By using Norwichtalk.com services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

Anyone been to any games abroad ?

Canaryboy

Canaryboy

Just bought my ticket for FC Cologne vs Inglostadt, Bundesliga 2.

Tried to get a seat where I can see the ultras, but most of the best ones gone.... cost me 34 euros, could have got cheaper.

Exciting stuff!

Canaryboy

Canaryboy

ps. It looks like I've been very lucky and purchased a ticket in a beer area, just looked at the stadium plan and two of the lower tiers have no beer :D - my ticket will be delivered to my house for 4 euros within 7 days.

Canaryboy

Canaryboy

A few notes about my experience of a game in Germany.....

1). I got the tram to the ground from the centre, and all modes of public transport to the ground was free on match day!

2). I could drink beer at my seat, and they had these guys going around on the concourse with pre-poured beer to avoid the queues at the bars, such a good idea. Not sure if they went up to the seated area like American sports or not, because I went down to the concourse. Presumably these are paid commission like programme sellers at Carrow Road for each pint they sell. This meant I didn't even have to queue for a beer at half time.

3). As for programmes, there wasn't one. There was a four or six page booklet with key information in it e.g. squads etc, and they got dished out for free as you walked into the ground.

4). At no stage did I ever get told to sit down.

5). The ultras / rowdy area was terraces, proper terraces. That part of the ground had netting in front of it, presumably to prevent flares or projectiles entering the field of play.

6). They sold beer OUTSIDE the ground too.

7). Huge police presence despite only about 100 away fans for this game, found that a bit weird but then nothing in Germany is understaffed is it.... I did wonder whether there are incidents of rival fans just hijacking the bits around the ground on matchdays for a tear up though? E.g. if Dusseldorf were playing miles away some of their fans might turn up for a ruck? Only way I can explain 6 police horses being present for this fixture.

8). The chanting is very organised and led by a few guys at the front of the terraces who don't really watch the game. Seen similar in Italy and Turkey in the past. E.g. the flags didn't actually go up until half way through the first half, prompted by a specific chant. Then they stayed up until the end of the match. Before the game was a 5 minute long German song, their equivalent of Never Walk Alone.

9). Very random but every fan got a free packet of crisps. Not sure if this was a one off promo, or because of a sponsorship deal, or just an FC Koln tradition.... but if I had to bet then I'd say probably a promo.

10). Apart from a momentary groan, the fans didn't stop singing when they went 1-0 down at home to a team much further down the table to them!

I've got photos and videos which I'll share at some stage. Really enjoyable experience.....

Last edited:
Fenway Frank

Fenway Frank

I think the free transport with a match ticket happens at most clubs which is a good idea. Sounds like you had a good time, how where the German fans with you or did you keep quiet all afternoon? :)
Would love to see photos etc

Canaryboy

Canaryboy

I think the free transport with a match ticket happens at most clubs which is a good idea. Sounds like you had a good time, how where the German fans with you or did you keep quiet all afternoon? :)
Would love to see photos etc

I met several tourists who were going to the game so I think to be honest they just expect a load of tourists at every home fixture, so fine.... plus their website has a button to read in English so their ticketing portal caters for international fans!

I believe even their anthem says something about Koln fans coming from all over the place.

Cologne is a top tourist destination though isn't it and has lots of international conferences / events, perhaps would be different at a club in somewhere more off the beaten track.... Dresden or Leipzig or something?

But I also sat in with the ultras at Fiorentina and I think they just found my presence amusing in fairness.

Fenway Frank

Fenway Frank

Not football related but Cologne cathedral is massive isn’t it ? Did we deliberately try to miss it in WWII or were we just bad shots ?

Canaryboy

Canaryboy

Not football related but Cologne cathedral is massive isn’t it ? Did we deliberately try to miss it in WWII or were we just bad shots ?

It was hit by a few bombs but rumoured that it wasn't flattened because it served as a good landmark for other frequent targets including the train station next door :p

Yes its huge... biggest I've been to is Milan though, and most impressive I've been to is Florence.

All of them make me feel a little bit sick though, when you consider how much literal poverty there must have been in the local civilian populations... the treasury beneath the Cologne cathedral is something else!

Fenway Frank

Fenway Frank

Ok, flights, hotel and match tickets bought for Dortmund v Union Berlin in the German cup. I am officially very excited :)

Fenway Frank

Fenway Frank

9E3757B3-DBA1-415F-BB36-CA83E22CC3EA.jpeg

Canaryboy

Canaryboy

An overseas game as a tourist is probably the only time a half and half scarf is acceptable :p

I did buy one from a street vendor at the Adam Drury testimonial for my dad, as he's always been both a Norwich and Celtic fan since a kid.

Fenway Frank

Fenway Frank

Ok, I could go on about this for ages but I’ll sum things up, my experience seems to have been similar to canaryboy

1- Beer. So much beer. Outside the ground loads of kiosks selling beer for 2.5 or 3 Euro. Inside, you could get a cardboard beer carrier which meant you could carry six at once ! I’ve never seen so much beer at a football match.

2- Lots of police about, German policewomen are quite fit

3- The supporters. The Union Berlin fans started singing about an hour before kick off, and other than a pause when they conceded a goal they just didn’t stop. This includes half time, they were so impressive and makes English support look pretty poor in comparison.

4- Jason Sancho has got some serious skills.

5- The sudtribune is massive ! Around 23k fans behind the goal. We did the stadium tour and when you go on it the floor is sticky because of all the spilt beer. Did I mention all the beer ?

6- Finally for now, the Dortmund fans I spoke to were a nice bunch, I would love to see a champions league match there. I would really recommend it, Dortmund itself is t exactly a tourist destination but that’s not why you go there. I’ll stick a few photos on here over the next few days.

Fenway Frank

Fenway Frank

And yes, I bought a half and half scarve, my first one ever but it’s a great momento :)