Bradley gone to Derby

KeiranShikari

KeiranShikari

New Member
If you remove all of the fees the players are pretty good.

Good enough to keep us up? Hope so.
 
Canaryboy

Canaryboy

Well-Known Member
We would have paid loan fees for those three players.

We've probably spent around £5m net, if we include Dorrans, which is pathetic. 

Derby County have spent £20m. 
 
The Great Mass Debater

The Great Mass Debater

New Member
We might have received loan fees for the players we've loaned out as well though, particularly Wee Willy Winky
 
I

It's Character Forming

New Member
If you can get a player like Mulumbu for free that's fine and in contract he'd have had a decent fee and Mbokani's loan is not really a normal loan signing 

but I agree 100%we are not in a position to have the luxury of weakening our squad in this way, when you look at the financial loss of relegation the money from selling BJ is not worthwhile.

still amazed.
 
Din

Din

Well-Known Member
If you look at Bradley's skillset, compared to Jarvis' then Jarvis certainly looks like an upgrade, and suits our style better. However it is still frustrating that we haven't at least given Johnson until January to prove that he can step up. The thing is it's not even like we needed the money either, as we barely spent anything this window anyway. The main reason I'm annoyed with this is though is purely because of the emotion of it. I love Johnson and I always got the impression that he was yellow and green through and through, he gave his all and was fantastic for us last season. And yet in the space of just a few hours we've accepted a bid and he's gone and there's no explanation for it. 

One thing that also worries me slightly is how the Johnson sale will effect the dressing room. He was clearly a very popular figure with the players. Off the back of a bad performance and defeat I do wonder whether the loss of a big personality like that will have a negative effect on the morale of the remaining players.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
kirku

kirku

New Member
It doesn't feel like we are stronger than last time out at all. I may as well go full on Pink'un, I think we are in for a relegation battle. 
Let's be honest, we were always in for a relegation battle. Practically no amount of investment in this window would've changed that.

With all that said, this window has been an absolute shambles.
 
derehamyella

derehamyella

New Member
a fiend told me two weeks ago Johnson was leaving,  he said Bristol. but that something had gone on and Bradly knew full well he wasn't wanted .. so went .. have we honestly broken even .. recouped what we spent.  with a club debt free where the Fluck is this money going then
 
G

GJP

Well-Known Member
but that something had gone on and Bradly knew full well he wasn't wanted .. 
Probably when they put him on the bench to begin with and then started playing Howson from the left.

Probably also didn't help that they gave Howson a massive contract.
 
Canaryboy

Canaryboy

Well-Known Member
a fiend told me two weeks ago Johnson was leaving,  he said Bristol. but that something had gone on and Bradly knew full well he wasn't wanted .. so went .. have we honestly broken even .. recouped what we spent.  with a club debt free where the Fluck is this money going then
We can be pretty sure that we've spent more than we've received, but if I had to estimate a 'net' transfer spend I'd put it at around £5m. We've spent sod all. 
 
derehamyella

derehamyella

New Member
Febuary I think Johnson signed new contract, meaning more money in the window. as proved.  surprised Howson wasn't sold as wel.   feck me Derby and Bristol spent more than we did.   Watford and Bournemouth have done better business .. 
 
derehamyella

derehamyella

New Member
 turned down a bid of £7 mill for Grabban at 3 minutes to 6  after telling Bournemouth £7mill was acceptable.  I reckon that was because Palarse stopped the Gayle move.   Also  Palarse accepted a lower amount for Murray than what City offered as the player didn't want to come to East Anglia, choosing the seaside instead
 
Canaryboy

Canaryboy

Well-Known Member
I don't really care what other clubs have done in this window, I just think that we had a clear objective to sign a centre back and a (further) striker, and failed on both counts. 

Its frustrating. Remember when Lambert said he'd taken Norwich as far as he could? Well two years of Hughton struggling to attract players, and now Alex Neil struggling to attract players, and I think I'm beginning to understand what he meant. 

He then went to Villa, where he signed Benteke for £7m. Precisely the type of signing that we consistently try but fail to make. 

We do seem to have a major problem attracting talent. Having a manager that nobody has ever heard of probably doesn't help. 

This year has been particularly shocking though, we even seemed to have managed to f*ck up the Dwight Gayle deal ourselves by not selling Grabban to Bournemouth, Palace didn't sell because they sold Murray first and couldn't sign a replacement for Gayle. 

Now, has Eddie Howe done us up like a kipper? Convenient smokescreen, grabs one of our transfer targets, gets to play a Grabban-less Norwich in two weeks time? 
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Canaryboy

Canaryboy

Well-Known Member
 turned down a bid of £7 mill for Grabban at 3 minutes to 6  after telling Bournemouth £7mill was acceptable.  I reckon that was because Palarse stopped the Gayle move.   Also  Palarse accepted a lower amount for Murray than what City offered as the player didn't want to come to East Anglia, choosing the seaside instead
Palace stopped the Gayle move because they'd sold Murray already and would only sell one striker unless they could sign a replacement. 

Either we've stitched ourselves up, or Eddie Howe has stitched us up. 

Its just infuriating, McNally and Neil have both said that we were having trouble attracting players, but that seems like a good reason NOT to place so much faith in things coming together on the very last day of the window.

I don't think we've been intentionally unambitious, I just think the window was a shambles. 
 
Din

Din

Well-Known Member
To be perfectly honest, whilst I'm still frustrated, I think if you look at our business overall we've done fine. The only thing that we've failed at really is getting a new centre back in. At the start of the transfer window if you'd said to me that our 3 main strikers will be Jerome, Mbokani and Hooper then I'd be relatively happy.

Brady and Dorrans have both been regulars so far, and are looking as if they are both terrific signings. Wisdom has only just broken into the side, but looked good I thought off the bench against Southampton, and hopefully he'll now continue to play well and cement his place as the first choice right back ahead of Whittaker. Mulumbu is obviously injured but was impressive in pre-season and will be a good player for us when back. Mbokani is a bit of an unknown but on paper seems to be as good as Jerome. And Kean is a good replacement for Bunn. 

On Johnson/Jarvis as well. Whilst I love Bradley, there were a lot of people saying before the season and throughout the first few games that he doesn't suit the way we play, and although it's disappointing that we didn't give him more time to prove that wrong, in Jarvis we have someone who is much more suited to the way we play, and comes with a good reputation. If we can get the best out of him then we'll have a very special player.

All in all, we're the same team that played so well in those first 3 games, but with Mbokani in, and Jarvis replacing Johnson. As long as the sale of Johnson doesn't cause all of the players to lose a lot of confidence then there's no reason why we can't continue our generally good start to the season against Bournemouth next week, and then kick on from there.
 
Canaryboy

Canaryboy

Well-Known Member
Matt Jarvis had a couple of good seasons at Wolves, became a one cap wonder, and has been sh*te for three consecutive years for West Ham. Why are people excited by that signing? He's a poor mans Stewart Downing, and Downing is currently a Championship player. 

Even Ipswich fans are saying that Bradley Johnson is the best midfielder in the Championship and would improve any Championship team. He's a leader on and off the pitch, and whilst he doesn't have the pace to play out wide in this league, and has already been poor in the anchor man role in this league in our last Premier League season, he is surely above Gary O'Neil in the pecking order and would have been used this season. He was also a regular fixture in our two successful seasons in this league, 11th and 12th place, and is arguably a better player now. 

He has probably requested a transfer, I get that, but that doesn't mean we had to accept his request. Neither did we need to sell him to sign Jarvis. We've also only loaned Jarvis, and may end up in the Championship next season, where we would quickly become Jarvis-less and Johnson-less.

I just don't understand the thought process behind selling your player of the season immediately after promotion, especially one who is such a leader and so well respected amongst peers, its like we've sold our Glenn Whelan, another player of limited ability who makes up in heart what he lacks in natural talent, yet an essential player for Stoke because he's a warrior.

I think Johnson had a place here, and selling him as soon as we've been promoted smacks of arrogance and naivety. If we go down this season then I can't think of a single player I'd want wearing yellow and green more than Johnson in that division. If chances were going to be limited here then perhaps we could have loaned him for a year, we've got no problem borrowing his 'replacement', so what would have been the problem in lending him out? 

At least we'd have him here as an insurance policy against relegation, and dare I say it if Alex Neil is possibly losing the plot a little bit, then perhaps he'd be favoured by a future manager in a different system. I'm reluctant to imply that Alex Neil doesn't know what he is doing, but going into a Premier League season with just 6 defenders in your 25 man squad just seems ludicrous to me, so I'm not ruling that possibility out entirely. 

What is Matt Jarvis good at exactly? In the 2012/2013 season he made the headlines as the player who had "made the most crosses" in the Premier League. Unfortunately he also finished that season with 0 assists, and that was despite Andy Carroll managing 24 games that season. If you are a winger who attempts the most crosses in the division and yet can't find the head of a lanky striker who is famous for being able to do not much else other than score with his head, then you probably aren't very good. 

Anybody care to speculate what Redmond was referring to a couple of hours after the Johnson deal was announced?

I just don't think we've made the right decision here.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
KeiranShikari

KeiranShikari

New Member
Jarvis runs quite fast, draws fouls and crosses a lot. Will be good for when Brady gets tired and we want to put on somebody exactly like Brady.

I do think that Johnson should have been given the chance to prove himself again though. I don't think he's the sort to just give up and I wouldn't put it past him to break back in, To me this does feel like this is something that the board have pushed. 
 
Canaryboy

Canaryboy

Well-Known Member
Can Jarvis play both flanks? If so, handy to have a winger who can come on to replace either one of Brady or Redmond. 
 

Sit with the City fans who turn up

Free to join, free to read. Introduce yourself, pick a player thread, and get stuck into the next match thread.

Create a free account
Top