By using Norwichtalk.com services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

Ryan Bennett - 3 Year Deal

Bethnal Yellow and Green

Bethnal Yellow and Green

Bennett looked much better playing alongside Turner than he did alongside Bassong last season.

I think that Bennett & Turner partnership kept a few clean sheets last season, at Stoke away they were excellent.

If we did go up and the manager (whoever that is) decides he wants to invest in better players, then isn't it better to get a million or so back for him? Rather than release him on a free? Have let too many contracts expire in recent years for players who would have commanded a fee of some sort. 
I don't agree he was good away to Stoke, that game actually sticks in my mind and one of his poorer ones. He consistently gave the ball away by coming out of defence and playing a poor 10 yard pass. This is my main issue with Bennett, he is relatively quick, decent in the air and strong - he could be a good defender, but he hasn't developed at all in the last two years - he still backs off defenders, he still gets caught sitting too deep and he still loses possession too often.

The problem with loading up players with long contracts, and relatively well paid ones (as Norwich will surely do as one of the 'bigger' teams in the Championship) is that if Norwich go up and they do want to sell, no one who wants Bennett will be able to match his wages. Especially as they will almost certainly all get wage increases due to promotion. This is why players like Fox, Martin etc couldn't be sold, despite being obviously surplus to requirements, as no one was prepared to match what they were earning.

The small amount of money Norwich could earn in fees selling to the Championship is almost certainly less than the value of the players contract.

Hopefully he'll go on to prove me wrong, but I just don't see him progressing. The fact he is behind part-time centre back Russell Martin in Adams' eyes says a lot to me.

admin

admin

Administrator
Staff member
I don't agree he was good away to Stoke, that game actually sticks in my mind and one of his poorer ones. He consistently gave the ball away by coming out of defence and playing a poor 10 yard pass. This is my main issue with Bennett, he is relatively quick, decent in the air and strong - he could be a good defender, but he hasn't developed at all in the last two years - he still backs off defenders, he still gets caught sitting too deep and he still loses possession too often.

The problem with loading up players with long contracts, and relatively well paid ones (as Norwich will surely do as one of the 'bigger' teams in the Championship) is that if Norwich go up and they do want to sell, no one who wants Bennett will be able to match his wages. Especially as they will almost certainly all get wage increases due to promotion. This is why players like Fox, Martin etc couldn't be sold, despite being obviously surplus to requirements, as no one was prepared to match what they were earning.

The small amount of money Norwich could earn in fees selling to the Championship is almost certainly less than the value of the players contract.

Hopefully he'll go on to prove me wrong, but I just don't see him progressing. The fact he is behind part-time centre back Russell Martin in Adams' eyes says a lot to me.
Elliott Ward and Leon Barnett could both be described as good Championship centre backs, who weren't good enough for the Premier League, they took us up last time around.

And we got a fee for Leon Barnett, although undisclosed and probably negligible.  

Yellowfuture

Yellowfuture

I don't rate him, and feel giving him a long term contract is a mistake.

He hasn't developed at all since coming to Norwich and is yet to show he is anything more than an average defender (IMO). Whilst he'll be okay in the Championship, if Norwich get promoted they will have to keep paying a player not good enough for that level. A player who could potentially be on wages prohibitively high to be able to sell him.

Not sure he has had a fair crack of the whip to be honest Bethnal. It was a big step up for a young man when he came here and playing centre half at a high level is something that has to be learned. When he first came he was then loaned back to Peterborough then when he did come back he had a good little run in the team, got a few man of the match awards as I recall and scored a few goals?

Let's face it, under Hughton how many players did develop, I would argue none other than perhaps Redmond.

I think Lambert has a pretty good eye for young players and IMO Benno has loads more to give to the club and this is a great deal for us.

Last edited by a moderator:
Danhammond1612

Danhammond1612

This was very good news today. I rate him and I would like to see him play 30-40 games this season so he can realise his potential. He should of played more games last season especially when our other centre backs were completely out of form (bassong). Hopefully adams will give him a chance!

admin

admin

Administrator
Staff member
The users Waveney Canary and Keels881 have been given an irrevocable lifetime ban for being the same person, associated IP addresses and email addresses have been added to the block list. Users who create multiple identities to troll and flame are not tolerated. Nothing else to add. 

splutcho

splutcho

This whole situation has made my day.

But anyway, back on topic, it remains to be seen if this is good news. He REALLY needs to push on this season, because he hasn't improved at all in a City shirt and is now getting to the point where you can't just keep saying he has potential. He needs to back it up.

admin

admin

Administrator
Staff member
This whole situation has made my day.

But anyway, back on topic, it remains to be seen if this is good news. He REALLY needs to push on this season, because he hasn't improved at all in a City shirt and is now getting to the point where you can't just keep saying he has potential. He needs to back it up.
It is a shame because Keels881 seemed like an alright guy, and had just submitted a decent blog post about the Wolves game. But I'm a webmaster not a shrink, can't help with his multiple personality disorder. 

Warren Hill

Warren Hill

With regard to Ryan Bennett, didn't we break our then transfer record to sign him? I have always found him inconsistent but with a consummate amount of promise. The problem I guess, is how long you give a player to fulfill that promise. 

I can understand us safeguarding against him leaving on a free given prior investment and certainly as somebody (Admin?) pointed out, Barnett and Ward were enough to get us promoted previously, Ryan Bennett is comparable although perhaps not totally favourably at this point. 

Maybe Bennett/Turner/Martin can grow as a defensive unit but it will take a long, LONG while to erase that day at Craven Cottage from my mind, we lost 0-5 and they were, along with Marc Tierney, all at sea. 

I still feel we need to strengthen at both centre back and at right back, the thought of Martin at CB and Whittaker at RB gives me kittens and I still insist that Bassong is the best CB at the club and that IF we are - which we must be - paying him, then we should look to utilise him. 

Shame about WC/K881 - the blog was interesting, I didn't agree entirely but that's exactly what blogs are all about. 

Reactions: ZLF
ZLF

ZLF

48 appearances is hardly not getting a fair crack.  He is a limited player and it says everything about the defenders we have that Seb, even allowing for last seasons dip,  remains the best cb we have had at the club over the 5-10 years or so.

We do need 4 cb,   without seb (cold shoulder lane means he wont appear) having 2 actual centre backs is not enough - so securing Ryan is a prudent thing to do,   but does say a lot about the clubs priorities in signing a mediocre cb on a long term contract;  like johnson he is simply not good enough.

And on the admin / waveney debate I am pretty sure that is how carrowroad.net became what it is now.

skijumptoes

skijumptoes

While Bassong frustrated me last year, i 100% agree that he's one of the most talented CB's we've had for years.  It's just his attitude, boy! It's not like he's got a bad attitude but he seems to just switch off at pivotal moments, or lose interest.  He's a bit of a joker in interviews, or when the camera is on him so i imagine there's a deep thinker in there.

Bennett was superb for peterborough though, he will be great this season, he doesn't take any crap and wants to be a leader which are all admirable qualities in a CB.

Fenway Frank

Fenway Frank

Isn't it a bit strange though that Russ Martin appears to be ahead of him for CB ?

Fenway Frank

Fenway Frank

1) You are getting on admin's nerves (holds a fair bit of weight).

2) Are by far and away the most moderated user so far, with the most posts deleted, and the only recipient of a moderator warning (almost all of our moderator logs relate to you).

3) You probably won't last here very long (in fact, definitely won't).

4) And that includes the other account that you have here (oops!)

5) Yes, that one, the one you think I don't know about (you aren't as smart as you think).

I know we don't want to harp on about this but can I just say I love point 5  :D

Branston Pickle

Branston Pickle

Looks like I missed some excitement!

I rather like Bennett, he has put in some pretty decent performances and doesn't seem as prone to mistakes as some. I for one am glad to see him extend his contract, hopefully others will follow.

LongStrattonCanary

LongStrattonCanary

I'm quite surprised that Ryan Bennett has signed a new deal, really. I do really like him as a player and he does have great potential but he is prone to making a number of sloppy mistakes. He's our 3rd best centre back and is better than Martin when he plays at centre back (FYI - I do think Bassong is still our best CB when he was fully committed).

skijumptoes

skijumptoes

We'll all be singing Martin's praises again when he plays in the division, seen so much negative posted towards him and he's a solid performer who bleeds yellow - you watch!

Canaryboy

Canaryboy

We'll all be singing Martin's praises again when he plays in the division, seen so much negative posted towards him and he's a solid performer who bleeds yellow - you watch!
I really rate him as a top Championship right back, just have my reservations about him converting into a centre back and don't see the need. 

Still, only take another injury to Whittaker for us to see him back there. 

skijumptoes

skijumptoes

Season before last i thought he was superb at CB in spells, remembering all those time he threw himself in front of the ball to save our backsides.

I get your point though, and it is odd that he's preferred over a Turner/Bennett partnership, let alone Bassong being frozen out (For other reasons of course).

But i can't think of a more committed player than Martin at the club right now, and i think it's important that he's in the side also.  I think it says more about the belief that Adams has in Whittaker to put him in the RB spot over Martin, he obviously has great admiration for how Whittaker can carry the ball up the pitch and values that asset hugely.

I just don't think you can wrong with Martin, and maybe it's that element which makes Adams feels that he's got to be in there somewhere, and the decision for him to slot in at CB is based on going forwards, with a lesser concern in defence (i.e. Whittaker being the sacrifice).

That or i'm overthinking it :)

splutcho

splutcho

Good defenders don't have to constantly throw themselves infront of the ball and make last ditch tackles, because they've already anticipated the danger and dealt with it earlier.

skijumptoes

skijumptoes

World class defenders have to do it all the time (Think two of our best in recent years - Rio, John Terry etc.),CB makes you the last line of defence so by default you're in the position where anticipation IS the difference between making last ditch tackles and/or throwing your body in front of the ball.

And i love that, i wouldn't want to watch a game whereby defending was solely the art of Interception.

Yellow Fever

Yellow Fever

Great news. Ryan is still young for a CB but he has a great future.