Dubai Mark
Active Member
Whilst its par for the course for there to be one or two City players, who despite how things are going at the club, receive continual criticism. I must say that I am particularly disappointed with some of the things I have read elsewhere regarding John Ruddy and also for a longer period Russell Martin.
Sure, the occasional comment is fine and we all do it, and I am sure the players accept that, but this "give Rudd a chance" and "Ruddy is a liability" type comments I keep reading, are in my humble opinion well out of order and wide of the mark.
Ruddy Saturday was actually unlucky with the second West Ham goal, and on another day that punch could well have gone clear and not hit a West Ham player that led to the goal, and before that he had been absolutely exceptional, unless I was watching a different game. Ruddy is a very good goal keeper, and a goal keeper for me who is particular good at his positioning, hence he is usually in the right place to make those game changing saves, he IS a Premier League keeper no doubt. As for Rudd, he will get his chance, is clearly an exceptional young talent, and when given his chance will not let the club down, as he has already shown.
Now, Russell Martin..........don't know about you, but I am seeing a very decent CB partnership forming with Bassong (who has been excellent so far), they do compliment each other, and its also a bonus that he is chipping in with a few goals too. Sure he has made some errors......but how many CB's in this league dont make the occasional error, they are up against some of the best striker talent in the world, with even the lesser clubs strikers being top level, quick and powerful.
Sure the squad needs another quality CB as we are thin on the ground, and could be in trouble if we lose Bass and Martin at the same time, but for me Russell Martin fully deserves that shirt right now.
I just do get fed up with the continual focus on some of our players mistakes and was just in the mood to rattle on a bit about it.....
Sure, the occasional comment is fine and we all do it, and I am sure the players accept that, but this "give Rudd a chance" and "Ruddy is a liability" type comments I keep reading, are in my humble opinion well out of order and wide of the mark.
Ruddy Saturday was actually unlucky with the second West Ham goal, and on another day that punch could well have gone clear and not hit a West Ham player that led to the goal, and before that he had been absolutely exceptional, unless I was watching a different game. Ruddy is a very good goal keeper, and a goal keeper for me who is particular good at his positioning, hence he is usually in the right place to make those game changing saves, he IS a Premier League keeper no doubt. As for Rudd, he will get his chance, is clearly an exceptional young talent, and when given his chance will not let the club down, as he has already shown.
Now, Russell Martin..........don't know about you, but I am seeing a very decent CB partnership forming with Bassong (who has been excellent so far), they do compliment each other, and its also a bonus that he is chipping in with a few goals too. Sure he has made some errors......but how many CB's in this league dont make the occasional error, they are up against some of the best striker talent in the world, with even the lesser clubs strikers being top level, quick and powerful.
Sure the squad needs another quality CB as we are thin on the ground, and could be in trouble if we lose Bass and Martin at the same time, but for me Russell Martin fully deserves that shirt right now.
I just do get fed up with the continual focus on some of our players mistakes and was just in the mood to rattle on a bit about it.....