number 9

We haven't really learnt anything new from last night, its been the same pattern as last season.

When Trybull and McLean play there, it becomes a basketball game, end to end, no control.

When Leitner comes on, suddenly we look like a football team who can go places.

Farke made an error not playing Leitner and Onel from the start. Unlike the championship, the Premier League gives swift punishment for not playing your best team.

N

Number 9

That said, none of us will be surprised if Farke starts the same 11 which started against Liverpool.
It's what he does.

OldRobert

OldRobert

No change was frustrating at times last season. I was really hoping we weren't going to get a repeat this season.

G

GJP

Feel a lot more confidant about our chances about staying up, after that second half !
I feel confident anyway but it's worth bearing in mind Liverpool were already 4 nil up without being at their best.

We know this bunch of lads can play football. Good football.

Canaryboy

Canaryboy

We haven't really learnt anything new from last night, its been the same pattern as last season.

When Trybull and McLean play there, it becomes a basketball game, end to end, no control.

When Leitner comes on, suddenly we look like a football team who can go places.

Farke made an error not playing Leitner and Onel from the start. Unlike the championship, the Premier League gives swift punishment for not playing your best team.
I'd like to see Hernandez or Roberts come in for Stiepermann for a very winnable home fixture next week, and can't wait to hear the news that Klose is fit because Hanley is a second tier player.

But we've got one of the top 2 hardest fixtures of the season out of the way with some real positives towards the end of the game (Man City away the other one),lets see where we really stand in a winnable game.

N

Number 9

I'd like to see Hernandez or Roberts come in for Stiepermann for a very winnable home fixture next week, and can't wait to hear the news that Klose is fit because Hanley is a second tier player.

But we've got one of the top 2 hardest fixtures of the season out of the way with some real positives towards the end of the game (Man City away the other one),lets see where we really stand in a winnable game.
My view is that Onel should start, he will chase back to win a ball, so good facing forward too.
Marco has been below par during the preseason games and against liverpool.

Normally he works hard including doing some defensive work on top of his goal / assist stuff.

I don't know if he's carrying an injury, tired out or just out of form.
I might be wrong but I've not seen Roberts and todd tracking back helping with the defence as much as emi, Onel and steipe.

Canaryboy

Canaryboy

Love that "I'm not a tourist" line from Ben Godfrey... Wise beyond his years and shows real belief in his own abilities.

Dubai Mark

Dubai Mark

Like everyone I'm sure, rarely do I agree 100% with anyone when it comes to a match view, but this for me nails it.

Obviously disappointing to lose the game, but all in all there is plenty to be positive about. We played some superb football and at times we were able to cut Liverpool open. We had 12 shots, which is the most any side has registered at Anfield in nearly a year, and if we play how we did throughout that 2nd half and at times in the 1st half for the rest of the season we'll be absolutely fine.

That all said, I was honestly considering going home at half time and not watching the 2nd half. It wasn't even about the performance, it was just the manner of Liverpool's goals that annoyed me. I don't wanna scapegoat the guy at all, but it just can't be avoided that Hanley really was a weak link for us., and if we'd had Zimbo or Klose in there instead then I think things could've been different (not saying we would've won). The first goal his body positioning was just all wrong, and the 4th he just has zero awareness of what's going on around him. The 2nd goal is unfortunate to be fair, Lewis makes a good tackle and it just happens to rebound off Trybull and perfectly into Salah's path. As for the 3rd, why on Earth is Jamal marking Van Dijk from a corner? He's by far Liverpool's best header of a ball, so surely we put our best header of it, Godfrey, on him?

Defensively we were not great at all. As I said Hanley was a massive weak link, and the two sitting in front of the defence didn't really protect them brilliantly. Going forwards though we were brilliant, just needed a little more composure.

Between Pukki and Cantwell for man of the match. Pukki was a constant pest and finished brilliantly for his goal. Absolutely delighted that he got on the score-sheet and has shown that he is more than capable of stepping up. What a revelation Cantwell has been. Obviously superb in pre-season but to put in a performance like he did at Anfield is just amazing. Seems to have really matured since last season and was arguably our best player today. Aarons was great as expected, Godfrey was solid overall and won every header in the 2nd half, and Lewis was generally very good too, and was actually brilliant going forward. Fair play to Tim Krul as well, definitely warranted his place in the XI. Made 2 or 3 outstanding saves and can't be faulted for any of the goals. Buendia showed in flashes what he can do, particularly with the assist for Pukki. Trybull and McLean unfortunately didn't really cover themselves in any glory. Obviously it was always going to be difficult at Liverpool away to have any sort of control, but McLean in particular looked well out of his depth, as oppose to Leitner who was fantastic when he came on, made us look much better as a team. Hate to say it as well but Stiepermann was just nowhere near the level required. It is very very early doors so no reason to write anyone off though.

All in all frustrating but not disheartening, and plenty to be proud of. Ultimately our season is not going to be decided in away games against the big 6. Just looking forward to Newcastle at home next week now! OTBC

Reactions: Din
Status
Not open for further replies.