By using Norwichtalk.com services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

Bonds for the academy

Fenway Frank

Fenway Frank

Don’t see the problem with this. Yes, they’re unsecured but that’s a pretty healthy return I reckon although as usual some are using it as a new stick to beat the club with

morty

morty

Staff member
I see no problem with it either, and shall be investing, I haven't decided how much yet. You can't punish the current regime for mistakes by the previous one. And for clarification, this isn't about the board, its about the people the board employ to make these decisions. And also folk can wail all they like saying "Why didn't we spend this money on Colney when we were in the Premiership" but they will likely be the very same people who were demanding we spen more and more money on players to try and retain Premiership status.

Like you say, the usual folk are using this as another stick....interesting to see a thread on the other place asking who is in, and it is full of miserable, bitter bar stewards :D

Some figures swiped from a facebook post :- For anyone with the money to " lose" for 5 years it is a sound investment as £500 returns you £138 in cash & £62 in Club Credit. For £500 invested in an Isa over the same time period you'd get around £113...

Fenway Frank

Fenway Frank

I don’t get the logic of people saying the club should just pay for it. If they came out and said we can’t afford a decent striker because the money has been spent on Colney they would go nuts

Ginja

Ginja

I'll be putting some money into this, think it's a pretty nice idea, the investment is fairly low risk, the extra club credit interest is nice, if you've got some spare savings that aren't doing much in a standard account or ISA then it could help pay a nice chunk of your season ticket, win-win. Not to mention if we are fortunate enough to get promoted, 25% is a very generous bonus.

No doubt if we'd spent this money whilst we were in the Premier League people would have complained we weren't investing in the team, it's easy with hindsight to say we could have not bought RVW or Naismith but at the time trying to stay in the Premier League was the plan and they did what they thought was best and it didn't work out. No point getting worked up over things that can't be changed, we have to deal with the realities of our current situation not wallow in bitterness of past mismanagement,

morty

morty

Staff member
I'll be putting some money into this, think it's a pretty nice idea, the investment is fairly low risk, the extra club credit interest is nice, if you've got some spare savings that aren't doing much in a standard account or ISA then it could help pay a nice chunk of your season ticket, win-win. Not to mention if we are fortunate enough to get promoted, 25% is a very generous bonus.

No doubt if we'd spent this money whilst we were in the Premier League people would have complained we weren't investing in the team, it's easy with hindsight to say we could have not bought RVW or Naismith but at the time trying to stay in the Premier League was the plan and they did what they thought was best and it didn't work out. No point getting worked up over things that can't be changed, we have to deal with the realities of our current situation not wallow in bitterness of past mismanagement,
Wise words, and welcome aboard!

Ginja

Ginja

They always have plenty to say about us, really shows how sad their situation is when the biggest threads and talking points is us. I suppose when it's been 17 years since your club has done anything of note it's easier to look outward and criticise than hold up a mirror to their miserable existence.

hogesar

hogesar

I like it. It's far better than anything I thought they'd come up with.

Canaryboy

Canaryboy

Ha, I suggested a "bond" after Ed Balls made that video.

If we also now sign Joselu from Granada I'll have to send the club an invoice for consultancy services.

Canaryboy

Canaryboy

I won't be investing because I'm skint, and if we don't win promotion in the next couple of years I can see them coming back cap in hand asking people to 'donate back their club credit' or 'extend the bond for an extra 0.5%' or something, but it beats asking people for free money. That was never going to work because last time the directors got their loans back after 'matching' donations, and fans didn't.

Only other option was a share offering, although I don't think that would be very effective now because most people who just wanted a few shares for the novelty already have them.

Will be interesting to see whether there is sufficient uptake, times are pretty tough for many people with the rising cost of living, stagnate wages, rising household debt, and a fair bit of uncertainty for a lot of people (loads of retailers entering administration).

Dubai Mark

Dubai Mark

Yes, I think this is a great idea, a decent investment opportunity and if I had the cash right now would probably invest myself.

However, I personally feel that the Ownership and Board of our club, who I am usually pretty supportive of, have clearly managed the situation very badly in respect of financing the Academy for it to come to this.......................When considering the total amount of money received from the Premier League over recent years, I find it staggering that the money for the Academy was not set aside, even already invested and the upgraded facilities being used.........Balls up comes to mind!

morty

morty

Staff member
So you would have been happy with money being diverted away from the first team squad, while we were trying to avoid relegation then?

G

GJP

Got the cash but it's a no from me. I won't be investing. I'm out.

David Evans

David Evans

Yeah, hi ginja, have you been lurking or just taken the plunge and jumped in ?
I've been lurking a while, had an account before a few years back (now got the correct login) was initially was going to post something on the pinkun but after reading the initial thread I'd prefer to contribute here in future.

Will be interesting to see whether there is sufficient uptake...
Interesting news on that front I've heard from last nights meeting that the board has one individual investor putting in £1.5m with further pledges of £1m already lined up, which is absolutely fantastic news if it is true

Last edited:
hogesar

hogesar

So you would have been happy with money being diverted away from the first team squad, while we were trying to avoid relegation then?

I think everyone was happy with the concept of putting all our money into the first team squad. Although on reflection i'm not sure that it's fair to label that at fans, because it's not like we were all told "Look, Colney needs some serious attention, and we could do with spending 4m on it. However, we could put that into the first team instead."

I think most peoples perception was that Colney was pretty decent. I don't recall ever being told otherwise. It was a bit disappointing to hear from Webber that Martin and Wes both said the facilities hadn't changed from when they started at the club.

morty

morty

Staff member
I think everyone was happy with the concept of putting all our money into the first team squad. Although on reflection i'm not sure that it's fair to label that at fans, because it's not like we were all told "Look, Colney needs some serious attention, and we could do with spending 4m on it. However, we could put that into the first team instead."

I think most peoples perception was that Colney was pretty decent. I don't recall ever being told otherwise. It was a bit disappointing to hear from Webber that Martin and Wes both said the facilities hadn't changed from when they started at the club.
It was good enough to attain category one status....

N

Number 9

This 5 year project, is going to be outdated before it's paid for?

morty

morty

Staff member
Well, thats some of my hard earned handed over, lets hope they spend it wisely!

Ginja

Ginja

Ditto morty, I wish there was a way to see the current pledge total like on Kickstarter :p