Is there a role for Lafferty this season?

  • Thread starter Personal Trainer
  • Start date
Personal Trainer

Personal Trainer

New Member
If his international performances could be replicated at Club level he would be a great squad player.
 
eatonparkboy

eatonparkboy

New Member
Trouble is, is International football at that level as good as the EPL? I watched ROI v Georgia last night just to see how Wes and Robbie played and to be honest, it was awful. I think we could have beaten both sides.
 
KeiranShikari

KeiranShikari

New Member
If Grabban is out for good then maybe. 

Highly doubt it though.
 
splutcho

splutcho

Moderator
Finland

Liechtenstein

Sweden

Georgia

San Marino

Poland

Faroe Islands

Finland

Hungary

Faroe Islands

Greece

Finland

Finland

Faroe Islands

Hungary

This is a list of the countries against which Lafferty's goals have come. Now I am well aware that he can only score against what he's put up against, but I think people are slightly overstating the importance and quality of international football. He is not as good a striker as Cameron Jerome.
 
Wiz

Wiz

New Member
Apart from maybe Hungary and Poland there's some pretty weak teams in that list splutcho.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
ZLF

ZLF

Well-Known Member
For this weekend I can see him pushing ahead of hooper & grabban for the second striker sub spot on the bench - all three appear to be performing at a similar level. However his work ethic puts him ahead of hooper in our system so his goal should have elevated him to that position.    Cant see we have anything to lose in that. 

However jerome has performed more consistently at a higher level for us than lafferty for c15 months and well before that too;   add in mbokani being the managers new toy its hard to see lafferty being ahead of them.

He is ultimately a champs level player in form for his country;   I am far from convinced that makes him a starter in the prem. 
 
Scott

Scott

Active Member
Loan, probably. Don't think he is good enough for the premier league
 
Gorlestongirl

Gorlestongirl

New Member
It will be interesting to see what Neil does with Lafferty. On the face of it, he seems up for a battle on the pitch, both positively in terms of late minute goals, and in terms of a poor disciplinary record.  I agree that the teams he has faced have not matched what PL teams offer in terms of skill and play- acting.  He always looks like a red card waiting to happen.  But the goal against Hungary last night made me wonder whether a match fit Lafferty on an international high can offer something.  Last thought is how he fits into the much talked about team spirit.  Better than Grabban perhaps. 
 
ZLF

ZLF

Well-Known Member
I remain perplexed by his rumoured disciplinary problems - 1 red card in the last 5 years, and that for his country.    He plays hard and is committed,  several of his bookings for us were like tetteys,   good game management when letting the player go would have cost us;  yes he did it crudely & does earn him yellows but since being sent off for rangers v hibs he seems to have been more in control.

More worried about the poor finishing when he had the chance last season and the fact that his career is centered on lower leagues and sudden increases in capability are unlikely to happen.    2nd striker sub ahead of hooper is good for me.    
 
eatonparkboy

eatonparkboy

New Member
Robbie Keane is playing in the US but still scores for ROI. I think that sums up current international football standards. 
 
GazzaTCC

GazzaTCC

Active Member
"Ahead of Hooper", really?

Hoops is a natural finisher, can't say the same for Lafferty I'm afraid. One goal in something like 17 Championship appearances last season tells me all I need to know.
 
R

RhythmicTheory

New Member
In the guys defense that was mostly played on the wing and the first part of the season we didnt exactly have a defined strategy for going forward that i could see!
 
morty

morty

Moderator
Staff member
He is saying in the press that he won't take the easy option of going out on loan, and that he wants to stay and fight for his place.

Hmmm.....
 
Dubai Mark

Dubai Mark

Active Member
I would be surprised to see him even on the bench on Saturday, what he has done for us and how he is in training and in fitness level is what the manager will make his decision on. 
 
Watling the Gnome

Watling the Gnome

New Member
We always have a player - in the reserves or not in first team plans - which our fans take up as a cause celebré as a weapon to bash the manager/football club with.  So I think Lafferty's role this season will be that one.  This season's Becchio.
 
Boyerboy

Boyerboy

New Member
Surely the clue is that he didn't go to Rotherham. If he was in the picture at all he would have been in that squad.  
 
splutcho

splutcho

Moderator
We always have a player - in the reserves or not in first team plans - which our fans take up as a cause celebré as a weapon to bash the manager/football club with.  So I think Lafferty's role this season will be that one.  This season's Becchio.
Sounds about right. Nice to see you back for a visit Mr Gnome.
 
Din

Din

Well-Known Member
I would quite like us to give him an opportunity up front in the cup against West Brom in a couple of weeks, but tbh I don't see him having a role. Jerome, Mbokani and Hooper are all ahead of him, and if Grabban is re-introduced into the side at some point then he'll be ahead of him as well. I imagine he'll likely go out on loan.
 
Shyster

Shyster

Member
I doubt Neil has kept hold of him for shits & giggles, so I expect we'll see Lafferty in first team action at some stage.
 
K

Killiecanary

New Member
Gives us a back up third striker if Hooper is injured as he currently is...unlikely to feature much but imagine AN is happy to have him as an option
 

Sit with the City fans who turn up

Free to join, free to read. Introduce yourself, pick a player thread, and get stuck into the next match thread.

Create a free account
Top