By using Norwichtalk.com services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

Poppy bullying.

morty

morty

Staff member
The poppy is a symbol of remembrance, primarily for the allied losses in the two great wars by allies of many countries, by men of all colours and religions. It is also a symbol of the freedom that was won, through great sacrifice.

So it pains me to see it's ethos and symbolism hijacked by various people for their own reasons. It is fast becoming, the same way the Union flag did, a right wing symbol. And it has also become a bullying battleground for ignorants. Do I like the reasons that James McClean uses to justify the reason for not wearing a poppy? No, I do not. But I accept his freedom to make that decision, however skewed his reasons are. The same goes for Matic, though I do accept his reason more than McClean's, but that is my decision. The point is though, why should these people have to even justify their decision? Why has the general public turned into Nazis about it? (there is a certain irony there) You just need to look at the Daily Mail, and it's attempts to trigger the mouth breathers with several stories "calling out" people who aren't wearing a poppy.

What the hell is wrong with people, especially the moron pictured below.

PAY-MAIN-Anti-Mosque-Demonstration-Bolton.jpg

Fenway Frank

Fenway Frank

Never seen that photo before, what a dickhead

morty

morty

Staff member
Never seen that photo before, what a dickhead
There is a disturbing link that has been formed that if you don't wear a poppy you are Anti British (though this is the case with the likes of James McClean, it isn't the case with everyone) so this is seized upon by the far right. Which are the very types that soldiers died trying to stop the proliferation of.

Yeah, they guy in the pic above has his ideologies a wee bit confused!

OldRobert

OldRobert

I have given up trying to analyse the plethera of dickheads that have multiplied over the last few years. I fear it is my age, where I can no longer get overly agitated because if I did I would spend my latter years red in the face, gasket blowing and for what. No bugger is going to listen to me anyway, so why waste my breathe. They are not worth it.:p

morty

morty

Staff member
I have given up trying to analyse the plethera of dickheads that have multiplied over the last few years. I fear it is my age, where I can no longer get overly agitated because if I did I would spend my latter years red in the face, gasket blowing and for what. No bugger is going to listen to me anyway, so why waste my breathe. They are not worth it.:p
I think you are right, society has developed into ways that are just ridiculous. Right wing nutters spurred on by Brexit, the terminally offended, the people who have nothing to do with the terminally offended, but get offended on their behalf anyway. Absolutely nonsensical issues over "isms" Racism, sexism etc.

I fear for the future of the human race, I really do lol.

Canaryboy

Canaryboy

Well forcing people to wear the poppy and for everybody to think, believe and act the same would appear to be the complete opposite to what the poppy stands for.

But James McLean is also an attention seeking knobhead who doesn't simply opt out of wearing a poppy and turning his back on the English flag etc but makes a big song and dance about it every time, whilst happily emigrating to England to take English pounds because he's too shit to make the same money in other European leagues and was rejected by Celtic.

Its half a dozen of one and half a dozen of the other, McLean courts the controversy and stirs up the knuckle draggers. He apparently walked out of the tunnel to take his seat on the bench in the middle of the minutes silence, which Stoke fans seem to think was intentional because he's a pathetic attention seeking prick.

All McLean has had to do from the very start (years ago) was to wear a white poppy and say nothing about it ever, people would have got the point, save all his political pot stirring for his post-retirement book.... the one nobody outside of Derry and Glasgow would buy.

Last edited:
Canaryboy

Canaryboy

To add to that.... I suspect there are footballers who are huge Tory's, or huge Brexiteers, or huge Corbynites (although not many of those, suspect they are precious about the top rate of tax),or huge remainers, or even fucking supporters of the Islamic State.... but they all pipe down about it because they know that the newspaper headlines and inevitable backlash would be a huge distraction from their job, and detrimental to their form, and wouldn't be in any way beneficial to their careers or in the best interest of their employer, and they know better than to divide fan opinion of them based on anything non-football related.

With Stoke in 15th and with a huge wage bill, do they really need this do you think? Its bad enough that they are stuck playing McLean big wages when he's utter shite and has been kept out of the side by an out of position Saido Berahinho in recent weeks... he's paid good money to do a simple job, not to use his club as a platform to air his political views. I wouldn't be best pleased if we had a player who had a huge pro-EU political statement once per season on match day and ended up being abused by the Daily Telegraph and Daily Express, praised by the Independent and The Guardian, and subsequently hated by half of their own fans and targeted by trolls on twitter..... especially if that player was shit and we were 15th.

Just wear the fucking white poppy and shut your cake hole, become a political activist or even an actual politician when you are no longer getting paid to be a full time professional footballer.

Matic seems to manage to just not wear one with a bit of class and without making an arse out of himself.

Last edited:
Canaryboy

Canaryboy

I think you are right, society has developed into ways that are just ridiculous. Right wing nutters spurred on by Brexit, the terminally offended, the people who have nothing to do with the terminally offended, but get offended on their behalf anyway. Absolutely nonsensical issues over "isms" Racism, sexism etc.

I fear for the future of the human race, I really do lol.

I'm more concerned about automation to be honest... Read an article last week about how 30% of jobs will be automated by 2030, another which listed the towns and cities which will be most affected, my nearest big town was on the list.

Went into work today (I'm a temp) to be informed that my entire team was obselete and will be made redundant because they'd got somebody to write some software which did their entire job for them at the press of a button.

Thankfully 5 days ago I was offered and accepted a better permanent job at a rival, I'm glad the redundancies didn't happen a week earlier as I'd have flopped big time at the interview because of the added element of pressure / an air of desperation.

I worry for future generations to be honest, but its technology which scares me.... not the weird snowflakes. Although living in a working class Northern town where lots of people seem to drink strong bitter and play rugby.... perhaps I'm not exposed as much to glittery unicorns and people with multiple genders or whatever.

Fenway Frank

Fenway Frank

Haha I wouldn't say normal, but I am happily sliding into my later years in the form of Victor Meldrew :)
Ah, the Meldrew stage :). Give it some time and you get to the acceptance, or “ I can’t be bothered to get worked up about it any more “ stage ;)