By using Norwichtalk.com services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

Bassong fails trial at Dutch 2nd tier side...

Canaryboy

Canaryboy

For not being fit enough!

I kept saying in his final season here when people we saying that they would rather see Bassong than Bennett that he looked well off the pace when he featured and was clearly unfit and overweight.

What a loser that bloke is!

Canaryboy

Canaryboy

I mean i wouldnt say loser. Had a better career than Bennett likely ever will.

In his final season with us he looked really out of shape, like a stone overweight, and so wasn't seen from December onwards apart from one league game in March.

So he's basically washed up by 30 and now too unfit to win a contract anywhere. To be honest I do think he's a bit of a loser and he was always the one I was most looking forward to us saying goodbye to.... "what a loser he became" then?

I'm still curious about Mulumbu though, a couple of games he looked really good and I do wonder whether if given a proper run in the side to build some momentum he would have been a revelation, seemed to be in one game and out the next and never given a run of say 5 games to find any form. He had obvious pedigree and after a season at Kilmarnock has been linked to all sorts of moves!

G

GJP

He hit his peak, made his money and came down the other side. Happens.

Could say good on the guy for still trying to play.

Canaryboy

Canaryboy

He hit his peak, made his money and came down the other side. Happens.

Could say good on the guy for still trying to play.

I just don't like him, so I wouldn't do that.

We had Bennett and Martin playing frequently at the back, quite damning that he couldn't even force his way into that defence and in his brief appearances it was evident that he'd not kept himself in very good physical shape. He was a complete let down towards the end.

15 months and several failed trials later, the latest failing on his fitness levels... just sort of serves to reinforce the perception that I had of towards the end.

Never did understand the criticism that you'd constantly give to Bennett whilst advocating a Bassong return. Yes the former was a liability, but at least he made himself available, which is effectively what Bassong didn't do by failing to stay in shape.

G

GJP

Bassong is naturally a better player, basically. And his best for us was significantly better than Bennett's.

Canaryboy

Canaryboy

Bassong is naturally a better player, basically. And his best for us was significantly better than Bennett's.

I agree with that, was just pretty annoyed that he was so out of shape and therefore clearly useless when we needed him most. I don't believe that was his natural end, just think he'd made his money in the game and lost his hunger.... for football that is, clearly not for food.

Us going with Bennett was Bassong's failure in my opinion, how couldn't you dislodge him that year!