By using Norwichtalk.com services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

Time to blood the younguns

C

Canary World

Little left to play for now this season

Would you drop the likes of tettey,Wes,pinto etc and play some of the under 23s to try them out at this level? I don't see the downside to it

morty

morty

Staff member
Agree with the principal however all the youngsters that are theoretically close to the first team are already out on loan getting matches.

Obviously you would be looking at the likes of Fonkeu and Abrahams, both strikers, but I don't think they are quite there yet. You could look at the young lad Power who we bought recently, who is supposed to be very pacey as a possible, but I think he is still pretty raw.

I would expect Phillips, Godfrey and Morris to be involved next season once they come back from loan.

Obviously we are seeing the lad Todd Cantwell starting to be involved, but I can't see more than sub appearances for now, as an attacking midfielder he has a few decent players to get past.

Canaryboy

Canaryboy

Same as Morty, I don't see who we'd drop Pinto and Tettey for.

Wes is a bit part player anyway.

I do think we need to bring in a right back and give Pinto a rest however, and if we signed somebody like Morsy I wouldn't be against just letting Tettey leave now for a few hundred grand.

morty

morty

Staff member
Same as Morty, I don't see who we'd drop Pinto and Tettey for.

Wes is a bit part player anyway.

I do think we need to bring in a right back and give Pinto a rest however, and if we signed somebody like Morsy I wouldn't be against just letting Tettey leave now for a few hundred grand.
For about 5 or 6 games now Pinto has really, really looked like a man who needs a rest. We have a run of Saturday to Saturday games coming up with no midweek, so hopefully that will benefit everyone.

OldRobert

OldRobert

I know Tettey committed a right rickett yesterday, but we are a better side with him in it. Personally I'd like him here for another year, he could help the younger players coming in as well.

morty

morty

Staff member
I know Tettey committed a right rickett yesterday, but we are a better side with him in it. Personally I'd like him here for another year, he could help the younger players coming in as well.
Trouble is that cuts off the path for Godfrey to come into the team. Or marginalises Trybull. I heard a rumour that we have an option to sign Reid at the end of the season.

hogesar

hogesar

I think Wes might actually see more game time in the second half of the season. Looked good against Chelsea whilst him and Vrancic had a big impact on the game yesterday.

OldRobert

OldRobert

Tettey and Trybull are surely our best DM. Since they have been playing together we started to stop, in the main, behaving like idiots defensively.

morty

morty

Staff member
I think Wes might actually see more game time in the second half of the season. Looked good against Chelsea whilst him and Vrancic had a big impact on the game yesterday.
Trouble is how to play him? I think he is a lot, lot less effective off the bench, but he can't last a whole game. Not ideal.

morty

morty

Staff member
Tettey and Trybull are surely our best DM. Since they have been playing together we started to stop, in the main, behaving like idiots defensively.
Oh I agree, but Tettey isn't getting any younger, and his knee problems are well publicised, also the fact he is on good money. Another year and you run the risk of him spending a lot of it in the treatment room.

OldRobert

OldRobert

Trouble is how to play him? I think he is a lot, lot less effective off the bench, but he can't last a whole game. Not ideal.
Wes is surely only a bit part player now. I agree he was influential against Chelsea and to a lesser degree yesterday, but prior to those 2 games he had done very little when he'd played.

OldRobert

OldRobert

Oh I agree, but Tettey isn't getting any younger, and his knee problems are well publicised, also the fact he is on good money. Another year and you run the risk of him spending a lot of it in the treatment room.

Then when fit he plays when he isn't he helps the youngsters. As far as money is concerned he might, stress might, take less for another year here. After all he must be fairly settled, been here long enough.

N

Number 9

Then when fit he plays when he isn't he helps the youngsters. As far as money is concerned he might, stress might, take less for another year here. After all he must be fairly settled, been here long enough.

Hasn't he already been talking about a summer move?
Obviously that could easily be trying to inflate a new contract.
If he stays next year but can't play every game, there is an obvious route in for Godfrey.

morty

morty

Staff member
Hasn't he already been talking about a summer move?
Obviously that could easily be trying to inflate a new contract.
If he stays next year but can't play every game, there is an obvious route in for Godfrey.
It depends what Godfrey has been told really. The lad is excellent, and ready to play at this level, rumour was that a few Premiership clubs were sniffing round him. If he has been told he will have first team football here next season, then Tettey staying could well change the dynamic of that, and also how attractive the prospect is.

Din

Din

Yeah as said above the youngsters who we expect to be in and around the team next season are all out on loan playing games already. All of them are impressing as well.

Whilst it's almost certain we won't be going up or down, we still don't want this season to fizzle out. It'd be nice if we could end the season on a bit of a high and get some good results in the next 3 months or so. To do that we have to play our best team, which involves Tettey, Pinto etc.

On Pinto, as the OP suggests I've seen a few implying that he could be one to leave at the end of the season because of his high wages. Thing is though I can't see him being on that much money, considering he came from the Ukranian league and almost certainly had a relegation clause in his contract regarding his wages. Plus considering how loved he is around the club I can't see him leaving, and I'm surprised that some have been suggesting it.

OldRobert

OldRobert

Not sure that all the youngsters that are out on loan have been impressing Din, some certainly. Little doubt that some will be discarded at the end of the season as not going to make the grade, especially as the finances get even tighter. Totally agree re Pinto, even more as he is our one and only RB atm.