By using Norwichtalk.com services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

January business....

Canaryboy

Canaryboy

Any surprises you think, good or bad, and do we need anything?

Personally I can't see us doing any permanent business whilst we don't know what division we are going to be in, but still potential to bring in some real quality with perhaps a view to buy, or an agreed fee if promoted? Somebody on the edges of a Premier League side or Bundesliga side perhaps?

If we weren't so short of homegrown players then it wouldn't have surprised me to see Ben Marshall leave for first team football, but surely need him for the quotas?

Canaryboy

Canaryboy

Could we be in for a bit of a nasty surprise if we get promoted this season RE: promotion clauses?

The £4m rising to £7m for Wildschut for example, if he is contracted at the point at which we get promoted then do we owe Wigan £1m, £2m, possibly even £3m? Never thought about that one before to be honest, and could explain why we gave him to Bolton on a try before you buy... hoping they took him off our hands in January to avoid this liability?

If we mutually terminated his contract in January would Wigan come after us claiming foul play there?

We know that there is no agreed fee in the Rhodes loan, so promotion doesn't trigger an obligation to buy him.... but I do wonder about possible promotion add-ons for other signings like Oliviera.

N

Number 9

Being towards the top of the League is perfect time to attract new players, however, as Mr Gills said before going to the dark side, when you have kids playing so well and making positions their own it's difficult to see progression.
ie. Jamal and Max, if you're a left or right back looking to move to City, you see two kids and barring untimely injuries unless you're significantly better than those two you aint getting a game for a long while.
Same for right and left backs in the u23's.
There ain't many positions to fill when you look at it.
Keeper- Unlikely in January.
Defence - we have cover for defenders.
Midfield- Lots of players coming back from injury, not really enough positions to fill.
Strikers- We have players who can't get a game, they score on the odd cup / u23 game but can't all play at once.

Reports saying we're looking at a midfielder- can't believe he'll be better than Leitner? Onel? or Emi? Todd? Superman? McClean? etc.

Fenway Frank

Fenway Frank

I’d like to think that Oliveira will move on but that would probably be on loan with potential to be permanent. Same with Pinto as his contract is coming to an end. Will we do a deal with Naismith to cut our ties ? Personally I would hope so just to get things done and dusted.

N

Number 9

Is there any chance that he could score goals between now and the end of the season?
I know it's unlikely, but unlikely things happen.

G

GJP

I think we could do with someone in the wide areas unless they think Jarvis could have a role to play. If he stays fit for the next few weeks that could start to look more likely.

Another striker maybe too. But that'd likely depend on outgoings.

Canaryboy

Canaryboy

Number 9.... makes no sense to sign a keeper until we know what division we are in next season.

If its the Championship then it would be a number 2 to Krul, perhaps one with longer term potential.

If it is the Premier League then it will no doubt be one with a view to them taking the number 1 shirt off Krul, or at least of equal quality, like Ruddy when he was demoted to number 2 at Wolves.

That's the problem isn't it.... permanent signings don't make sense at this stage. You spend £2m on a player who is good at this level, and suddenly he's not quite good enough for your 25 man squad in the league above.

Loan market seems most sensible, perhaps a homegrown player or two.

If there is a talented homegrown winger available on loan then perhaps that would allow Ben Marshall out on loan? He must surely be seeking a move, he's rated too highly at this level to not be getting football for somebody.

Perhaps a striker on loan if we shed Oliviera, if Farke doesn't consider Carlton Morris right or ready?

What's our plan if Jamal Lewis gets injured? Perhaps it is left back where we could do with a backup, now that Stiepermann is our best number 10... unless that's James Husband for the final 5 months?

morty

morty

Staff member
Would love to get rid of Oliviera and Wildschutt, but it would push Webber's skills to the limits I think, especially with the latter.

I still wonder about Raggett, what did we actually buy him for if he wasn't the sort of ball playing centre half that Farke likes? Purely punt him on for a profit?

Really, I can't see us doing much business either way, either out or in. Getting to the end of the window and still having what we have got will be an achievement, people must be looking at the likes of Aarons, Lewis, Leitner, Buendia, Hernandez and Pukki.

Fenway Frank

Fenway Frank

I’m sure we’ll get our money back on Raggett, particularly if Rotherham stay up, I would imagine they have first dibs on him.

Din

Din

Would be more than happy to see McGovern sold and a homegrown 'keeper bought in. I know I've said it loads but having a homegrown goalkeeper on the bench is such a little thing but it'd be so handy to have in terms of the quota.

We've been linked with Hostel Kiel winger Kingsley Schindler a few times over the last few months, and he's now apparently been told he can leave so wouldn't be surprised to see us make a move for him. Particularly as we only really have one skilful, pacey winger in Hernandez. If he gets injured, as he has done a couple of times this season, we've got no-one who can fulfil that role. We've also been linked with Will Vaulks, a defensive midfielder for Rotherham whose had a very good season. Not sure who he'd come in for seeing as we have Tettey, Leitner, Vrancic, Trybull and McLean all competing for that position.

Offloading Oliveira, Wildschut and Pinto would be a bonus too. Oliveira I couldn't care less about where he goes. It'll be a shame to see Ivo go as in general he's been a very good player, but he's never getting back in front of Max Aarons and so if we can get his wages off the books then that can only be a good thing.

In general though, if the window passes and we haven't signed anyone or lost anyone, I'll be happy. The most important thing is we keep hold of all our first team players.

N

Number 9

We've also been linked with Will Vaulks, a defensive midfielder for Rotherham whose had a very good season. Not sure who he'd come in for seeing as we have Tettey, Leitner, Vrancic, Trybull and McLean all competing for that position.
Tettey has been crucial to our success under previous managers, the way we fell apart during that game against Newcastle I believe it was, when he was bizarrely subbed off by Alex Neill, was symptomatic of the reliance on him to break up attacks in front of our defence.

We are a slightly different team now though and important a player as he is, I'm not sure the team relies solely on him to the extent it used to.
Yes we have a few players who cover that position when Tettey is out too, where it used to be the woeful Dorrans and Mulumbu, now we have the list you've mentioned plus I believe Ben Godfrey / Louis Tompson who could do that job (if I recall correctly)

Fenway Frank

Fenway Frank

If it wasn’t for injury I think Thompson would have had a few games in place of Tettey, plus he’s homegrown too

G

GJP

He's not got too long left though to be fair, seems to be holding up well regarding injuries this season but, isn't going to last forever.
Depends when his legs "go". I'm older than him and my legs haven't gone.

Reactions: Din
G

GJP

I thought they'd gone in pre-season a couple years ago tbf. Then I realised my shirt and shorts were a bit snug.

Canaryboy

Canaryboy

Dorrans was far from woeful. Just wasn't a natural holding midfielder.