By using Norwichtalk.com services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

Norwich vs Bournemouth (Home) 12th August 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
KeiranShikari

KeiranShikari

Huh, I didn't think Wisdom was that good. Think I'd prefer Whittaker, although I guess you could claim Wisdom isn't quite match fit.

splutcho

splutcho

I didn't think Wisdom was great. As shown by the free header for their goal our defence is still shoddy. Overall, good performance though. Jarvis and Brady were both decent, Wes was great. Mbokani (although very briefly) looked like he might be a good signing.

G

GJP

Wes was different class. Howson and Tettey were brilliant. Helluva midfield.

Canaryboy

Canaryboy

As shown by the free header for their goal our defence is still shoddy.
That goal was a weird one wasn't it, looked like every player stood completely still apart from Steve Cook!

Canaryboy

Canaryboy

Huh, I didn't think Wisdom was that good. Think I'd prefer Whittaker, although I guess you could claim Wisdom isn't quite match fit.
I thought he looked really neat and tidy and much more composed in possession, but its a game of opinions! 

KeiranShikari

KeiranShikari

He grew into the game. There's something there but yeah, I'm a fan of Whittaker.

Dubai Mark

Dubai Mark

Me too Wiz, he didnt look like a player making his debut, looked settled and a part of a very slick City team. Wes was terrific,  but for me the unsung hero today was Howson, very classy show from him. 

Canaryboy

Canaryboy

but for me the unsung hero today was Howson, very classy show from him. 
Didn't go unnoticed by me either, a lot of our attacks started with him winning the ball in midfield and playing the first ball. 

The whole midfield trio of Tettey-Howson-Hoolahan were immense today really, when you think that with have Mulumbu to come back and Dorrans who has had some good games already this season, I'm beginning to see just why there is just no space for Johnson in this team. 

Din

Din

Disappointing to concede the sloppy goal at the end but overall a really good performance and great win. First half we were slightly the better team, but not dominant by any means. Second half though was so much better and we completely controlled the game.

Hoolahan was undoubtedly man of the match. He was absolutely unplayable today and it was easily the best individual performance I've seen from any of our players for quite a while. The skill to beat Cook to set-up Jerome's goal was superb, and then he ended up scoring a brilliant goal that he completely deserved. Apart from that I was really impressed with Brady and Jarvis down our left. I think Jarvis looked slightly unsure what to do on the ball at times, but overall he was very good and took his goal really well. Bassong was brilliant as well, as was all our defence really, and it was also great for Jerome to get a goal, which he also deserved as he put in a great performance. Wisdom was impressive and it's shame that he'll be unavailable next week, as he looked considerably better than Whittaker.

The counter attacks we put together were key to our success today, with Hoolahan at the heart of that. Both of our second half goals came through hitting them after they'd gone forward, and our finishing today as well was excellent. We didn't have too many 'good' chances but we took the ones we had very well. Brilliant win today and has helped us get over the loss of Johnson and not being able to get in a centre half. Onwards and upwards.

G

GJP

Wisdom was impressive and it's shame that he'll be unavailable next week, as he looked considerably better than Whittaker.
do you think you'd already come to that conclusion before kick off and regardless of how Wisdom actually played?

The Great Mass Debater

The Great Mass Debater

I noticed about Howson too, whether he had a more responsible role than luxury role considering there was no BJ or Dorrans, and we were playing Wes, Redmond and Jarvis all attacking players, with Tettey a defensive player, he was directly implicated as the man responsible for linking it all together. Thought he was good, almost captain-like. Have they announced a replacement as vice captain for BJ?

Wes was very impressive. He's had a great start to the season - what will be interesting is what happens when we start to play the big boys, will Wes be sacrificed?

Think having Jarvis on the left will really help Redmond ultimately, in the way signing Ashton released Huckerby. Great debut from Jarvis, thought he was Pilkington-esque, though clearly eager to impress - lets hope he can keep that motivation. Good to see Olsson back too. Selection dilemma on that left flank now   :)

Din

Din

do you think you'd already come to that conclusion before kick off and regardless of how Wisdom actually played?
:D The irony.

With the greatest of respect, Wisdom could've scored 2 overhead kicks and a volley from the half-way line, as well as make 20 successful tackles and won every header, and you'd still be insisting that Whittaker is twice as good as him. I find your obsession to constantly praise him and defend him even when he's generally poor very odd.

The Great Mass Debater

The Great Mass Debater

:D The irony.

With the greatest of respect, Wisdom could've scored 2 overhead kicks and a volley from the half-way line, as well as make 20 successful tackles and won every header, and you'd still be insisting that Whittaker is twice as good as him. I find your obsession to constantly praise him and defend him even when he's generally poor very odd.
He wouldnt have scored 2 overhead kicks, they'd have been disallowed...

G

GJP

generally poor .
Does Alex Neil keep picking generally poor players? Nah.

As for Wisdom, I thought he played quite well. Particularly in the second half when he weighted a couple of forward passes very nicely. Caught out a couple of times defensivlely in the first half - including one weak tackle near the halfway line...but we'll overlook those because he's not Whittaker.

Canaryboy

Canaryboy

We can at least say that being able to argue about who is better out of our two right backs is a nice position to be in, its better than not having two decent right backs. 

Din

Din

Does Alex Neil keep picking generally poor players? Nah.

As for Wisdom, I thought he played quite well. Particularly in the second half when he weighted a couple of forward passes very nicely. Caught out a couple of times defensivlely in the first half - including one weak tackle near the halfway line...but we'll overlook those because he's not Whittaker.
I'm not saying Whittaker is generally poor. In the second half of last season he was very good, and consistant. However I remember during the bad run we went through under Neil Adams, you consistantly defended Whittaker, and if anybody criticised him you would immediately jump on that, despite the fact that he was incredibly poor throughout that run. This season he hasn't had a good start. He didn't have a clue against Zaha/Bolasie when we played Palace, he was average against Stoke and was plain stupid against Southampton, arguably costing us the game. His only 'good' game was the one against Sunderland where the whole team played well against a dire side. Wisdom has come in and had a good game today. He dealt with the pace of Ritchie well, and got forward effectively and performed better (in my opinion) than Whittaker has so far this season. I don't think it's at all unreasonable to suggest that he is better than Whittaker purely based on what we've seen so far this season, however the minute someone expresses this opinion you have to jump on. 

Fwiw I think you're a good poster and generally know what you're talking about, but to be honest I think it's ironic you accuse me of apparently going out of my way to slate Whittaker, when you go out of your way to defend him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dubai Mark

Dubai Mark

Wisdom for me had a poor first half and didnt seem to be putting in enough effort and did get caught out a few times, but he did improve second half along with the rest if the team.  Im not a fan or otherwise of Whittaker, but from what I have seen so far this season, would prefer him to start when he is available, but am also haooy that Wisdom is adequate cover. 

The Great Mass Debater

The Great Mass Debater

Still making my mind up about Wisdom. He's bigger, stronger and quicker than I thought (maybe he has just grown a bit since I last saw him). He looks very aware attacking wise, having played some excellent killer balls, and he looks exciting when he surges forward, decent cross on him too. 

BUT, he seems to have poor concentration. He seems to switch off at vital moments and his efforts look a bit half-hearted. He is definitely faster and stronger than Whittaker, but overall so far his defending doesnt seem to be that much better. Whittaker is very good going forward, Wisdom also has some strengths there.

All in all I'd say they're pretty similar so far, though I think Wisdom has the capacity to improve. Whittaker I feel does not. I think Whittaker is as good as he is ever going to be and only his form will fluctuate.

If Wisdom improves his concentration and work-rate he could become the better player. If.

Status
Not open for further replies.