Bradley gone to Derby

the jarrold

the jarrold

Member
Love him to bits but unfortunately he wasn't quite good enough for the prem last time in my opinion. Hope he does well at Derby. He will be missed by many of us.
 
Canaryboy

Canaryboy

Well-Known Member
Depends on who we replace him with.
I'm working on the assumption that we aren't replacing him until January at least. 

I'd love for there to be an unannounced signing which was faxed to the FA at 17:59pm, but the odds are fairly slim aren't they? 
 
Dubai Mark

Dubai Mark

Active Member
Wiz, I understand that,  he played for the shirt and put in a shift when others withubigger reputation s didn't. . That all said, when I look at the bigger picture I do sort of understand it, but renain gutted. 
 
L

Lavanche

New Member
There is time until 8pm to get complete papers in. You just need to have some pre-papers in at 6pm when window closed. Those deals will most likely announced at morning if they went through.

This is reason why there is always some surprise signings.
 
Boyerboy

Boyerboy

New Member
Yes but,

Bradley  has been off colour since his suspension. He was poor in the playoffs and anonymous at Wembley. 

None if you have mentioned that this season Alex preferred to play Howson on the left only bringing Bradley on if he wanted to take someone off and move Howson across. So, Alex does not rate Bradley as first choice and once Olssen is back probably not even second choice. 

Bradley has done brilliantly and had a halcyon season last year but he was not going to be a main player. It is sad he has gone but on current form not a huge loss. I shall miss him but I understand why he has gone - from both sides. 
 
The Great Mass Debater

The Great Mass Debater

New Member
I have to state my utter disbelief at this. Just got in from work and driving home I was just mad mad mad. 

I dont know why Im upset really, could be a number of things. Id been wanting us to sell Johnson for a decent fee for a while prior to last season, but I cant now believe we've sold our POTS (and vice-captain) down a division for 6m, which is nothing really when you see some of the fees these days. 

I know we went down a level, but I feel we saw something from BJ last season we'd never seen before, not because of the weaker opposition, but because of the positional change. His aerial ability was massive for us last season and moving him from defensive midfielder saw his shot finally become a dangerous weapon. 

We know he can do a good job in the engine room for us if he is reverted to his original position, and who will realistically cover Tettey now, only Mulumbu and O'Neil really, and not sure we'd want Mulumbu in such a restricted role.

We've weakened the squad and I cant really see why. Its not a massive amount of money, we cant buy in a replacement now until January. The only positives being we've weakened our strongest area (though we are thin on that side) and its not to a rival.

I cant really understand why we've fought tooth and nail to keep a sh*t Grabban who doenst want to be here, but allowed one of our most committed and last season effective players to leave.

I think this is a really poor piece of judgement. And sadly, now the window has closed and we know whats what, sadly its not the only one.

One left back, two centre backs, a right-back, and two players one of them borrowed who cant decide if they are centre-backs or right-backs. Thats our defence. One truly left sided player in Brady. 

A crap want-away striker, a good but wont be used want-away striker, Jerome and an unknown quantity in Mbokani up front. And Lafferty.

I think we're going to have serious problems now. I was confident before, now I think we've left ourselves very short of quality in some areas. And I think its possible at the end of all this, taking into account any loan fees, that we might have made a profit in this window (if we dont include the Dorrans fee as this years business).

Rant over. Not happy
 
Canaryboy

Canaryboy

Well-Known Member
Bradley  has been off colour since his suspension. He was poor in the playoffs and anonymous at Wembley. 
True, but Matt Jarvis has been "off colour" for about three years.
 
eatonparkboy

eatonparkboy

New Member
Devastated.

The money sounds good of course but it leaves us short. People can argue his ability in the Prem but the fact remains he played in almost 100 games in three seasons in the Prem.

His detractors can obviously wish him well as a kind of platitude but just maybe he has gone to a better club with more ambition. And maybe a manager who has a pretty good CV as a coach.
 
The Great Mass Debater

The Great Mass Debater

New Member
Devastated.

The money sounds good of course but it leaves us short. People can argue his ability in the Prem but the fact remains he played in almost 100 games in three seasons in the Prem.

His detractors can obviously wish him well as a kind of platitude but just maybe he has gone to a better club with more ambition. And maybe a manager who has a pretty good CV as a coach.
I think they've got him cheap. I know Javier Hernandez went for only 7.8m but I just think 6m is a little short - If we'd have been signing him from a championship club I doubt we'd get him for that money, or indeed if we had lost to Boro and were selling him to a Prem club we'd probably demand more, thats often how championship teams behave.

I think its 2m too cheap. 6m isnt going to get us any points in between now and January, BJ just might have done.

If we'd have done this earlier in the window and put the 6m to good use then I might be less frustrated. But all we've done is copped the money and weakened the team.

Discount the Dorrans deal (as mentally he was last seasons business) there is a good chance we've broken even or made a profit this window. I didnt know we were in such a priveleged position with regards to staying up.

Feel genuinely let down.

The missus also says the ladies wont be happy with us having sold our two best looking players... Maybe Alex Neil felt threatened   :lol:
 
Canaryboy

Canaryboy

Well-Known Member
£6m is a decent enough price, but if we are accepting that for Johnson then its incredulous that we'd reject that for Grabban.

Although I'm glad we did reject that Grabban bid now, because we are having obvious problems attracting players to the club. 

I'm dreading the loan window, which we can't sign players in, our squad now feels threadbare in certain areas. 

I'm even wondering whether we should keep Lafferty now and give him a place in the 25, just until January. 

Surely this means the Hooper deal is off? 
 
Last edited by a moderator:
KeiranShikari

KeiranShikari

New Member
Can we sign players on frees

I presume we can't recall Turner.
 
Din

Din

Well-Known Member
When you take the emotion out of it, Jarvis in for Johnson is an upgrade, and Jarvis suits our current style much better. Plus we have an extra £6m to spend in the next window. Main disappointment for me with the Johnson move is that there wasn't really any indication before today that anyone was even interested, let alone that he'd leave with only a few minutes left of the window. He's a great lad and gave everything for this club while here, and I can't wish him enough luck at Derby. 
 
dj161

dj161

Well-Known Member
ok something has obviously happened behind the scenes here, 'didnt work out', you just won promotion, player of the season and scored 15 goals last season
 
Last edited by a moderator:
The Great Mass Debater

The Great Mass Debater

New Member
ok something has obviously happened behind the scenes here, 'didnt work out', you just won promotion, player of the season and scored 15 goals last season
Agree - that is a seriously weird thing to say for someone whose been an ever-present almost for the last 4 years, 3 Premier League seasons and then as you say, probably his best season winning promotion and getting POTS and being top scoring midfielder in the division.

Seriously weird
 
Canaryboy

Canaryboy

Well-Known Member
When you take the emotion out of it, Jarvis in for Johnson is an upgrade
I very much doubt that signing Jarvis on loan required us to sell our player of the season.

Are people who are calling this an upgrade factoring in our potential relegation this season? We've just sold our player of the season, and Jarvis isn't our player. 

Our transfer policy doesn't feel the slightest bit coherent at the moment, short term thinking which won't necessarily pay off. 

We've probably spent about £5m this summer (net), possibly less by the time we've loaned more players out in a week or so. 

Its difficult for me to view this window in a positive light, we've massively under invested, struggling to see how we can see this summer as positive business. People are pointing at the Mulumbu and Brady signings, but we sold Snodgrass, Fer and Pilkington (who at one stage was a very good player!) upon relegation.

It doesn't feel like we are stronger than last time out at all. I may as well go full on Pink'un, I think we are in for a relegation battle. 
 
I

It's Character Forming

New Member
My guess is that with the number of players we have now in the midfield/wing areas he has just fallen down the pecking order.  We have Tettey Mulumbu Howson Dorrans ONeill Vadis plus Redmond Brady and now Jarvis out wide (have I forgotten anyone?), so if you have 4 spots that those players are basically filling (plus Wes or a 2nd striker normally) I guess he's been made aware he wouldn't get much game time. (I'd still include Vadis because he looked really useful against Rotheram and I'd see the month loan as a way to get him up to full fitness.)

personally I'd say if you look at the quality of his general play especially in attack last season, plus his commitment however tough it gets , I find it surprising and I don't agree with the manager on this one. I think this is a decision we'll probably regret as a club.
 
The Great Mass Debater

The Great Mass Debater

New Member
Three loans in, Mulumbu and Kean on frees. Im not counting Dorrans as his signing was all arranged last season. So that makes Brady at 7m the only player we have spent money on.

Selling BJ for 6m means we've practically broken even

I just dont think thats a good enough investment or a newly promoted side
 

Sit with the City fans who turn up

Free to join, free to read. Introduce yourself, pick a player thread, and get stuck into the next match thread.

Create a free account
Top