By using Norwichtalk.com services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

Norwich vs Nottingham Forest (away) 8th November 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Great Mass Debater

The Great Mass Debater

As anyone who reads any of my posts would know I am a huge fan of Olsson, but he was nice and tight against Antonio but then runs brainlessly off him towards the goal leaving him free to slot home. Poor defending. And that is the second time I've been shocked to see him outpaced. Apart from the shoulder problem we know about, is he carrying an injury or something? Time to consider Olsson at left wing and bring Garrido in behind him? (The 'Roeder')

eatonparkboy

eatonparkboy

I'm trying to keep calm but I just want to bang my head against the wall. Did we really only make one substitution there? And that was Laugherty! As has been pointed out, it was calling out for Redmond to come on in a stretched game. Lansbury came on and gave them a focal point and fresh impetus.

I really don't know what to say. I don't want to panic and I though first half our football was good. But I can't see where Adams reacts well to pressure or where the backroom staff and him work out reasoned changes. For goodness sake, Brentford are above us!

M

-Matt-

It's now or never for promotion. It gets exponentially harder after this year when most of our best players move on.

Time for a change I think.

Din

Din

First half overall we were the better side. Defended well, looked relatively comfortable and Forest tbh were pretty poor. However we gradually fell apart in the second half, and some cases of quite frankly dreadful defending, as well as offering next to nothing going forward has cost us hugely. Forest were the much better team and deserved all the points. 

What cost us today for me was Adams substitutions, or rather the lack of them. With about half an hour left Forest changed it to 3 at the back, and they obviously looked much more threatening going forward. Rather than bring Redmond/Murphy on and try and just hit them with pace on the counter, we bought on Lafferty in left midfield, who is quite frankly a liability at times, and stuck our best centre midfielder Jonny Howson on the right. The diamond formation worked well first half, but when it failed to work in the second half Adams barely altered it and ultimately cost us IMO.

I've backed Adams since the start but I am rapidly losing my patience. These last 2 games promised to be difficult but the way we've lost them both is an absolute joke. Our next 2 games are both at home against Brighton and Reading, 2 very winnable games. I would give him those 2 games and if we still haven't managed to change our fortunes I'd get rid.  

Gaffer

Gaffer

It could've been us...

3362837.jpg

ZLF

ZLF

we were poor all game but took the lead against the run of play against a shockingly poor forest.

Their confidence is worse than hours and we had the balance of play without really threatening to get a second goal - not surprising when the team is set up to defend and not create.   Poor passing (howson excepted) lack of passion (tettey excepted - great MOTM) but for the last 25 mins too many players vanished;   again when jerome went of we became less of a side (right sub as injured but he is missed).   Johnson not good enough and with oneil simply outnumbered ,  Howson brilliant in spasmodic spells yet invisible too often,

Martin was mixed at RB - good in spells but also poor,  prob just ahead of whit so should stay there;  thought cuellar was ok and will improve. 

The win was there for the taking today yet the wrong formation and wrong players going forward restricted our ability to see the game out.   

OK Neil;  you finally changed the defensive personnel - stick with it and coach defending for the next 2 weeks.   Then get back to having an attacking 6 that gives us a hope of winning - not the tactically poor option given today.  

The Great Mass Debater

The Great Mass Debater

The main complaints about Hughton was him selecting the wrong tactics, failing to react to changes in the game, persisting with out of form players, and making either the wrong subs or none at all. To be honest I fail to see what has changed

Last edited by a moderator:
The Great Mass Debater

The Great Mass Debater

Still cant defend. Still struggle to attack. Still no effective wing-play. Players still look uncomfortable

The Great Mass Debater

The Great Mass Debater

I also have to question why we think our squad is strong enough to loan out several first teamers to rival teams. If we were 15 points clear we might be in a position to let others feed off the scraps of our table, but we're not, and the players we have allowed to go out to rivals on their day can be extremely effective in this league. The questions are beginning to mount up

Dandy Mountfarto

Dandy Mountfarto

The main complaint about Hughton was him selecting the wrong tactics, failing to react to changes in the game, persisting with out of form players, and making either the wrong subs or none at all. To be honest I fail to see what has changed
Adams has been making some weird decisions recently but lets not forget the game changing substitutions and tactical changes that lead to those comebacks earlier in the season. To accuse him of being Hughton-esque is unfair imo.

You can still think he's bad but he's clearly not bad in the same way Hughton was.

eatonparkboy

eatonparkboy

I have no overwhelming desire to go back to the Prem. But I accept we would have to if we got to the top. My main priority is to see good football from the personnel available.

And for 30 minutes of the first half, the football was measured and controlled. But of course Forest changed their style and personnel. Adams didn't react at all today. I know Forest had to change it but surely the mark of a manager is to react to any change. Certainly great managers like Ferguson and Mourinho didn't or don't wait too long before reacting.

I am not for sacking anyone but the next two home games must see a real change or the home crowd will turn and that will be last season all over again.

Trouble is, although neutral about Adams, I am not really sure he is a manager to change things.

M

-Matt-

TBH with his record in the championship, I think Hughton would have been doing better than Adams is right now.

The Great Mass Debater

The Great Mass Debater

"Adams has been making some weird decisions recently but lets not forget the game changing substitutions and tactical changes that lead to those comebacks earlier in the season. To accuse him of being Hughton-esque is unfair imo.

You can still think he's bad but he's clearly not bad in the same way Hughton was."

Im not sure. He's shown tactical ineptitude on a number of occasions, perfect example being the opening game at Wolves where the team was totally wrong for that game. Too often now you look at the way we have approached games and wondered why we seem to be conspiring to make it hard for ourselves. Too many times I feel we have thrown away games not because we arent good enough but because we've made the wrong choices. That comes down to Adams. In my opinion we shouldnt have been relegated last year - and as manager, Hughton is ultimately responsible for that. In the same way, I feel we should be superior to most teams in this division, but we are not showing it, and Adams as manager is ultimately responsible

Last edited by a moderator:
morty

morty

Staff member
On yet another long journey home, with no points to show for it.

Sorry Neil, but you are looking very out of your depth. The board need to have a chat, methinks.

KeiranShikari

KeiranShikari

Other than Gunn in McNally's honeymoon period I have never seen us act swiftly when it comes to changing a manager.

It won't happen.

Dandy Mountfarto

Dandy Mountfarto

Other than Gunn in McNally's honeymoon period I have never seen us act swiftly when it comes to changing a manager.

It won't happen.
I would say there's even less chance than usual of Adams being sacked because the board essentially staked their reputation on him.

The Great Mass Debater

The Great Mass Debater

Neil can still turn this round. Unfortunately there isnt much evidence to suggest he will

T

Trevmuttley

The board need to do something pretty quick or we can kiss goodbye to going back to the land of money.

K

Killiecanary

It could've been us...

3362837.jpg
No thanks. Horrible man with a horrible philosophy. I am just about out of patience with Neil, but never wanted Lennon here.

We have a potentially good squad, who have no organisation, no shape, don't seem to know their responsibilities when we don't have the ball and odd team selection?...is it just me or is this crying out for Pulis? (And no, never in a million years did I ever think i would be saying that!)

Status
Not open for further replies.