City v Cambridge United (a)

Din

Din

Well-Known Member
I know you can't read too much into it, but from his tweets Ricky genuinly seems to like this club. This for example about an hour ago:

First game back @NorwichCityFC
Great to be back
Big Thanks to the fans for showing the support down in Cambridge
Cheers..

— RickyvanWolfswinkel (@RvWolfswinkel9)

July 17, 2015

I think he might stay.
 
KeiranShikari

KeiranShikari

New Member
“Ricky is a Norwich player and he will get as much opportunity as anyone else,” he said. “He scored a good goal and then created the second so as far as I am concerned he has had a good night. He is just a wee bit lacking in terms of fitness because he came back slightly later than the other guys. I just made sure he didn’t pick up any injuries which was why he played 58 minutes instead of 60.

Time will tell what happens from here. I have had a good chat with Ricky and as far as I am concerned everything that has gone past, as it had done with the likes of Seb (Bassong), has now gone past. It is irrelevant what other people think of him. All he needs to worry about is what I think of him.”
 
Gaffer

Gaffer

Active Member
Highlights up on youtube. RvW's goal was just a basic tap-in so let's not get carried away but it looks like he had a good game and sounds like AN is willing to give him a chance. If so does that rule out signing a new striker? We need someone who has 10+ Premier League goals in him. AN wants to give the core team from last season a chance so Jerome and Grabban will be given the opportunity to impress. Which of our current strikers is most likely to be the 10+ man? I think Jerome could do it but we may need to splash some cash in January if not.
 
Din

Din

Well-Known Member
RvW's goal was just a basic tap-in so let's not get carried away but it looks like he had a good game.
The thing is though, his game is scoring tap-ins. That's what he's done his whole career, and it was incredibly successful for him up until his move here. It's also ultimately why he failed here. We had a left footer in Snodgrass playing on the right, and a right footer in Redmond playing on the left, so the service into the box was always going to be floated aerial balls, rather than low, hard, whipped balls in that he thrives on. Nowadays we have Redmond on the right, and Johnson on the left (and Brady looking like he'll join soon enough as well, who's a left footer), which would suit him much more. If he had someone more physical who was prepared to do all the gritty, hard work off the ball, such as Jerome, then I think potentially we may get to see the player we paid £8.5m for.

I hate to say it, because I've wanted us to get rid of him ever since we were relegated, but I think maybe the best thing would be to keep him. I'm sure that if there's anyone who could get the best out of him it's Alex Neil. I'd still want us to bring in another striker though, even if he does stay. 
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Dubai Mark

Dubai Mark

Active Member
OK I am lazy, so this is what I put on the other site.......

On RVW, AN is a canny Scot, and for a young manager knows exactly the right thing to say.......and he did just that. Consequently, RVW is probably still the player the club want to get out of the door the most, but in the meantime have probably agreed to be very professional, keep him in the shop window and keep him motivated to play for us just in case we are lumbered with him and get desperate. 
 
Indy_Bones

Indy_Bones

New Member
I've always maintained that RvW can do a good job for us, but only if we provide him with the sort of supply that suits his game, and that sort of supply hasn't been the type that either Hughton, Adams or even AN have really looked to play.

I'd expect that a deal for him to move to Lisbon will likely be completed sometime in the next month, but there's certainly far worse players we could have at the club if it doesn't, and he has maintained his professionalism throughout which has to be credited as well.
 
Wiz

Wiz

New Member
I really do hope that Ricky gets a second bite of the cherry with us like Seb and Wes did, he seems a really genuine nice bloke so fingers crossed tightly.
 
KeiranShikari

KeiranShikari

New Member
OK I am lazy, so this is what I put on the other site.......

On RVW, AN is a canny Scot, and for a young manager knows exactly the right thing to say.......and he did just that. Consequently, RVW is probably still the player the club want to get out of the door the most, but in the meantime have probably agreed to be very professional, keep him in the shop window and keep him motivated to play for us just in case we are lumbered with him and get desperate. 
Would imagine you are right, we did almost sign that Argie guy the other day. Safe to say that Wolf probably won't be a Norwich player come the end of the summer.
 
The Great Mass Debater

The Great Mass Debater

New Member
Paddy Davit tweeted that Alex had a "wee chat" with Wolfie, similar to the one Seb got, and the ball is in his court now.
I really hoped that would happen. Think the Wolf deserves a fresh start in a new set-up. Its up to him to take it. Though most have already recognised its unlikely, surely almost everyone is desperate for him to come good
 
Scott

Scott

Active Member
Glad RvW has had the #weechat treatment, as mentioned above it is up to him to prove himself to the team, the manager and us fans! I'd like to hope he'd stay but I just can't see it happening...think he will be off to pastures new before the start of the season.
 
The Great Mass Debater

The Great Mass Debater

New Member
Why do so many people seem to rate Ryan Bennett? I know this is only a friendly but so often when I see him play he seems not to be that bothered. Too many times you see him mis-time a challenge or make a mistake, but then show absolutely no drive or determination to carry on defending. I've seen him casually jog back when players have beaten him and are running in on goal far too many times, and he doesnt look that bothered when they score. No urgency in his play at all. Not the attitude I like to see from defenders
 
Canaryboy

Canaryboy

Well-Known Member
I know it was a League Two side and basically a fitness exercise, but that has got me a little bit excited about the prospect of RVW being able to come back with a bang.

He looked composed and seems to have bulked up a little unless its just the shirt design? 

I still think he'll be off though. 
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Scott

Scott

Active Member
Why do so many people seem to rate Ryan Bennett? I know this is only a friendly but so often when I see him play he seems not to be that bothered. Too many times you see him mis-time a challenge or make a mistake, but then show absolutely no drive or determination to carry on defending. I've seen him casually jog back when players have beaten him and are running in on goal far too many times, and he doesnt look that bothered when they score. No urgency in his play at all. Not the attitude I like to see from defenders
I don't really rate him, he was supposed to be one of the brightest prospects of a CB in the country, but seems as though attitude and also injuries have hindered him a bit. Didn't see hardly any of him last season due to injury and I don't expect to see much of him this season unless it's on the bench, I actually wouldn't be surprised if he got loaned out.
 
C

Canary World

Member
The wolf put in a good shift. Linked up play well showed class on the ball but again the same of frailty was there he was to easily shoved off the ball. If he is to make it in the prem he needs to muscle up.

That said I seen enough last night to give him another season.

The players also responded well to him and you could tell the fans in the ground were willing him to succeed
 
Indy_Bones

Indy_Bones

New Member
With regards to Ryan Bennett, I'd argue that his development has been slowed by a combination of injuries and insufficient playing time since he joined.

We can't expect a young player to reach his potential if we're simply not going to give them a consistent run of games to do so in, and yet Bennett has left to rot at times whilst the likes of Hooiveld, Cuellar and others got the nod over him.

I do think he could be a prem class defender, and is more likely to get there under AN than most other managers, but at the minute he's got no chance of displacing Bassong or Martin, and if we do sign another CB (e.g. Van Dijk), then he'll be even further down the pecking order.

I'd argue that if he's not going to get anywhere near a first team start this season, we should look to loan him to a champs level club for the season and see how he performs. If he does well then we have a chance of getting the player the potential says was there, if not we simply move him on for the sake of his career and our finances.
 
Yellow Fever

Yellow Fever

New Member
I agree about Ryan Bennett. He played well enough for us over all three years in the PL and was just unlucky to have his last season so disrupted by injuries. If we do sign another CB, I think it's Turner who will move on and possibly Miquel could go out on loan. We need 4 CBs and RB should be one of them.
 
Din

Din

Well-Known Member
When Ryan Bennett plays well he's an excellent centre back. Premier League quality. I think had he not been so hampered by injuries he could've reached the high potential that he had. Injuries have certainly hindered him. He's certainly a better centre back than Martin, and probably better in the air than any other player at the club.
 
The Great Mass Debater

The Great Mass Debater

New Member
Similar to RvW's second goal against Braintree last year  0:43

 

Sit with the City fans who turn up

Free to join, free to read. Introduce yourself, pick a player thread, and get stuck into the next match thread.

Create a free account
Top